Dayara and Gidara Bugyal Trek
Bugyal in the local language means “High Altitude Meadow”.For hundreds of years shepherds from far have been taking their flock to graze at Dayara. They have come back with stories of the abundance of grass and splendor of the mighty Himalayan mountain peaks cradling the meadows. They described the place with such intensity that soon word about Dayara Bugyal reached explorers. When the explorers got back from their treks to Dayara, they came back profoundly affected. The meadows were exactly as the shepherds had described them – but only more beautiful. The mountains they talked about were the Bhagirathi peaks, Bandarpoonch, Black peak and scores of other peaks they could not name. They discovered clear water bodies strewn across the green meadows – in whose reflection the peaks looked even more beautiful. Flowers sprung up around streams and brooks that ran across the meadows.
Dayara Bugyal along with its twin Gidara Bugyal is perhaps one of the most beautiful alpine meadows in India. The meadows stretch out far and wide and all around the meadows are the many towering snow peaks. The trek showcases some of the best scenery the Himalayas have to offer. The Bugyals and the sky around with their ever changing hue can show you a new scenery every season of the year. During winter it provides excellent & one of the best ski slopes in India spread over an area of 28 sq kms.
- Experience walking over the lush green expanse of Dayara and Gidara Bugyal
- Relax and spend some peaceful time by camping on the Barnala Tal lakeside
- A chance of coming across wildlife, while trekking through the oak and pine tree forest trails.
- Catch sight of snow covered peaks like Bandarpooch (6,316 m), Bhagirathi (6921 m) and Black Peak (2,734 m) and other Himalayan peaks.
Day 1:- Dehradun to Barsu 200kms drive
Day 2:- Barsu to Dayara Bugyal (3350 mts) 7hrs trek
Day 3:- Dayara Bugyal to Patanatuna (3500 mts) 6hrs trek
Day 4:- Patanatuna - Gidara(3750 mts) 4 hrs trek & Return to Patanatuna
Day 5:- Patanatuna to Barnala - 5hrs descent
Day 6:- Barnala - Barsu 2hrs trek & drive to Dehradun
- Accommodation. (Guest house, Home stay, Camping)
- Meals while on trek (Veg.) (Egg)
- Trek equipments.
- First aid medical kits and oxygen cylinder.
- Qualified & experienced Professional trek Leader, Guide and Support staff
- Transport from Dehradun and return.
- Any camera fees
- All food & beverages costs apart from the ones mentioned above
- Any personal expenditure (Toiletries, medicines, etc.)
- Cost incidental to any change in the itinerary/ stay on account of flight cancellation due to bad weather, ill health, roadblocks and/or any factors beyond control.
- Anything not specifically mentioned under the head "Cost Includes".
Grade: Easy to Moderate
Max Altitude: 3600mts (Gidara Bugyal)
Best Season: Apr-Jun, Sep-nov
Max group size: 12
Weather: Days are going to be sunny and warm (14-22 °C) while the night temperature at the highest campsite would be in the range of 0-8 °C. In the post monsoon season the days are sunny with temperatures hovering around (12-20 °C) and the evenings start getting cold with the onset of October and nights are comparatively colder (-2 to 8 °C).
1. Shirts / T-shirts
2. Trousers / Track Pants
3. Windproof jacket
4. Fleece / Full-sleeve Woolen sweater
5. Thermal inner wear (upper & lower)
6. Woolen cap
7. Mittens (Woolen gloves)
9. Woolen socks (extra pairs to be carried)
10. Comfortable Trekking/Hiking shoes (shoes with a thick sole are recommended)
11. Raincoat / Poncho
13. Water bottle
14. Cap / Hat
15. Walking stick / Trekking pole
16. Sunscreen Lotion
17. Lip Balm
18. Torch / Flashlight (with extra batteries)
19. Medicines, if requiring any specific medication
22. Personal toiletries
23. Books, if you like reading
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point:
Dehradun, Uttarakhand, India