Futta Saur - The Mountain of Lakes Trek
5 Nights/6 Days
4 to 12 people
The trekFutta Saur, famously known as the "Mountain of Lakes" - is one of lesser known treks in the region. Locals claim that there are as many as 12 lakes scattered on this particular mountain. There are not very many people who would claim to have witnessed the mystique of these lakes, so far no living person has claimed to have seen all the lakes. Partly thanks for the snow, the trail is packed with snow all year round. The lakes are normally covered in mist but those who've seen the lakes have been left mesmerised.
As per the folklore, Futtasaur is the lake where rishi Jamdaagni performed an auspicious ritual. The trail for the trek start from the ancient village of Soil through the thick alpine forest. The terrain is rich in medicinal and exotic herbs. The air you breathe in is infused with the flora from the region and is rich enough to make some people light headed. During season, you can spot locals digging out some rare medicinal herbs like Naag chatri, Karu, Patish, Gugal and wild Garlic, these herbs sell for a good amount in International markets.The trail throughout the trek is gorgeous with views of some distant peaks, rare flora and fauna and massive Oak trees. Two trees large enough to shelter 5+ four-men tents, a kitchen tent, a bonfire area with space for about 10 ponies to spend the night under.
The trail begins in Haripur, 14 kms from Manali, meanders on Halaan Theli and finally leads on to Futta Saur which sits in the Pir Panjaal range of the Western Himalaya. We takes pride in being the pioneers in this trek as we have traversed these trails many a times to explore. Walk this path least travelled with our experienced guides to see the wonder that is the Elusive Futta Saur – Mountain of lakes.
- Max. Altitude: 14,290 feet
- Starting point of trek: Haripur, Manali
- Difficulty level: Easy to moderate
- Total Trekking Distance: 36 kms
- Average Daily Trekking: 6-7 hours
- Best Trekking Time: June to October
Day 1: Arrive at Basecamp - Soil - Guhad - Mindua | 8,410 ft. - 30 Mins Drive - 5 hrs Trek
Reporting time: 7:30 am - Please take the earliest bus from Delhi/Chandigarh
Arrive in Manali and we will be happy to pick you up from Patlikulh bus stop (14-16 kms before Manali bus station) to bring you to the basecamp. The climbers who have not stayed overnight with us at the basecamp, are welcome to join us for breakfast. A chat session with the team and the fellow climbers. Soon after we'll proceed to Soil, the oldest village in the Kullu Valley. A charming village in itself, the hike to Soil is easy and re-freshing, good start to the day.
After spending a little while in the village, we will proceed to Mindua. It's an easy hike to Guhad, trail opens up to a vast expanse of meadows surrounded with forests of Kharshu, Walnut, Chestnut, Bhojpatra trees. Another 4 to 5 hours will lead us to Mindua. We will pitch our tents here and camp overnight with some bonfire and dinner.
Day 2: Mindua – Shodupathar – Dhundha | 10,850 ft. - 5 hrs Trek
After a hearty breakfast, we'll start our ascent to Dhunda. The trail runs through thick Oak forests and the pure oxygen almost hurts the lungs. The trail will lead us to chowkigarh nalla, a small stream. We'll cross the stream to enter the lush green meadow amidst a thick Oak forest. We camp here for the night.
Day 3: Dhundha – Parkuni | 12,580 ft. - 7 hrs Trek
After the dose of energy packed breakfast, we leave for Parkuni. The trail meanders through thick forests of Birch, Rhododendron and Juniper. This region known for it it's various rare plants and herbs like Karu, Chora, Patish, Gugal, wild Garlic etc., which are known to have some high medicinal value.
We will camp for the night in Parkuni.
Day 4: Parkuni - Kukarban – Batarunaag Saur – Vasukinaag Saur – Futta Saur – Mata Kotli Saur – Parkuni | 14,290 ft., 8 hrs Trek
After breakfast, we will trek for about 45 minutes to reach the first lake ‘Batarunaag Saur’. A short walk will bring us to one of the most ethereal lakes; ‘Vasukinaag Saur’. A short distance from here basks the elusive lake ‘Futta Saur’ and ‘Mata Kotli Saur’. I have chosen to call them “Elusive” as they are almost always hidden in mist and give the illusion that they are just a stone’s throw away.
The terrain here is a bit rocky and not very suitable for camping. So, our tents will remain pitched at Parkuni while we will trek to the lakes and back well in time for dinner and bonfire (if conditions permit). Turn into your sleeping bags and slide into a blissful sleep while atop the Mountain of Lakes.
