Kayaking in Paravur Backwaters - Kollam
Paravur Backwaters is one of the lesser known, tightly kept secret locations in southern Kerala. The Paravur Backwaters is safe and a sheltered waterbody, without much influence of the tidal effects. You can be assured of the safety as the depth of the lake in general is not more than 10 feet and not wider than 1 km. This ensures you don't paddle out and lose orientation in unknown waters. There is no motorboats in the waterbody to cause wake or noise pollution. Paravur Backwaters is part of the West Coast Canal System and connects it to the NW3 National Waterway between Kollam and Thiruvananthapuram.
You will find it truly unique place to paddle as it is also the meeting point of sea water from Arabian Sea and freshwater from Ithikkara River. The paddling center is located on a tiny sandbar that sits between Arabian Sea and Paravur Backwaters with direct access to both waterbodies.
- Parking space
- Locker facilities
- Seperate shower and WC for females and males
- Shack to sitback and view backwaters after trip to relax
- Beach to enjoy the sun, sand, and sea
- Catch sight of sustainable fishing methods performed by indigenous fishermen using Kattumarams (a unique fishing craft that exists only on the coast from Kanyakumari to Kollam).
- Paddle to the sandbar and spoil yourself with photographs. The sandbar may be submerged if the water level is high due to the surge in river flow and high tide.
- Get a glimpse of the spillway bridge from the sandbar that controls the inflow of seawater and outflow of river.
- Meet the Indian Railway bridge that passes across the Paravur Backwaters above your head level. You can safely paddle through between the spans of the Railway bridge. You may be lucky to spot a train.
- Discover a small temple located on a tiny island. If you are a believer, take it as a chance to pray in a small island in total privacy without the occupancy of crowd.
- Discover the untouched mangrove forest belt and birds.
- Paddle through narrow canals and amidst riparian vegetation and coconut lagoons.
- Sit on top kayaks (single and double available)
- Lifejacket (PFD with with various sizes available to fit toddler, children, juniors, and seniors)
- Land-based and on-water basic instructions on paddling
- Water, shower, WC, locker facilities, parking, etc.
- Waterproof pouch for mobile.
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point
₹ 960 Per Person