Chandratal Lake Road Trip & Camping
1 Nights/2 Days
2 to 10 people
The ride to Chandratal – The Moon Lake is truely a 2 day crash course to riding around Spiti. Not to be played around with, you really need to know your stuff to venture into the looming scree mountains and unforgiving terrain of Spiti. Motorbike off-road trip to Chandertaal offers a rush of a lifetime and a view of the “Promised Land”.
Chandratal is known as the Moon Lake (from its crescent shape) and shimmers at an altitude of 4,300 mts (14,000 ft) in the Spiti region of the Lahoul and Spiti district of the state of Himachal Pradesh. Chandertaal feeds the fierce river Chandra and is almost 2.5 Km in circumference. It is in turn fed by glacier Samudri Taapu. The ride starts from our basecamp in Manali and passes through the lush green forests of Marhi, Gulaba and on to Rohtang Pass (a 3 to 4 hour ride depending on your riding skills and the killer traffic). The non-existent road leads to Chhatru and then on to Batal. Chandertal is just 38 km from here and we will camp just before the lake at an exotic location
Route: Manali - Marhi - Gulaba - Rohtang Pass - Chhatru - Batal - Chandratal
- Adventurous on-road & off-ride ride to Chandratal
- Camping, stargazing, bonfire at Chandratal Lake
- Reach Kunzum La situated at 4551 mts. (15018 ft.)
Day 1: Arrive in Manali - Drive/Ride to Chandratal | 140 km - 8 hours
Reach Patlikulh Bus Stop by 6AM, 16 kms before main Manali. Get picked-up by the team member and report at the Base Camp in Haripur and meet the team members over refreshments. After bike (RE 350 cc) allotment, we will depart at 7:00 am sharp for our off roading ride to looming landscape of Spiti. We'll take a refreshment break at Gulaba. We'll have an early lunch at Chhatru (estimated time: 4 hour from the start). Next stop Batal, where we'll stop for tea break. Chandertal is just 38 km from here and we will camp just before the lake at an exotic location in comfortable luxury camping tents.
Day 2: Ride back from Chandratal - Kunzum La - Batal - Chhatru - Rohtang Pass - Manali Basecamp | 140 km - 8 hours
After an early breakfast, we will leave from Chandertal and head on to Kunzum La, which is also the highest point of the trip. From here, we will ride back to Chhatru for lunch and then continue to the basecamp in Haripur, Manali while passing Rohtang Pass. From here, head on to board your buses to Delhi.
- Bike-Royal Enfield 350 cc (upgrade to 500 cc available as "Add on" and can be selected during booking online)
- Pick-up and drop to Patlikulh volvo bus stop
- Fuel cost (SUV only)
- Helmet for rider and pillion
- Back-up vehicle
- Mechanic cum guide (spares extra)
- Stay in 2-4 men premium hiking tents.
- All meals during camping (nutritious freshly cooked vegetarian)
- Services of experienced lead guide and qualified assistant guide
- Kitchen equipment, cook and helper
- All the Camping arrangements & equipments
- Wildlife/ environmental permits and other permits & levies.
- Cost of any form of insurance (Personal/Baggage/Medical)
- Bike fuel cost (bike)
- Meals during the trip at "Dhabas"
- Pick-up from Manali city (available as "Add on" and can be selected during booking online)
- Cost of rescue, evacuation, hospitalization, etc.
- Any expenses of purely personal nature like laundry, phone/fax calls, tips to drivers, guides, any beverages.
- Any expenses that arise due to change in itinerary and increase in no. of days because of natural forces like landslides, weather, roadblocks, flight cancellations, sickness etc.
- Cost of any optional activity we offer, like paragliding, angling, rafting etc.
- Ride might need rescheduling due to weather disruptions or any situation which we do not ahve control over
- Wear shoes and clothes you are comfortable in and do not forget waterproof jackets and warm clothing. Avoid Denims.
- Do not litter the environment. Polythene and plastics are non-biodegradable and unhealthy for the environment and must not be littered or burned and should be carried back.
- Cancellation request 15 days from departure date - Full Refund*
- 14 to 7 days from departure date - 50% Refund*
- Less then 7 days from departure date - No Refund
- Free re-scheduling - Minimum 7 days in advance
* Cancellation charge of 2.5% of total amount is applicable
Select from the list of add-ons to customize this activity
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Our thoroughly researched itineraries are designed to offer you access to some of the world\'s best-kept secrets. We have personally explored the destinations we offer with in-depth knowledge that goes towards making your experience more than worth your while. However, at times due factors beyond any one’s control, situations may arise which can pose a challenge to the safety and security of the group members. To minimize any negative impact, we subscribe strictly to “Safety Protocol” which is an intensive and comprehensive compilation of safety and security measures undertaken to ensure a seamless and safe experience for its guests. There are factors which are controllable and attention to them ensures lower risks and toned down consequences.
2 travellers found this helpful
Some of our own trek leaders are qualified, experienced ladies. All treks are extremely safe for ladies and we have a lot of solo clients who are ladies.
3 travellers found this helpful
You need to carry an original ID card and a photograph.
3 travellers found this helpful
There are no doctors on the trek; however our trek leaders are experienced in first aid and basic medical protocols.