Ramappa Temple is located in a valley near Palampet village of Warangal District. As per the inscriptions found in the temple, the temple was established by a General named Recherla Rudra of King Ganapathi Deva of Kakatiya in the year 1213. The main deity in this temple is Lord Shiva and is termed as “Sri Ramalingeswara”. The temple was named after the Vishwakarma Sthapathi Ramappa who actually came from Karnataka State. It took nearly 40 years of period to be completed. The temple was constructed over a Star-Shaped platform. The carvings on the walls, pillars and ceilings are astonishing piece of art. Enormous figures from Hindu Mythology were sculpted over pillars, ceilings and roofs. The bricks which were used to construct the sanctum sanctorum (Garbhalaya) are very light in weight that they float when put in water. In this temple the statue of Nandi (Bull) was sculpted in such a way that posture of Nandi has the alertness to take order from Lord Shiva. The temple itself occupies 5 acres of land. The Perini Dance postures revived by Acharya Nataraja Ramakrishnan were actually taken from the sculptures found in this temple.
THINGS TO KNOW
Telugu & English