Sandakphu is popularly known as Singalila Range trek, has always been known as the trekkers' paradise and located at north west of Darjeeling town at an altitude of about 12,000ft. This is the highest point (or peak) of the Singalila mountain range. Many tourists who find the 3 days trek too strenuous to bear, take a 4-wheel drive vehicle like a jeep or a Land Rover from Maneybhanjyang and go all the way up to Sandakphu along the steep gravel road. The motor road is full of loose stones and boulders, and takes about 5 hours to reach.
The distance from Maneybhanjyang to Sandakphu is about 32 kilometers. From Darjeeling, the distance to Sandakphu is 58kms (26km up to Maneybhanjyang). But once you reach Sandakphu after a tedious trek, you will be rewarded with the real bounty of the nature. If you love snow peaks, then you will feel privileged that you made it up to this point and joined the group of few who have witnessed an end-to-end panoramic views of the Himalayan peaks. And these include four of the five highest peaks of the world. I shall come to the view shortly
The name Sandakphu means "Height of the poison plants". This is because of the poisonous aconite plants growing in abundance here and Sandakphu being the highest point of Darjeeling hills where such plants grow. Don't worry, they won't reach any harm to you unless you try to eat the attractive purple blue colored flowers or the leaves of these handsome looking plants that are usually 1-meter in height. Sandakphu is also home to lovely flowering plants like primula and rhododendrons that bloom in plenty in spring.
- Wildlife Sanctuary
- Rhododendron Trees
- Unique landscape
- Birds & Yaks
- Beautiful Sunrise
- View of High altitude PeaksKanchenjunga ,Everest, Makalu etc.
- Highest Point of West Bengal State
- Local Gorkha Village
Day 01) Darjeeling- Maneybhanjyang - Tumling/Tonglu: (2790mt / 9153ft) 12 kms - 5/6hrs
After Breakfast. Morning drive till Maneybhanjyang, Maneybhanjyang is the starting point of the trek. The day walk is uphill and the trail passes through small village of Chitre and forests of Rhododendrons and Magnolias. The trekkers hut at Tumling (2790m) is located on a hill top overlooking the Himalayan ranges. Overnight at Tumling.
Day 02) Tumling/Tonglu - Kalapokhri: (3186mt / 10452ft) 14kms - 5/6hrs
After Breakfast we undertake a pleasant walk through the forest which is home to the rare Red Panda and the Tragopan. The entire trek route is the home of rare avi-fauna and wild flowers of vibrant colours. The day long trek which will cover14 kms to Kalapokhri (3010m). Reach Kalapokhri (famous for the pond of black water which never freezes and is revered by the local people) trekkers hut where we spend the night.
Day 03) Kalapokhri - Sandakphu: (3636mt / 11929ft) 5kms - 4/5hrs
After breakfast, start the trek to Sandakphu (3636m) which takes about 05hrs. Sandakphu is the place to view the mountains. On a clear day one can see the peaks of Lhotse (8501m), Everest (8848m) and Makalu (8475m) of the Nepal Himalayas and the huge Kanchenjunga massif (8586m) along with other peaks of the Kanchenjunga Range. Overnight at Sandakphu.
Day 04) Sandakphu - Gurdum: (2800mt / 9186ft) 11kms -5/6hrs
Continues Sandakphu Trek, This day very early morning after a grand sunrise show and the breathtaking view of the greater Himalayas , we will come downhill to Gurdum(2800m) through a forest after breakfast. Overnight at Gurdum.
Day 05) Gurdum - Rimbik- Darjeeling
After breakfast start trek to Rimbik(2286m) . The trail passes through the villages of Srikhola and the forest provides ample opportunities for birding. Reach Rimbik, rest for while then Drive back to Darjeeling.
- Exclusive Transportation
- Accommodation in Sharing basis in Tent/Trekkers Hut
- Meals includes Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner
- Trek Guide
- Entry fees to National Park
- Trek Co-ordinator
- Expenses of Personal Nature, viz Laundry, Telephone, Alcohol & Non-Alcohol drinks etc Entry fee of place
- Personal Insurance
- Portage or Gratuity
- Additional Expenses on extra / supplementary requirement
- Covers immediate medical facilities
- Extra expenses due to unforeseen circumstances viz Landslide/strike/accidents/natural calamities, Ropeway and tips etc
- Anything not specified in the cost inclusions
- The trek fee includes all costs of the trek from the start at Maneybhanjyang to the end of the trek at Rimbik.
- Pick up: Trekkers are picked up from NJP railway station or Bagdogra airport. Usually, trekkers are clubbed together with other participants to make a group. The group travels together to Maneybhanjyang in shared cabs.
- Transport: Transport from NJP/Bagdogra airport to Maneybhanjyang and return from Rimbik to NJP/Bagdogra airport can be arranged by us at an extra cost. Participants are expected to share the cost of the cab. The amount is to be paid directly to our transporter. No service tax is applicable on transport cost. Eastern Sojourn Adventure Holidays only arranges the vehicle pick up and is not responsible for any issues during transport.
- Backpack offloading: Eastern Sojourn Adventure Holidays expects its trekkers to carry their own backpacks. All common gear will be carried by the support team. If for some reason a trekker is unable to carry his or her backpack, he/she can offload the same by paying an additional charge.
- Backpack offloading charge for the entire trek duration is Rs. 1200/-. Partial offloading is not allowed. Charges will vary for last minute on slope offloading. The backpack cannot weigh more than 9 kgs. No suitcases/strolleys/duffel bags will be allowed.
- Drop out during trek: If for any reason a participant has to drop out from the trek on any day then Eastern Sojourn Adventure Holidays will make arrangements for his/her return to the nearest road head. A staff will accompany the participant to the nearest road head.
- Fitness: A high altitude trek in the Himalayas requires considerable fitness. Your body needs to train itself to process more work with lower levels of oxygen. Therefore, on treks, cardiovascular training is critically important. You need to be able to jog a distance of 4.5 km in 30 mins before start of the trek. Unable to do so can make your trek difficult. In addition, preparation of trek needs to include strength and flexibility training. Registering for the trek is an understanding that you will undertake the mandated fitness training. Trekkers who have not adequately prepared may be asked to discontinue the trek at any point.
- Non-liability: Eastern Sojourn Adventure Holidays is not responsible for any loss/damage of your gears/equipment or other belongings on the trek.
- 100% refund if cancelled before 48 hour
- 50% refund if cancelled before 24 hour
- No refund after that