Stairway to Heaven: Trek to Chandertaal over Hampta Pass
4 Nights/5 Days
6 to 7 people
The trek to Chandertaal is ideal for first-time trekkers as it packs in everything from crossing a high pass, dark pine forests, open meadows to glacial valleys and stunning views, all of which combine to give you an adventure of a lifetime. It is one of the most fascinating, less frequented and an easy trek, beginning from Manali and leading in to The Lahaul Valley of Himachal Pradesh. The path was also the ancient trade route between the Kullu and Lahaul Valley.
Legend has it that this is the path The Pandavas took on their way to heaven and that it was Chandertaal from where Yudhishtra (Eldest amongst the Pandavas of Mahabharata epic) was taken to heaven in his mortal form…. No wonder we call this path ‘Stairway to Heaven’.
- Complimentary stay at base camp located in Soil, which is an experience as great as the trek.
- Unlike most, we do the greatest stretch of the trek ‘Kunzum La to Chandertaal’ - which is without any argument the best part of this trek.
- Visit Kaza, Ki and Kibber after the trek.
- Cost includes porterage for your personal luggage, so that you enjoy the trek to the fullest without getting tired.
- Group size restricted to a maximum of 7 ensuring maximum safety.
Day 0: Delhi- Chandigarh – Base Camp, Manali (12 – 14 hrs.)
Day 1: Base Camp – Prini – Chikka (3530 m), 40 min. drive then walk 6/7 hrs.
Day 2: Chikka -Juara - Bhalu ka Ghera (3627 m) – Ratni Thach (3800 m)
Day 3: Ratni Thach - Hampta pass (4298 m) – Shiya Goru (3597 m)
Day 4: Shiya Goru – Chattru (33600 m) – Kunzum La (4590 m) – Chandertaal (4300 m)
Day 5: Chandertaal – Losar – Kaza – Ki – Kibber – Chatru – Rohtang La (3980 m) – Manali.
Day 0: Delhi- Chandigarh – Base Camp, Haripur, Manali (12 – 14 hrs.)
Arrive in Manali in the morning and reach Base Camp, Haripur, Manali. Unwind after the long drive. Later meet the team. Explore surroundings like the beautiful ‘somvan’ by the river Beas, Naggar Castle, Roerich art Gallery etc. Back in time for relaxed evening over bonfire and early dinner to get up early in the morning.
Day 1: Haripur – Prini – Juara (3000 m) (40 minutes’ drive then walk 6/7 hrs)
In the morning after breakfast drive 15 km to Prini. From here, trek to Chikka. The trek crosses many glacial streams over improvised wooden bridges. After passing through a narrow gorge and we arrive at Chikka. Set up camp by the side of the stream.
Day 2 Juara - Balu ka Ghera
Today we will gradually ascend the valley, the trail continues to the alpine meadows which is full of interesting flora, crossing stream at Juara, glacial features of the surrounding mountains can be seen along the way.
Day 3: Balu ka Ghera - Hamta pass (4270 m) – Shiya Goru (3900 m)
Start the day by climbing up the Hamta pass (4270 m) walking on the snowfields. Time to to get trigger happy with your camera. From top of the pass you can see the majestic Mt. Deo Tibba (6001 m), Indrasan (6221 m) and the mighty Greater Himalayan and Pir Panjal Range.. A short descent leads to the campsite at Shiya Goru. Camp in a beautiful meadow by the stream.
Day 4: Shiya Goru – Chatru (3200 mts) – Chandertaal
Today’s trek begins with crossing a small stream and is a leisurely walk following the valley stream down to the mighty River Chandra. Arriving by the side of Manali-Spiti road at Chatru stop here for tea and lunch break after that drive to Chandertaal via Batal. The trail continues to the scenic campsite at the bank of Chandertal, from here you can see the panoramic view of the Chandra-Bhaga Range.
Day 5: Chandertaal - Batal—Manali – Delhi
Spend the morning at leisure by the mesmerising Chandertaal lake before we drive back to Manali via Rohtang Pass (3980 m) and Marhi. Rohtang Pass offers splendid view of the Lahaul Valley. Back to Manali.
Drive back to Delhi from Manali to wrap up your tour.
**Guests who are travelling the next day are welcome to stay the night at no extra cost. Relax at the base camp or go angling (some nice spots near our base) the next day, before we part ways here to meet soon for our next adventure.
