Spiti Road Trip & Camping: Chandrataal to Kaza
2 Nights/3 Days
2 to 5 people
An off road ride to Spiti offers a rush of a lifetime and a view of the Promised Land. Chandrataal is known as the Moon Lake (from its crescent shape) and shimmers at an altitude of 4,300 m (14,000 ft) in the Spiti region of the Lahoul and Spiti district in the state of Himachal Pradesh. Chandrataal feeds the fierce river Chandra and is almost 2.5 Km in circumference. It is in turn fed by glacier Samudri Taapu.
We will start the drive in comfortable SUVs from dA Base in Manali and pass through the lush green forests of Marhi and Gulaba and on to Rohtang Pass (a 3 to 4 hour ride depending on your riding skills and the killer traffic). The non-existent road leads to Chhatru and then on to Batal. Chandertal is just 38 km from here and we will camp just before the lake at an exotic location in luxury tents. The terrain is treacherous and needs to be navigated with great skill and caution. But the sights and sounds that one gets to witness are beyond belief.
Route: Manali - Chhatru - Batal - Chandrataal - Kunzum La - Ki - Kibber - Kaza
Day 1: Arrive in Manali – Report at Basecamp | 140 km - 8 hr
Get dropped at Patlikulh bus stop, 16 kms before main Manali bus stop. Get picked-up by the team member and report at the base camp in Haripur and meet the team members over refreshments. After bike (RE 350 cc) allotment, we will depart at 7:00 am sharp for our off roading trip through the beautiful lush green forest of Marhi and Gulaba and on to Rohtang Pass. We'll take a refreshment break at Gulaba. We'll have an early lunch at Chhatru (estimated time: 4 hour from the start). Next stop Batal, where we'll stop for tea break. Chandertal is just 38 km from here and we will camp just before the lake at an exotic location in comfortable premium camping tents.
Day 2: Chandrataal – Kunzum La – Losar – Ki – Kibber – Kaza
After an early breakfast, we will leave from Chandrataal and head on to Kunzum La, which is also the highest point of the trip. Enjoy this magical drive over Kunzum Pass to enter the middle land called Spiti Valley. You will enjoy the drive to Kaza greatly. Visit Ki – Kibber villages. Enjoy the most scenic drive of entire Spiti Valley between Losar and Kaza at an easy pace. We will camp wherever we please keeping in mind, the long hard ride back to Manali
Day 3: Kaza – Kunzum La – Batal – Chhatru – Rohtang Pass – Manali Basecamp
After an early breakfast, we will leave from our camping site. From here, we will ride/drive back to Chhatru for lunch and then continue to basecamp in Manali while passing Rohtang Pass. Upon reaching basecamp your trip ends and guests who are taking bus back to Delhi/Chandigarh can get dropped to bus station.
- Tour guide & driver
- Pick-up & drop from Patlikulh bus stop
- High clearance SUV or Gypsy
- Stay in 2-4 men luxury hiking tents.
- Sanitized sleeping bags
- All meals during camping (nutritious freshly cooked vegetarian)
- Services of experienced lead guide and qualified assistant guide
- Kitchen equipment, cook and helper
- All the camping arrangements
- Wildlife/ environmental permits and other permits & levies
- Cost of any form of insurance (Personal/Baggage/Medical)
- Cost of rescue, evacuation, hospitalization, etc.
- Any expenses of purely personal nature like laundry, phone/fax calls, tips to drivers, guides, any beverages.
- Any expenses that arise due to change in itinerary and increase in no. of days because of natural forces like landslides, weather, roadblocks, flight cancellations, sickness etc.
- All meals during travel
- Meals at "Dhabas" or during road travel
- Cost of any optional activity we offer, like paragliding, angling, rafting etc.
- Any increase in govt. service tax.
- All programs are subject to change due to political reason, natural calamities, serious sickness, and special reasons.
- Please note that cancellation charges also apply to reductions in group size, not only for cancellations of entire bookings.
- The tour will not be cancelled unless we are forced to do so because of unusual or unforeseen circumstances, such as a major natural disaster, major political unrest or war. If we cancel the tour we will promptly refund all payments made to us including the deposit (less the unrecoverable costs such as air tickets cancellations). We shall not be liable to refund any additional expenses that you may have incurred (such as insurance, visas, vaccinations and other incidental costs).
- If you do not show up at the meeting point specified on the agreed date, we will assume you have been delayed and will wait for you to contact us with your new expected arrival date. If you do not contact us within 48 hours we will assume you have cancelled the tour. There is no refund of any money paid.
- From confirmation up to 30 days prior to departure - 10% of the total amount payable would be charged.
- Between 15 - 29 days – 50% would be refunded.
- Less than 15 days prior to departure: no refund.
In case of unforeseen weather conditions or government restrictions, certain activities may be cancelled and in such cases we will try our best to provide an alternate feasible activity. However no refund will be provided for the same.
Reporting/Start Point:Patlikulh Bus Stop/Basecamp in Haripur, Manali