Sandakphu is popularly known as Singalila Range trek, has always been known as the trekkers' paradise and located at north west of Darjeeling town at an altitude of about 12,000ft. This is the highest point (or peak) of the Singalila mountain range. Many tourists who find the 3 days trek too strenuous to bear, take a 4-wheel drive vehicle like a jeep or a Land Rover from Maneybhanjyang and go all the way up to Sandakphu along the steep gravel road. The motor road is full of loose stones and boulders, and takes about 5 hours to reach.
The distance from Maneybhanjyang to Sandakphu is about 32 kilometers. From Darjeeling, the distance to Sandakphu is 58kms (26km up to Maneybhanjyang). But once you reach Sandakphu after a tedious trek, you will be rewarded with the real bounty of the nature. If you love snow peaks, then you will feel privileged that you made it up to this point and joined the group of few who have witnessed an end-to-end panoramic views of the Himalayan peaks. And these include four of the five highest peaks of the world. I shall come to the view shortly
The name Sandakphu means "Height of the poison plants". This is because of the poisonous aconite plants growing in abundance here and Sandakphu being the highest point of Darjeeling hills where such plants grow. Don't worry, they won't reach any harm to you unless you try to eat the attractive purple blue colored flowers or the leaves of these handsome looking plants that are usually 1-meter in height. Sandakphu is also home to lovely flowering plants like primula and rhododendrons that bloom in plenty in spring.
- Wildlife Sanctuary
- Rhododendron Trees
- Unique landscape
- Birds & Yaks
- Beautiful Sunrise
- View of High altitude PeaksKanchenjunga ,Everest, Makalu etc.
- Highest Point of West Bengal State
- Local Gorkha Village
Day 01) Darjeeling- Maneybhanjyang - Tumling/Tonglu: (2790mt / 9153ft) 12 kms - 5/6hrs
After Breakfast. Morning drive till Maneybhanjyang, Maneybhanjyang is the starting point of the trek. The day walk is uphill and the trail passes through small village of Chitre and forests of Rhododendrons and Magnolias. The trekkers hut at Tumling (2790m) is located on a hill top overlooking the Himalayan ranges. Overnight at Tumling.
Day 02) Tumling/Tonglu - Kalapokhri: (3186mt / 10452ft) 14kms - 5/6hrs
After Breakfast we undertake a pleasant walk through the forest which is home to the rare Red Panda and the Tragopan. The entire trek route is the home of rare avi-fauna and wild flowers of vibrant colours. The day long trek which will cover14 kms to Kalapokhri (3010m). Reach Kalapokhri (famous for the pond of black water which never freezes and is revered by the local people) trekkers hut where we spend the night.
Day 03) Kalapokhri - Sandakphu: (3636mt / 11929ft) 5kms - 4/5hrs
After breakfast, start the trek to Sandakphu (3636m) which takes about 05hrs. Sandakphu is the place to view the mountains. On a clear day one can see the peaks of Lhotse (8501m), Everest (8848m) and Makalu (8475m) of the Nepal Himalayas and the huge Kanchenjunga massif (8586m) along with other peaks of the Kanchenjunga Range. Overnight at Sandakphu.
Day 04) Sandakphu - Gurdum: (2800mt / 9186ft) 11kms -5/6hrs
Continues Sandakphu Trek, This day very early morning after a grand sunrise show and the breathtaking view of the greater Himalayas , we will come downhill to Gurdum(2800m) through a forest after breakfast. Overnight at Gurdum.
Day 05) Gurdum - Rimbik- Darjeeling
After breakfast start trek to Rimbik(2286m) . The trail passes through the villages of Srikhola and the forest provides ample opportunities for birding. Reach Rimbik, rest for while then Drive back to Darjeeling.
- Exclusive Transportation
- Accommodation in Sharing basis in Tent/Trekkers Hut
- Meals includes Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner
- Trek Guide
- Entry fees to National Park
- Trek Co-ordinator
Why book with TRODLY
- Best Price Guarantee
- Verified customer reviews that help you make the right decision.
- Qualified operators. All partner operators selected after rigorous system of checks.
- Free Cancellation on Most Trips
- Only Best Trips - Our team of travel experts bring uniquely local, safe, and exciting experiences to the community.
- 100% Secured Payments
1. Cancellation up to 60 days in advance: full refund of your deposit less 10% of total tour cost as handling fees.
2. In addition, please note that domestic plane tickets are non-refundable and train tickets have a cancellation penalty that will not be credited back to you.
3. Cancellation between 60 days and 30 days in advance: full refund of your deposit less 20% of tour cost as handling fees.
In addition, please note that domestic plane tickets are non-refundable and train tickets have a cancellation penalty that will not be credited back to you.
4. Cancellation between 30 days and arrival day: no refund of your deposit.
5. Cancellation of part of your itinerary after arrival: each situation will be analyzed in a fair way on a per case basis.
6. In case of cancellation/delay of any flight, air companies have their own policy to help their respected clients. Due to any cancellation/delay of flight if there is any extra cost has to goes to your account.
7. In case of cancellation/delay of any train, each situation will be analyzed in a fair way on a per case basis and you will be responsible for any non-refundable portions of the ticket.
8. We advise our clients to subscribe to travel insurance at home at the same time they purchase their international flight tickets.
9. We cannot be held responsible for problems due to events that are not under our control (weather, political demonstrations, airline & train delays, traffic jams, floods etc.)
10. Should you decide to travel with us to India at a later date, the amount of deposit covering the handling fees will be credited to you when we calculate the cost of your new itinerary, (Credit does not include non-refundable domestic plane tickets, penalties charged by Rail Company, deposits not returned to us by some hotels and car agencies).
Get trip inspirations, offers and more.