Family Adventure Trekking and Camping at Chandertaal
3 Nights/4 Days
Chandertaal Lake is a spectacular sweet water lake, located in the midst of dry arid landscape of Spiti. The lake is bean shaped and has a circumference of about 2.8 kms. The lake is situated at an altitude of about 4200 Mtrs. The water is crystal clear, and it boasts of different shades of blue as the day progresses.
One can trek from Kunzum Pass situated at an altitude of 4550 Mtrs. From here it is largely a downhill walk. Magnificent views of high Himalayan peaks of the CB range are in the vicinity all around. Chandertaal Lake is the source of Chandra River, which later confluences with Bhaga to form Chandra Bhaga and is later called the Chenab. The lake is visited as a day hike, and the entire day is spent at the lake enjoying its beautiful surroundings with a picnic lunch. This trip can be customised to cover places around Chandertaal.
- Kunzum Pass At an altitude of 4551 m is the main access to Spiti Valley from Lahaul Valley.
- Bara Shigri Glacier The largest glacier in Himachal Pradesh is located in the Chandra valley of Lahaul and it feeds the river Chenab. This glacier, 25 km long and about 3 km wide, lies on the middle slopes of the main Himalayan range.
- Sissu At an altitude of 3170 m, this place is famous because of a magnificent waterfall.
- Darcha At an altitude of 3360 m, Darcha is ideal place for trekkers. You can start off trekking from here to Padum, Zanskar Valley passing through Shingola as well as Baralacha/Phirtsela. It is around 24 km from Keylong and offers facilities for camping.
- Bara Lacha La This pass which is cross roads on the summit is 75 km from Keylong. It is on Manali –Leh road. It is also the watershed for the Chandra Bhaga and Yunam Rivers.
You can trek from Chandertaal to Suraj Tal and Baralacha La, however that is a 2-3days trek
A short tour to one of the most beautiful and famous natural sweet water lakes in western Himalayas. Chandrataal is known for scenic location and an ideal camping site. Availability of migrating birds from other parts of the globe, coupled with mesmerizing panoramic view of the surrounding valley makes it a really romantic site. The road to the lake is now developed and vehicles can be now used to reach the lake.
Day 1: Drive: Manali-Rohtang – Chatru.
Early morning after breakfast drive to Manali and further proceed to Rohtang pass (3960 Mtrs) crossing into a geography which would transform from the lush green to dry and arid. This is the beginning of Lahaul and Spiti. We would drive along the Chandra River towards its source. The road from Rohtang onwards is unmetalled. We would camp besides the road at a nice grassy patch at Dadarpul few kilometers ahead of Chatru. Excellent views of glaciers and towering mountains and a stream flows through the camp site.
Day 2: Dadarpul – Chandertaal Camp Site
Wind up camp and drive towards Chandertaal Lake would take about 3-4 hours. Base Camp is set few kms before Chandertaal Lake.
Day 3: Early morning hike to Chandertaal Lake.
Spend the entire day at the lake with a picnic lunch. Late afternoon hike back to the base camp for the night.
Day 4: Chandertaal – Manali
Departure after breakfast for the drive back to Manali where our journey comes to an end. We part ways here to meet soon for our next adventure.
Guests who would like to extend their vacation and chill or enjoy other adventure activities with us are welcome to do so at minimum additional cost.
- Pick up and drop from Patlikuhl bus stand, Manali
- Stay in 2-3 men tents during trek.
- All meals during the trek (nutritious freshly cooked vegetarian)
- Services of experienced MOI/ BMC qualified lead guide and qualified assistant guide
- Kitchen equipment, cook and helper
- All the Camping arrangements
- Porterage – pony/porter for your personal belongings (in the luxury package)
- Wildlife/ environmental permits and other permits & levies.
- All transportation as per itinerary in local cars and jeeps
- ‘Leave No Traces’ protocol charges.
- Guaranteed amazing Himalayan experiential adventure holiday.
