Nag Tibba Trek
1 Nights/2 Days
2 to 12 people
Nag Tibba lies on the foothills of the Garhwal Himalayas, North-East of Mussoorie. The peak is at an altitude of 3100m. It offers spectacular views of Mussoorie, Vikashnagar, the banderpoonch range and spurs created by the Yamuna river valley. NagTibba is a typical ridge peak on the NagTibba Range of the lower Himalayas. In fact, along with the Pir Punjal and Dhauladhar; the Nag Tibba range forms one of the 3 main ranges of the lower Himalayas. It is mentioned in the very famous book '7 years in Tibet' which chronicles the escape of Hienrich Harrier from the British into Tibet. There is a temple dedicated to Nag Devta and the range owes its name to this temple.
- Climbing the Nag Tibba peak.
- Incredible views of the peaks of Nanda Devi, Bunderpunch, Chaukhamba, etc.
- The scenic villages of remote Uttarakhand
- Beautiful meadows, spectacular views, and lovely walk through deodar, oak, and pine forests.
Day 01: Dehradoon to Pantwari (95kms Drive) and 6kms Trek To Nag Tibba Campsite
We begin the day early from Dehradoon. This way we can avoid the traffic towards Mussoorie and Kamptee falls. Mussoorie is 22kms from Dehradoon and Kamptee falls another 17kms further. The road continues downhill from here towards the Yamuna river bed and reaches the town of Nainbagh. One road continues towards yamunotri while we take the narrower road which climbs uphill towards Pantwari village. This takes us behind the Mussoorie ridge and into shepherd territory. Gujjars with their domesticated sheep and goats are seen on hill tops.
After an hour later we reach Pantwari village and begin our ascent to our camping site. With mules carrying the luggage one can enjoy the village setting and life. Women are seen working on the wheat and green pea fields. Men are mainly employed in government jobs in the plains or work as porters and guides. Our trekking trail rises beyond the farms and enters wild territory.We reach our camping ground by evening to enjoy the sunset over the hill spurs. The camping ground is flush with mint leaves which can be mixed to form a delightful brew of mint tea or the kandali shrub can be washed and cooked to form a tasty saag.
Day 02: Trek from Campsite to Nagtibba Top (6 Kms) and back To Pantwari (9 Kms) Drive Back To Dehradoon
We start the second day post breakfast and climb to the Nag Devta temple. It is an ill maintained temple premise with no pujari but the locals come here frequently to pay their obeisance. There is a vast open space near the temple which is often used as a grazing ground for sheep and goats. The Nag Tibba ridge rises further up and is another 2 hours hike ahead. There is a distinct change in vegetation from here.
The forest become dense and is dominated by oaks and rhododendrons. The forest floor is also damp indicating the lack of sunlight reaching it. We follow the trail back to our campsite and after lunch head down to Pantwari village. The trek down is easy and fast and can be covered in a couple of hours. We then proceed onwards to Dehradoon by our transport.
- Transport (ex' Dehradoon only) starting from pickup on day 1 to drop on day 2
- Guide and cook fees
- Rent for camping equipment
- Forest entry charges
- Porter and mule support for carrying camping gear only
- All veg meals starting from day 1 snacks to day 2 lunch
- Any hotel stay in Dehradoon or Mussorie
- Transport to reach Dehradoon and back from Dehradoon
- Personal expenses like tips, medicines, phone calls
- Offloading personal luggage on mules is chargeable at 200 Rs per day per bag.
- Any transport not mentioned above
- No meals while travelling from Dehradoon to Pantwari and back from Pantwari.
- Best Season: Jan-Jun | Sep-Dec
- Level: Easy
- Total Distance: 18 km
- Maximum Elevation: 3050m Nagtibba Top
- Weather: The nights can be cold, day temperatures are pleasant during the season
- Restrictions: None
- Getting From/To: Mussorie is connected by road to Dehradoon and is a 90 minute drive.
- Equipment: None for walking
- 7+ Days: Full refund (after deducting any expenses that have been incurred for hotel bookings, transport, etc.)
- 7 Day Or Less: No refund
Reporting/Start Point:Pick-up from Dehradun, Uttarakhand