Indrahar Pass Trek: Dharamshala to Chamba
5 Nights/6 Days
4 to 12 people
A mountain pass in the Dhouladhar ranges of the Himalayas at an altitude of 4,342 meters the Indrahar Pass is located near the tourist town of Dharamshala in Himachal Pradesh. Indrahar Pass is the most essential part of the popular trekking route from Dharamshala. Laying across the Dhauladhar ranges the Indrahar Pass brings the endless fascinating ranges of high, rocky ridges; and relative proximity to the plains of the Himalayas. The ridges over the Dhaula Dhar do not lend themselves to easy trekking. This trek over the Indrahar pass is no exception, even though it follows one of the most established trails used by the Gaddi shepherds en-route to their summer grazing pastures in the upper Ravi Valley and Lahaul. All across the Indrahar Pass ranges the routes will include a continuous climb over the boulders. A trek to Indrahar Pass will bring the spectacular views of the Indian plains and a sacred peak of Mani Mahesh Kailash and the snowcapped Pir Panjal Range to the south of the pass. Beyond this pass a haphazard trail leads through the Hindu villages and temples to the upper Ravi valley.
Day 1: Mcleodganj - Triund
Team Mountaineerz will meet up with the guest at Mcleodganj Square (Near the market) . Followed by breakfast a brief on the entire program and distribution of equipment, your trek begins towards Triund passing through Dhramkot. The trail to Triund is generally gentle except last few kms. Dinner & overnight in tents.
Note: - Guest Need to arrive a day prior to the trek and make arrangements for your stay, the day before your trek commences
Day 3: Triund - Lahesh Cave
Post breakfast – This day the trail follows the ridge behind the prayer flags above the. The trail climbs generally through oakand conifer forest and across the open meadows to the encampment at Laka Got. The last 200 - 300 mts is tiring to Lahesh Cave. Dinner and overnight in tents.
Day 4: Lahesh Cave - Indrahar Pass - Chatru Parao
Early morning breakfast. Commence uphill trek with packed lunch. At the higher elevations there is a a steep 300 – 400 m ascent towards the crest of the Dhaula Dhar, before a 1 Km traverse just below the ridge to the Indrahar Pass. From the pass one can view Pir Panjal Range in the north and Mani Mahesh Kailash (5656 M) peak in the east. Descend from the pass to Chatru Parao. Dinner & overnight in tents
Day 5: Chatru Parao - Kuarsi
Start trek with packed lunch, the trail follows the true left of the valley for the first few kms. Later the trek crosses the valley on a permanent snow bridge and ascends steeply to an open meadow. Continue down the true right of the valley and after crossing a series of meadows finally descends to Kurasi. Dinner & overnight in tents.
Day 6: Kuarsi - Machetar - Chamba
Post breakfast, continue trek downhill with packed lunch. Today’s trek continues into the valley and from the top mountain views of the whole region can be seen. Descend along the Barley fields to hit the road head to Machetar. From Machetar drive to Chamba. Our journey ends, we part ways here to meet soon for our next adventure.
- 2 nights stay at ‘dA Base’ located in an orchard in Haripur, Manali.
- Pick up and drop from Patlikuhl bus stand, Manali
- Stay in 2-3 men tents during trek.
- All meals during the trek (nutritious freshly cooked vegetarian)
- Services of experienced MOI/ BMC qualified lead guide and qualified assistant guide
- Kitchen equipment, cook and helper
- All the Camping arrangements
- Porterage – pony/porter for your personal belongings (in the luxury package)
- Wildlife/ environmental permits and other permits & levies.
- All transportation as per itinerary in local cars and jeeps
- ‘Leave No Traces’ protocol charges.
- Guaranteed amazing Himalayan experiential adventure holiday.
- Cost of travel to and from Mcleoganj/Chamba from your city
- Cost of any form of insurance (Personal/Baggage/Medical)
- Cost of rescue, evacuation, hospitalization, etc.
