Ladakh: Stok Kangri Trek
7 Nights/8 Days
5 to 15 people
Situated at the height of 6,153 meters in Ladakh, Stok Kangri is one of the most fascinating treks in India. Located in Hemis National Park, Stock Kangri summit is clearly visible from Leh. Standing at the summit of Stok Kangri, you can view the Indus valley and Zanskar and Karakoram Range.
For its elevation, this is a moderate trek and can be done without the technical expertise provided one should have enough strength to climb. Also one can reach base camp after just 2-3 days of trekking. Having said that, this 6000 mts. + peak is no cake walk. Stok Kangri Trek still offers the usual challenges of a mountaineering expedition.
Stock Kangri trek comes with its challenges of thin air and high altitude but also presents multiple thrills and exposure.
July and August are considered to be the best months for Stock Kangri trek and the beauty of the place makes it an attractive trek options for all.
- Conquer a 6000 mts. (20,000 ft.) Himalayan peak
- Relish the panoramic views of the Indian Himalaya and Karakoram Range
- Camp in remote wild areas
- Trek through a Himalayan glacier and over high passes
Day 1: Arrive in Leh
On your arrival in Leh, you check-into the Guest House/Hotel arranged by us. Details of hotel are shared with you before your arrival itself. Minimum 2 days of acclimatization is essential for a high altitude trek like Stok Kangri. Evening can be utilized to explore the Leh and its surroundings.
Day 2: Acclimatisation and Exploration of Leh
On this day you can further explore Leh. Leh has a lot to offer in terms of culture, architecture and natural beauty. There are many monasteries and ancient temples and fort/palaces to see. Enjoy the local as well as global cuisines available in Leh, thanks to its varied tourist inflow.
Day 3: Leh (11500 ft.) to Chang Ma (13087 ft.) via Stok Village (11800 ft.)
On this day you start you trekking expedition with an incredible drive to Stok Village. Today you get to see beautiful landscapes of the Ladakh region and peaks surrounding Leh town. Weather during this time of year is pleasant with little chance of rain. Stok village is home to a royal palace which has a small museum inside. Crossing Stok Village we reach Chang Ma where we set camps and go on a short acclimatization walk.
Day 4: Chang Ma (13087 ft.) to Mankorma (14200 ft.)
This day is an easy day with short trek along a river and streams. Mankarmo has a Parachute café. After reaching here we set our camp. Mankarmo offers a great Camping experience.
Day 5: Mankorma (14200 ft.) to Base camp (16300 ft.)
Stok Kangri Trek base camp is a few hours trek from Mankorma. Camsite here is surrounded by many water bodies like lakes & streams. Take a short hike, up the mountain to get incredible views of the surrounding area. Peaks like Parcha Kangri and Gulap are visible from here. Getting sufficiently acclimatized is very important at this altitude as in next few days you will experience thin air and steep increase in altitude. Night temperatures can drop quite low here.
Day 6: Acclimatization & Practice (Rest + Training day)
Today is the final preparation day for the summit day. In the briefings today you will be explained all the possibilities and challenges involved. You will understand all details about technical equipment to be used through a training session on Ice Axe, Crampons, Rope etc. Climbing techniques like ascending & descending in snow, self-arresting using an ice axe will be explained. We go to bed early today as we will start the summit attempt at mid of night.
Day 7: Base camp (16300 ft.) to Stok Kangri (20080 ft.) Summit and back to base camp.
Everyone will wake-up at 12.30AM today. After technical gear distribution, we start our walk towards summit at 2:00 AM. The route to Stok Kangri summit passes through glaciers and finally leads to steep slope to the summit ridge. It is a long climb taking 9-10 hours. From summit one gets the 360 degree view of the region. From Karakoram in North to Zanskar ranges in South, it is an incredible view in morning light. Descend back to the base camp. Overnight stay in Camps.
Day 8: Base camp to Leh
After summiting a 6000 Meter peak, we start back towards Leh with our heads high. It’s a gradual descend to Stok Village from where we drive to Leh. But before you end the day, you would see a lot of snow clad beauty and memorable view of mountain ranges. The joy of Ladakh trekking can be rejuvenated from this spot. As the day rises, you would have to start coming back from Base camp to Leh.
- Camping during the trek and Guest House Stays in Leh (Day 1, Day 2)
- Meals while on trek (Breakfast, Lunch, Evening Snacks & Dinner)
- All Technical equipment
- IMF Permission & Trekking permit
- First aid medical kits and oxygen cylinder
- Qualified & experienced trek Leader, Guide and Support staff
- Transport from Leh to Road head and return
- Meals in during stay in Leh
- Meals during road Journeys
- Any kind of personal expenses
- Any kind of Insurance
- Mules or porter to carry personal luggage
- Anything not specifically mentioned under the head Inclusions
- Region: Laddakh
- Difficulty Level: Challenging
- Max Altitude: 6152 M / Stok Kangri
- A basic mountaineering course is recommended though not mandatory.
- At least 2-3 treks in the Himalayas
- Medical fitness certificate from CMO of a recognized hospital
What to Pack
Here is your checklist for this trek. Make sure you pack all these items for a comfortable trekking experience.
- Trekking Gear
- A rucksack with rain cover
- A water bottle or a hydration pack
- A Hand/Head Torch with spare batteries
- UV Protection Sunglasses
- A trekking pole
- Quick Dry Warm lower or Track Pants- 3
- Full sleeves T-shirts- 5
- Thermal Bodywarmer Upper & Lower- 3
- Fleece Jacket-1
- Padded Jacket-1
- Full sleeves sweater- 2
- Rainwear (Jacket & Pants) -1
- Thick woolen socks- 5 pairs
- Undergarments - 1 for every day of trekking
- Pair of Warm Gloves - 1
- Woolen cap - 1
- A Sun cap or biker scarf to protect from the sun.
- Non-skid deep trod hiking shoes Qty -1
- Pair of lightweight Slipper/Sandals Qty -1
- Sunscreen lotion, lip balm, toothbrush, toothpaste, hand sanitizer, toilet roll, cold cream, small towel.
- Anti-fungal cream: Carry an antifungal cream if you are sensitive to sweating and prone to skin irritations around genitals or groin area due to lack of bathing.
- Cancellations up to 30 days prior to departure date - 5% deduction
- Between 30 days to 15 days prior to departure - 50% deduction
- Less than 15 days of departure - No Refund