Chandor Village Guided Tour A Forgotten Capital
In this tour visit Chandor, a village in South Goa which served as capital from the time of Bhojas to Kadambas.
- Witness the ruins, excavations, fortifications of Bhoja and Kadamba period with an archaeologist.
- Visit the old mansions which are built in Portuguese style.
- Appreciate the artefacts and ruins of the region.
Chandor tour is a guided tour led by an archaeologist to the forgotten capital of Goa which used to be the most prominent centre for trade on the Konkan coast between the 6th and 11th centuries. We will visit the ruins of this excavated town, an ancient temple dedicated to Lord Shiva, a chapel from which begins the ‘Musal Khell’ a traditional folk dance, Sarah Fernades Heritage Home which was the home of an elite family of Chandor and Braganza Mansion the biggest Portuguese style house in Goa and famous for its aristocratic grandeur.
- The driver will receive you from your hotel or residence in Goa at 8:00 AM.
- The guide cum host for the tour will meet you here and after a quick introduction, the tour will start.
- Drive to Chandor site with the guide. Chandor was known as Chandrapur and used to be a thriving port for commerce and trade.
- Witness the ruins, excavations and fortifications and also visit an 11th-century old temple dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- A broken Nandi is prominently on display and this was destroyed by Muslim invaders.
- A chapel stands next to this temple, from which begins the Musal Khell a traditional folk dance since Kadamba times and now it is performed next day of the carnival.
- You will explore their mansion featuring architectural elements of Goan Hindu and Catholic architecture. Some of the highlights include the palanquins, ballroom furniture, cupboards, showpiece collection and also a secret tunnel!
- Visit the Menezes Braganza Pereira Mansion, a royal Portuguese style house with its elegant furniture and chandeliers in the Italian marbled ballroom.
- The west wing of the mansion belonged to the Menezes Braganza family, a reputed nationalistic journalist, and author who contributed immensely to the Goa’s Liberation Struggle.
- Spend time appreciating various artefacts and family portraits which are on display in this wing.
- You will finish your tour after visiting the private library and study room of Braganza, the revolutionary.
- You will be dropped back to the hotel/residence in Goa.
- All transportation in private air-conditioned vehicle.
- Driver and fuel charges.
- Any toll and parking charges.
- Service of a knowledgeable archaeologist.
- Lunch at a local restaurant.
- Monument entrance fees (as per the itinerary).
Why book with TRODLY
- Best Price Guarantee
- Verified customer reviews that help you make the right decision.
- Qualified operators. All partner operators selected after rigorous system of checks.
- Free Cancellation on Most Trips
- Only Best Trips - Our team of travel experts bring uniquely local, safe, and exciting experiences to the community.
- 100% Secured Payments
- Full refund if cancelled before* 48 hour
- 50% refund if cancelled before 24 hour
- No refund after that
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point
₹ 5000 Per Person
Get trip inspirations, offers and more.