Day 5: Parkuni – Shodupathar | 9,900 ft. - 6 hrs
Unwind and chill with some breakfast at Parkuni. From here, we retrace our steps backwards to reach the campsite at Shodupatha, we pitch our tent here for the night. The challenging part of the trek is over.
Day 6: Shodupathar – Soil – Base Camp | 9,900 ft. - 6 hrs
After breakfast we will leave from Shodupathar for the basecamp at Haripur. Reach Base Camp and unwind and celebrate with some hot lunch.
Relax at the base camp before we part ways here to meet soon for our next adventure.Take the bus back to Delhi from Manali at 5:00 pm to wrap up your tour.
- Pick up and drop from patlikuhl bus stop in manali
- Stay in 2/3 men tents during the trek
- All meals (vegetarian) during the trek ( 6 breakfast, 6 lunches and 5 Dinners)
- Experienced MOI and rescue management qualified lead guide and BMC qualified assistant guide
- All camping staff - cook, helpers, etc.
- All trekking equipment (dining, sleeping, kitchen, sleeping bags, mats etc.
- Bus tickets
- Insurance of any form (personal/ baggage/ medical)
- Cost of any form of insurance (Personal/Baggage/Medical)
- Cost of rescue, evacuation, hospitalization, etc.
- Any expenses of purely personal nature like laundry, phone/Fax calls, tips to drivers, guides, any beverages.
- Any expenses that arise due to change in itinerary and increase in no. of days because of natural forces like landslides, weather, roadblocks, flight cancellations, sickness etc.
- Nominal cost for bonfire, barbeque and all meals at Mountaineerz base in Haripur (choice of veg/ non-veg).
- Cost of any optional activity we offer, like paragliding, angling, rafting etc.
- Porterage @INR. 450 per day per 10 kg bag
We suggest guests arrive at our base in Haripur, 14-16 kms from Manali on the Naggar road, the night before the start of the trek. All guests are welcome to stay with compliments of Base Camp in rooms on sharing basis. Unwind, relax, go angling, and interact with the team over BBQ and bonfire (*) before commencing the trek next morning and also on the day of return.
- If coming straight to our base in Haripur get down at Patlikuhl bus stand, 16 km before New Manali bus stand.
- Do not forget your camera’s extra batteries
- Wear clothes you are comfortable in and do not forget waterproof jackets and warm clothing.
- A pair of good trekking shoes is a must and packing a pair of gaiters is suggested.
- Soak up the atmosphere – close your eyes and take in the sights and sounds as you explore and observe.
- Do not litter the environment. Polythene and plastics are non-biodegradable and unhealthy for the environment and must not be littered or burned and carried back.
Adventure Gear List:
- Woolen balaclava/ monkey cap, woolen scarf and muffler,
- 1 pair thermal under-garments,
- Thin Warm sweaters,
- water proof track pants,
- waterproof jackets,
- 2 Woolen socks,
- 2 cotton socks,
- Rain gear (Jacket, trousers/ Parkha)
- Warm jacket,
- Waterproof gloves-Woolen gloves,
- 2-3 Full sleeves T – Shirts,
- Sun block lotion Chap-stic (lip salve),
- Good hiking waterproof shoes with ankle support
- Slippers ,Camera & films Sun Glasses, Water bottle, One duffel bag for personal items not more than 5 kgs (to be carried by porter) , Torch, One rucksack for item of your daily use (to be carried by you) Personal Medicine
We understand life can be unpredictable at times, and that plans can change.
- From confirmation up to 30 days prior to departure - 10% of the total amount payable would be charged*
- Between 15 - 29 days – 50% would be refunded*
- Less than 15 days prior to departure 100%.
* Additional 2.5% would be added as gateway charges.
In case of unforeseen weather conditions or government restrictions, certain activities may be cancelled and in such cases we will try our best to provide an alternate feasible activity. However no refund will be provided for the same. For last minute emergencies we offer future trip credits on a case by case basis.
- All programs are subject to change due to political reason, natural calamities, serious sickness, and special reasons.
- Please note that cancellation charges also apply to reductions in group size, not only for cancellations of entire bookings.
- We might be forced to change/modify the itinerary and also reserves the right to do so, due to unforeseen disruptions by natural forces. If any costs increase due to this change, the client would be requested to pay the additional amount in Manali.
- Operator reserves the right to change or modify the itinerary due to unforeseen circumstances. If any costs increase due to this change, the client would be requested to pay the additional amount in Manali.