Source of Ganges Trek from Haridwar
This 8-day trek to the source of holy river Ganges is considered as the most scenic treks in Uttrakhand and in India. This moderately challenging trek offers views of the Gaumukh and other mighty peaks of Garhwal Himalayas.
- Trek to great heights of 4500 metres during this tour.
- Start your trek from the 18th-century temple of Gangotri.
- Witness the Bhagirathi massif and the beautiful Shivling peaks.
- All inclusive prices: All the costs of permits, accommodation arrangements and meals are included in the pricing.
- Company of an experienced trek guide.
One of the most scenic treks in India, in an area which has attracted people for centuries. The trek starts from the 18th-century temple of Gangotri and goes beyond the source of Ganga to the meadow of Tapovan, favourite spot for sadhus meditating in the Himalayas. Gaumukh, the snout of the glacier, Tapovan and the mighty peaks of the Garhwal Himalayas definitely make it a special trek. From passing orchards of coniferous pine trees at Chirbasa and birch at Bhojbasa, and the retreating glacier at Gaumukh, the source of the Bhagirathi; a plethora of sights and experiences in the shadow of Himalayan giants - the Bhagirathi massif and the beautiful Shivling peaks.
Day 1: Arrive in Haridwar and drive to Uttarkashi (1550 metres) | Drive of 7 hours
- You will have to arrive in Haridwar by 6:00 or 6:30 AM. Meet the host and board the vehicles to be driven straight to Uttarakashi which is 192 KM away and it might take approximately 7 hours to reach.
- You will have your lunch en route. Stay in Uttarkashi for the night in a pre-arranged hotel.
Day 2: Drive from Uttarkashi to Gangotri and trek to Chirbasa (3600 metres) | Drive of 4 hours, Trek 4 hours
- On the second day, start the day after your breakfast. You will be driven for 4 hours to reach the holy shrine of Gangotri (3000 metres).
- Visit the temple of Gangotri and then start the 4-hour walk up towards Gaumukh, the source of the river Ganges.
- The trail keeps following the river and just short of Chirbasa, one gets the first views of the Bhagirathi Peaks.
- Chirbasa (3600m), literally meaning the home of pine is now a cluster of shops and some pine trees. Walk down from the main trail and set up camp close to the river.
- Dinner and overnight camping at Chirbasa.
Day 3: Trek from Chirbasa to Bhojbasa (3800 metres) | Trek 3 hours
- On day 3, after breakfast start your trek to Bhijbasa.
- Have a relaxed day with only about 3 hours of trekking, reach the campsite of Bhojbasa, home of birch (now only a few left in the much-denuded area) and set up the camp.
- Evening walk to one of the high points perched nearby is recommended for better acclimatisation.
- Hot dinner is served to you after the walk and camp under the stars to end the day.
Day 4: Trek from Bhojbasa to Gaumukh Tapovan (4500 metres) | Trek for 2 hours
- On day 4, walk about 2 hours to reach Gaumukh (4000 metres), the source of the Ganges.
- Spend time admiring the beauty and the power of nature. It’s a visual treat and an experience in itself to watch the Ganga gush out of the snout of the Gangotri glacier.
- Cross the glacier and start the steep ascent to reach the beautiful meadow of Tapovan.
- You will be staying overnight in Tapovan in tents.
Day 5: Rest day at Tapovan (4500 metres)
- The fifth day will be a rest day at Tapovan - a lush green meadow dotted with wildflowers right at the foot of the giant Shivling.
- Spend your day doing walks around the campsite, or visiting the sadhus, reading a book or just admiring the mighty peaks of Bhagirathi, Shivling, Meru and others.
Day 6: Trek from Tapovan to Chirbasa (3600 metres) | Trek for 6-7 hours
- On the sixth day, start the trek back to reach Chirbasa in about 6/7 hours.
- The trails go through lush green meadows, pine trees and thick forests.
- After trekking for 6-7 hours, reach Chirbasa and you will set up camp in Chirbasa and stay there for the night.
Day 7: Trek from Chirbasa to Gangotri and drive to Uttarkashi | Trek 4 hours | Drive 4 hours
- After a nice warm breakfast, carry on the trail to reach Gangotri, this trek will be of 4 hours.
- Post your arrival in Gangotri, you board the waiting vehicle to drive back to the Uttarkashi for the comforts of a hot shower.
- You will be staying overnight in Uttarkashi.
Day 8: Drive from Uttarkashi to Haridwar | Drive 5 hours
- Have an easy start, let the aching muscles rest.
- You will have an early lunch/brunch and be driven back for 5 hours to Dehradun/Haridwar, your trip ends there.
- All transportation from Dehradun and back to Dehradun (by Non-air-conditioned vehicle).
- Accommodation in tents on twin sharing basis.
- 2 Nights stay in a hotel in Uttarkashi.
- All vegetarian meals starting from Breakfast on Day 1 to Lunch on Day 8.
- Sanctuary fee / permits wherever applicable.
- Service of a knowledgeable guide.
- All trekking arrangements - an experienced team of guides, camp staff, cook, etc.
- Porters for personal baggage up to 12 KG.
Why book with TRODLY
- Best Price Guarantee
- Verified customer reviews that help you make the right decision.
- Qualified operators. All partner operators selected after rigorous system of checks.
- Free Cancellation on Most Trips
- Only Best Trips - Our team of travel experts bring uniquely local, safe, and exciting experiences to the community.
- 100% Secured Payments
- Full refund if cancelled before* 7 days
- 50% refund if cancelled before 3 days
- No refund after that
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point
₹ 23000 Per Person
Get trip inspirations, offers and more.