Bhutan Bike Trip 2019
Bhutan, a Buddhist kingdom on the Himalayas’ eastern edge, is known for its monasteries, fortresses (or Dzong) and dramatic landscapes that range from subtropical plains to steep mountains and valleys.
- Conquer the two passes along the way. Chele La and Dochula
- Visit Taktshang monastery famously known as Tiger’s Nest.
- Phobjikha- mini Switzerland in Bhutan.
- Experience the cultures of Bhutan
Route: Siliguri – Phuentsholing – Thimpu– Punakha– Phobjikha – Paro– Siliguri- Departure
Bhutanese way of life is unique due to its unique culture and religion. Life around a Bhutanese revolves around their religion: Buddhism. You get to see that people co-exist with all other sentient beings in peace and harmony with care and love to its surrounding, animals, plants, and environment.
This tours gives you access to the lifestyle of Bhutanese people and their way of life and daily living. You get to share a night with them and interact with them in the most natural environment. Their warm welcome with traditional tea and offerings will leave you thoughtless. Experience living in the Himalayas and the local hospitality.
- Day 1: Siliguri Arrival to Phuentsholing
- Day 2: Ride from Phuentsholing to Thimpu
- Day 3: Thimpu Local Sightseeing
- Day 4: Ride from Thimpu to Punakha
- Day 5: Ride from Punakha to Phobjikha
- Day 6: Ride from Punakha to Paro
- Day 7: Paro Local Sightseeing
- Day 8: Ride from Paro to Siliguri
- Day 9: Departure
Day 1: Report in Siliguri Junction and start the ride to Phuentsholing | 157km | 4 hours
- All the guests are required to report at the Siliguri Junction by 12 noon.
- The bikes will be allocated to the group and we will start our ride to Phuentsholing, the border city of Bhutan.
- The evening is for self-exploration of the place. After the dinner, there will be a group orientation session followed by the briefing of the ride.
- The session will include the introduction of bikers, tips about the ride by the road, captains and also about the culture of Bhutan along with the road and climatic conditions.
Day 2: Phuentsholing to Thimpu | 147 km | 4 hours
- We start our ride after breakfast. We will embark on the journey - through the misty and winding roads.
- On the way, we’ll make a few stops at local tea houses and Dantak canteen.
- We will reach Thimpu by late afternoon. There are no traffic lights in Bhutan and hence some circuitous routes to your hotel would be evident.
- Reach the hotel at Thimphu and have dinner and rest for the day.
Day 3: Thimpu Local Sightseeing
- In the morning, we visit Memorial Chorten which was built in memory of the third King of Bhutan who reigned from 1952-1972)
- Visit Nunnery temple, mini zoo to see Takin, the national animal of Bhutan.
- Also visit other landmarks like National Institute of Traditional Medicine, Bhutanese traditional painting school, folk heritage museum, the majestic Tashichho Dzong and the traditional paper factory
- However, some of the landmarks are closed in the weekends (Saturdays and Sundays).
- Therefore, if we are in Thimphu during the weekends, we explore the Weekend Market instead.
- We will stay overnight in Thimphu
Day 4: Thimpu to Punakha | 84 km | 2/3 hours
- After breakfast, we will start our ride to Punakha and the way gives the best Bhutan Himalayan views.
- Before reaching Punakha we would take an interesting detour to the Temple of the Mad Lama - Chimi Lakhang - and listen to the story of flying phalluses
- We then ride some nice village roads to reach the Punakha Dzong and hotel - time permitting we would see the Dzong this evening. Or else would postpone to next morning
Day 5: Punakha to Phobjikha | 81 km | 2/3 hours
- Start the ride after the breakfast and ride across the hilly areas to reach Phobjikha.
- Phobjikha is a peaceful and calm place known for the migratory black neck cranes whose loud voices echo the valley along with the breeze.
- The valley is one of the few well preserved glacial valleys. Your eyes are blessed with the scenic beauty of the valley comprising of mountains, trees, animals and shrubs.
- We will ride back to Punakha and overnight at Punakha
Day 6: Punakha to Paro | 126 km | 3/4 hours
- After breakfast, we will ride to Paro via Dochu La pass and we visit the new Druk Wangyal Monastery.
- With elaborate paintings depicting the lineage of the present monarchy and their visionary works, the Druk Wangyal Monastery is the only one of its kind in the country.
- After the tour of the monastery, we continue our drive with a stop in Thimphu for lunch. Overnight in Paro
Day 7: Paro Local Sightseeing
- After breakfast, we hike for 4 -5 hours to Taktsang (Tiger's Nest) Monastery, which is Bhutan's most famous monastery situated at 3,180 meters.
- Guru Rinpoche (spiritual master) is said to have flown on the back of a tigress to meditate in a cave where Taktsang Monastery now stands.
- Lunch will be served in the Cafeteria Restaurant, located about halfway up the mountain.
- After having explored the monastery, we hike down to the valley floor and return back to Paro for an overnight stay.
Day 8: Paro to Siliguri | 298km | 8 hours
- We will begin your return journey today with a ride back to Siliguri.
- You could visit the border or the Chukha Hydrothermal Project. You could also go to the Amo Chuu, the Crocodile Breeding Centre if you love animals and wildlife!
- Check into your hotel on arrival; unwind for the rest of the evening.
- Rev up your bikes all the way back to Siliguri where you will hand them over. Overnight at Siliguri
Day 9: Departure from Siliguri
- After the Breakfast, you are free to explore local by your own and depart for Bagdogra Airport, enriched by this experience of a love affair with Bhutan.
- Transportation from Bagdogra airport to Siliguri on sharing basis.
- Royal Enfield Himalayan 410 cc.
- Fuel for the bikes as per the mentioned itinerary (Siliguri to Siliguri)
- Accommodation in standard hotels on double/triple Sharing (Double sharing only for couples).
- Experienced back-up support.
- Experienced road-captain and group leader.
- Daily breakfast (from day-2 to day 9) and dinner (from day-1 to day-8).
- Mechanical support.
- Luggage van cum support vehicle.
- General Medical Support.
- All Transportations including pick-ups and drops from Siliguri/Bagdogra to Phuentsholing in group vehicle.
- Bhutan immigration formalities.
- Helmets for riders and pillions.
Why book with TRODLY
- Best Price Guarantee
- Verified customer reviews that help you make the right decision.
- Qualified operators. All partner operators selected after rigorous system of checks.
- Free Cancellation on Most Trips
- Only Best Trips - Our team of travel experts bring uniquely local, safe, and exciting experiences to the community.
- 100% Secured Payments
- Full refund if cancelled before* 15 days
- 50% refund if cancelled before 1 days
- No refund after that
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point
Get trip inspirations, offers and more.