- Any expenses of purely personal nature like laundry, phone/Fax calls, tips to drivers, guides, any beverages.
- Any expenses that arise due to change in itinerary and increase in no. of days because of natural forces like landslides, weather, roadblocks, flight cancellations, sickness etc.
- Nominal cost for bonfire, barbeque and all meals at Mountaineerz base in Haripur (choice of veg/ non-veg).
- Cost of any optional activity we offer, like paragliding, angling, rafting etc.
- porterage @INR. 300 per day in case alpine style trekkers need porter/pony
- We suggest guests arrive in Mcleodganj the night before the start of the trek.
- Wear shoes and clothes you are comfortable in and do not forget waterproof jackets and warm clothing.
- Soak up the atmosphere – close your eyes and take in the sights and sounds as you explore and observe.
- Do not litter the environment. Polythene and plastics are non-biodegradable and unhealthy for the environment and must not be littered or burned and should be carried back.
Adventure Gear List:
Woollen cap and woollen gloves, thermal under-garments, warm sweater, woollen trousers / thick track pants for trekking, woollen socks, rain gear (jacket, trousers/ parkha), warm jacket, torch, full sleeves t – shirts, sun block lotion, chap-stick (lip salve), good hiking (preferably waterproof) shoes with ankle support, gaiters, camera, films, battery backup etc. one duffel bag for personal items (sky bags etc. will not be accepted to be carried by horse– not more than 10 kg strictly), one knapsack for item of daily use (to be carried by you), personal medicine
We understand life can be unpredictable at times, and that plans can change.
- From confirmation up to 30 days prior to departure - 10% of the total amount payable would be charged
- Between 15 - 29 days – 50% would be refunded
- Less than 15 days prior to departure 100%.
In case of unforeseen weather conditions or government restrictions, certain activities may be cancelled and in such cases we will try our best to provide an alternate feasible activity. However no refund will be provided for the same. For last minute emergencies we offer future trip credits on a case by case basis.
- All programs are subject to change due to political reason, natural calamities, serious sickness, and special reasons.
- Please note that cancellation charges also apply to reductions in group size, not only for cancellations of entire bookings.
- Mountaineerz might be forced to change/modify the itinerary and also reserves the right to do so, due to unforeseen disruptions by natural forces. If any costs increase due to this change, the client would be requested to pay the additional amount in Manali.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Our thoroughly researched itineraries are designed to offer you access to some of the world\'s best-kept secrets. We have personally explored the destinations we offer with in-depth knowledge that goes towards making your experience more than worth your while. However, at times due factors beyond any one’s control, situations may arise which can pose a challenge to the safety and security of the group members. To minimize any negative impact, we subscribe strictly to “Safety Protocol” which is an intensive and comprehensive compilation of safety and security measures undertaken to ensure a seamless and safe experience for its guests. There are factors which are controllable and attention to them ensures lower risks and toned down consequences.
3 travellers found this helpful
Some of our own trek leaders are qualified, experienced ladies. All treks are extremely safe for ladies and we have a lot of solo clients who are ladies.
3 travellers found this helpful
You need to carry an original ID card and a photograph.
3 travellers found this helpful
There are no doctors on the trek; however our trek leaders are experienced in first aid and basic medical protocols.
2 travellers found this helpful
There are 3 main pre-requisite to taking expeditions in the mighty Himalayas: 1. You should have done at least 2 high-altitude treks in the Himalayas 2. You should be able to complete at 5 to 7 km run in about 30 mins 3. You should be able to walk with a 10-12 kg weight on your back for up to 6 hours Strength, stamina and strong mindset are key elements of an expedition
Our trip will start from the base camp in Haripur, 14 km short of Manali. If you are travelling by Volvo bus, you are requested to de-board at the Patlikuhal bus stand and we will receive you from there and drive you to the base camp
The water during the trip is fresh and it is recommended to carry your personal reusable water bottles and filters as well.