- Cost of travel to and from Manali from your city
- Cost of any form of insurance (Personal/Baggage/Medical)
- Cost of rescue, evacuation, hospitalization, etc.
- Any expenses of purely personal nature like laundry, phone/Fax calls, tips to drivers, guides, any beverages.
- Any expenses that arise due to change in itinerary and increase in no. of days because of natural forces like landslides, weather, roadblocks, flight cancellations, sickness etc.
- Nominal cost for bonfire, barbeque and all meals at the base in Haripur (choice of veg/ non-veg).
- Cost of any optional activity we offer, like paragliding, angling, rafting etc.
Advisory about activity –
- If coming straight to our base in Haripur get down at Patlikuhl bus stand, 14 km short of New Manali bus stand.
- Wear shoes and clothes you are comfortable in and do not forget waterproof jackets and warm clothing.
- Soak up the atmosphere – close your eyes and take in the sights and sounds as you explore and observe.
- Do not litter the environment. Polythene and plastics are non-biodegradable and unhealthy for the environment and must not be littered or burned and should be carried back.
Adventure Gear List:
Woollen cap and woollen gloves, thermal under-garments, warm sweater, woollen trousers / thick track pants for trekking, woollen socks, rain gear (jacket, trousers/ parkha), warm jacket, torch, full sleeves t – shirts, sun block lotion, chap-stick (lip salve), good hiking (preferably waterproof) shoes with ankle support, gaiters, camera, films, battery backup etc. one duffel bag for personal items (sky bags etc. will not be accepted to be carried by horse– not more than 10 kg strictly), one knapsack for item of daily use (to be carried by you), personal medicines.
With our every escapade we bring you closer to the best of adventure travel. We bring you an experience that encompasses the quiet and the wild, the divine, the exotic and the spiritual side of “The Valley of The Gods.”
- We understand life can be unpredictable at times, and that plans can change.
- From confirmation up to 30 days prior to departure - 10% of the total amount payable would be charged
- Between 15 - 29 days – 50% would be refunded
- Less than 15 days prior to departure 100%.
In case of unforeseen weather conditions or government restrictions, certain activities may be cancelled and in such cases we will try our best to provide an alternate feasible activity. However no refund will be provided for the same. For last minute emergencies we offer future trip credits on a case by case basis.
- All programs are subject to change due to political reason, natural calamities, serious sickness, and special reasons.
- Please note that cancellation charges also apply to reductions in group size, not only for cancellations of entire bookings.
- We might be forced to change/modify the itinerary and also reserves the right to do so, due to unforeseen disruptions by natural forces. If any costs increase due to this change, the client would be requested to pay the additional amount in Manali.
Select from the list of add-ons to customize this activity
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Our thoroughly researched itineraries are designed to offer you access to some of the world\'s best-kept secrets. We have personally explored the destinations we offer with in-depth knowledge that goes towards making your experience more than worth your while. However, at times due factors beyond any one’s control, situations may arise which can pose a challenge to the safety and security of the group members. To minimize any negative impact, we subscribe strictly to “Safety Protocol” which is an intensive and comprehensive compilation of safety and security measures undertaken to ensure a seamless and safe experience for its guests. There are factors which are controllable and attention to them ensures lower risks and toned down consequences.
3 travellers found this helpful
Some of our own trek leaders are qualified, experienced ladies. All treks are extremely safe for ladies and we have a lot of solo clients who are ladies.
3 travellers found this helpful
You need to carry an original ID card and a photograph.
3 travellers found this helpful
There are no doctors on the trek; however our trek leaders are experienced in first aid and basic medical protocols.
2 travellers found this helpful
Our trip will start from the base camp in Haripur, 14 km short of Manali. If you are travelling by Volvo bus, you are requested to de-board at the Patlikuhal bus stand and we will receive you from there and drive you to the base camp
The water during the trip is fresh and it is recommended to carry your personal reusable water bottles and filters as well.