Kafni Glacier Trek
Venturing out in the outer reaches of the Nanda Devi National park in the Kumaon region of the Himalayas. this trek probably offers you one of the easiest opportunity of viewing the beautiful and mighty peaks guarding the Nanda Devi.
Here the beautiful peaks of Changuch, Maiktoli, Mrigthuni, Nanda Khat, Nanda Kot, Panwali Dwar, Sunanda Devi ( Nanda Devi East), Tharkot, Nanda Bhanar, Nanda Khani, Bauljuri, Lapsa Dhura present themselves in full glory. The village and local dwellers of Khati is a good opportunity the experience and understand the rural settings of Kumaon. Right from its start, this trek takes you through a dense forest of the outer Nanda Devi National Park consisting of fir, birch and rhododendrons. From Khati, the trail separates from the Sunderdhunga and follows the Pindar river until Dwali, where it further forks - one on your left goes to the Pindari Glacier and the other on your right goes to the Kafni Glacier following the Kafni river.
This trek curretly start at Kharkiya from where its just about 5 kilometers of gradual trek to Khati because of the newly built jeep able road. It helps you skip the 'good climb' to Dhakuri crossing the Dhakuri pass right in the first day. However, Dhakuri is a picturesque and a special campsite with a wide panorama on a beautiful meadow, so skipping it might not be a good idea unless you are on a time crunch.
- Days of wonder in the lap of one of the very beautiful valley in the Kumaon
- The beautiful peaks of Changuch, Maiktoli, Mrigthuni, Nanda Khat, Nanda Kot, Panwali Dwar, Sunanda Devi ( Nanda Devi East), Tharkot, Nanda Bhanar, Nanda Khani, Bauljuri, Lapsa Dhura
- Understand the Himalayan geography and river systems by taking yourself closer to its glaciers. Also witness the effect of Global Warming and the receding of a glacier which is highly affecting the ecology not just locally, but throughout our country
- An opportunity to experience some of the most remote villages of Kumaon - namely Khati which also offers a unique way to experience the Himalayas of Kumaon through the locals
- Walking through the dense forest of rhododendrons, birch and fir and the meadows
Day 1: Drive from Kathgodam to Lokharkhet
Day 2: Trek Lokharkhet to Dhakuri
Day 3: Trek Dhakuri to Khati
Day 4: Trek Khati to Dwali
Day 5: Trek Dwali to Khatia
Day 6: Trek Khatia to Kafni Glacier to Dwali
Day 7: Trek Dwali to Kharkiya
Day 8: Drive Kharkiya to Kathgodam
Peaks At Glance: Changuch ( 6322m ), Maiktoli ( 6803m ), Mrigthuni ( 6855m ), Nanda Devi ( 7816m ), Nanda Khat ( 6611m ), Nanda Kot ( 6861m ), Panwali Dwar ( 6663m ), Sunanda Devi ( 7434m ), Tharkot ( 6099m ), Nanda Bhanar ( 6236m ), Nanda Khani ( 6029m ), Bauljuri ( 5922m ), Lapsa Dhura ( 6000m )
Passes At Glance: Dhakuri Pass ( 2940m )
Glaciers At Glance: Kafni Glacier
Rivers At Glance: Pindar River, Sunderdhunga River, Saryu River, Kafni Gad
Villages At Glance: Khati, Lokharkhet, Kharkiya
National Parks: Nanda Devi Outer Sanctuary
- Accommodation in spacious tents on trek, 2man/ 3man tents
- Sub Zero Sleeping bags
- Warm Fleece Sleeping Bag Inners For Extra Hygiene and Warmth
- All required camping gears
- Separate toilet tents for men and women
- Separate Dining and Kitchen Tents
- Full board meals as mentioned in the itinerary
- Well equipped support team
- All other equipment and safety gears
- High Altitude Medical Kit
- Experienced and Well Equipped English/ Hindi Speaking Trek Leader
- Expert and Knowledgeable local guide
- All forest permits and camping fees
Why book with TRODLY
- Best Price Guarantee
- Verified customer reviews that help you make the right decision.
- Qualified operators. All partner operators selected after rigorous system of checks.
- Free Cancellation on Most Trips
- Only Best Trips - Our team of travel experts bring uniquely local, safe, and exciting experiences to the community.
- 100% Secured Payments
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Ideally trekking shoes/boots with ankle support are needed for any trek in the Himalayan region. Quechua shoes available at Decathlon are a value for money option.
Yes all published dates are final and departures are guaranteed. Even if that its just you, we will proceed with the trek.
Toilet tents are set-up at the campsites. These are dry-pit temporary toilets and most hygienic as well as convenient way to answer nature’s call in the wild.
Yes, you will be provided with tents and sleeping bags & mattress. Our sleeping bags are high altitude category and can withstand temperatures as low as -10º C. Couples are given two person tents and groups are give three or four person tents.
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point
Get trip inspirations, offers and more.