- stay at ‘dA Base’ located in an orchard in Soil, Manali.
- Pick up and drop from Patlikuhl bus stand, Manali
- Stay in 2-3 men tents during trek.
- All meals during the trek (nutritious freshly cooked vegetarian)
- Services of experienced MOI/ BMC qualified lead guide and qualified assistant guide
- Kitchen equipment, cook and helper
- All the Camping arrangements
- Porterage – pony/porter for your personal belongings (in the luxury package)
- Wildlife/ environmental permits and other permits & levies.
- All transportation as per itinerary in local cars and jeeps
- Guaranteed amazing Himalayan experiential adventure holiday.
- Cost of travel to and from Manali from your city
- Cost of any form of insurance (Personal/Baggage/Medical)
- Cost of rescue, evacuation, hospitalization, etc.
- Any expenses of purely personal nature like laundry, phone/Fax calls, tips to drivers, guides, any beverages.
- Any expenses that arise due to change in itinerary and increase in no. of days because of natural forces like landslides, weather, roadblocks, flight cancellations, sickness etc.
- Nominal cost for bonfire, barbeque and all meals at Mountaineerz base in Haripur (choice of veg/ non-veg).
- Cost of any optional activity we offer, like paragliding, angling, rafting etc.
- We suggest guests arrive at our base in Haripur, 14 kms from Manali on the Naggar road, the night before the start of the trek.
- All guests are welcome to stay with compliments at Mountaineerz Base in Haripur, Manali in rooms on sharing basis. Unwind, relax, go paragliding, rafting or angling and later interact with the team over BBQ and bonfire (**) before commencing the trek next morning and also on the day of return.
- Stay in Manali can be upgraded to 4-5* hotel/ cottage on prior notice. Stay and meals cost as applicable.
- If coming straight to our base in Haripur get down at Patlikuhl bus stand, 14 km short of New Manali bus stand.
- Wear shoes and clothes you are comfortable in and do not forget waterproof jackets and warm clothing.
- Soak up the atmosphere – close your eyes and take in the sights and sounds as you explore and observe.
- Do not litter the environment. Polythene and plastics are non-biodegradable and unhealthy for the environment and must not be littered or burned and should be carried back.
Adventure Gear List:
Woollen cap and woollen gloves, thermal under-garments, warm sweater, woollen trousers / thick track pants for trekking, woollen socks, rain gear (jacket, trousers/ parkha), warm jacket, torch, full sleeves t – shirts, sun block lotion, chap-stick (lip salve), good hiking (preferably waterproof) shoes with ankle support, gaiters, camera, films, battery backup etc. one duffel bag for personal items (sky bags etc. will not be accepted to be carried by horse– not more than 10 kg strictly), one knapsack for item of daily use (to be carried by you), personal medicine
Maximum Altitude: 4270 meters
Route: Manali – Chikka – Hampta Pass – Chattu – Chandertaal – Kunzum La – Kaza – Kibber – Losar – Rohtang Pass – Manali
- From confirmation up to 30 days prior to departure - 10% of the total amount payable would be charged
- Between 15 - 29 days – 50% would be refunded
- Less than 15 days prior to departure 100%.
In the case of unforeseen weather conditions or government restrictions, certain activities may be canceled and in such cases, we will try our best to provide an alternate feasible activity. However, no refund will be provided for the same. For last minute emergencies, we offer future trip credits on a case by case basis.
- All programs are subject to change due to political reason, natural calamities, serious sickness, and special reasons.
- Please note that cancellation charges also apply to reductions in group size, not only for cancellations of entire bookings.
- WE might be forced to change/modify the itinerary and also reserves the right to do so, due to unforeseen disruptions by natural forces. If any costs increase due to this change, the client would be requested to pay the additional amount in Manali.
- In case the roads closed and Chandertaal is inaccessible we will camp at Chattru.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Some of our own trek leaders are qualified, experienced ladies. All treks are extremely safe for ladies and we have a lot of solo clients who are ladies.
2 travellers found this helpful
You need to carry an original ID card and a photograph.
There are no doctors on the trek; however our trek leaders are experienced in first aid and basic medical protocols.
Reporting/Start Point:Pick-up from Patlikuhl Bus Stand, 16 kms of Manali