Sandakphu and Phalut Trek
Trek to Sandakphu and Phalut
Sandakphu is a wonderland for the trekkers. It's located at an altitude of 11,929ft (i.e. 3,636 meters) in Darjeeling district and on the north west of Darjeeling hill town. This is the summit or the highest point in Singalila range, and is also the highest peak in the state of West Bengal, India. The trek to Sandakphu goes all along the Singalila range.
- NJP to NJP
Day 1: New Jalpaiguri to Tumling via Manebhanjan | 102 Kms - 6 hours
After arrival at NJP/ Siliguri you will be picked-up from railway station or bust stand and we proceed to Manebhanjan. It will take 3½ hours to reach Manebhanjan. After lunch at Manebhanjan we start for Tumling by Jeep/4-wheel drive vehicle. It takes 2 hours to reach at Tumling. Overnight stay at Tumling in Homestay.
Day 2: Tumling to Kalipokhri Trek | 11 Kms - 7 hours
From Tumling, you will trek for about seven hours to reach Kalipokhri at an altitude of 10,400 ft. Initially you will trek uphill through an oak forest and beyond Gairibas, its rhododendrons and bamboo upto Kaiyakatta. Kaiyakatta is about 2kms from Gairibas. Stop for a hot cup of tea here and then we move on. The trail starts descending from here and it takes another 1.5 hours to reach Kalipokhri. Overnight stay at Kalipokhri.
Day 3: Kalipokhri to Sandakphu Trek | 7 Kms - 3-3.30 hours
An early start in the morning will take you to our dream destination - Sandakphu. You will not like to miss out the panoramic view of the snow peaks from Sandakphu. From Kalipokhri, the trekking route gradually descends up to Bikheybhanjang which is located 2kms away. On the way you will cross a place called Bhagsa where you can take a break for a couple of minutes. Then walk towards Bikheybhanjang. This is another small hamlet. The name means "Valley of Poison" because of the poisonous Aconite plants that grow in abundance around this place.
Further 4kms hike from Bikheybhanjang takes us to our final destination. It will be a great treat for your eyes and the best part of this Sandakphu Trek. Overnight stay at Sandakphu.
Day 4: Sandakphu to Sabargram Trek | 16kms - 7-8 hours
Wake up before sunrise for remarkable view of the Himalayas. The wide panorama of Nepal, Sikkim and Bhutan ranges is visible from left to right.Today’s trek surely makes entry in the list of finest ones in the Himalayas.You will walk on ridges and through meadows and maybe even run down a few slopes with the wind blowing through your hair. After some gradual ascents and descents you join the road again. This section takes 1.5 hours as you reach Thukumb Checkpost. Get your entry tickets checked here.The trail to Sabargram is towards your right while the Nepal road goes via the left trail. Take a left via the Nepal trail and walk for 10 minutes till you reach a hut. Another 15 minutes on the same trail will connect you back with the trail to Sabargram. This stretch takes around 3 to 4 hours till you find yourself at Forest Check Post of Sabarkum. This will be your campsite for today.
Day 5: Sabargram to Phalut Trek | 7 Kms - 3 hours
The trail from Sabargram to Phalut is a 7km zigzag route, which will take you about 2.5 hours.You get the closest views of the entire panorama. Here you will rendezvous with the “Sleeping Buddha”. Trekker’s huts are available for stay.
Day 6: Phalut to Gorkhey Trek | 15 kms - 5 hours
After an early morning breakfast with panoramic view we will start our trek to Gorkhey. From Phalut, you begin to descend. We descend 15 Km to Gorkhey. Gorkhey is picturesque small village with a stream flowing by side and borders with the northern part of West Sikkim. Private lodges and a Trekkers Hut are available for stay.
Day 7: Gorkhey to Bhareng Trek | 4 Kms - 2 hours
After early breakfast, we start our trek to Bhareng. The trail today goes through the forest and a trek of around two hours will lead you to Bhareng. After reach at Bhareng proceed to NJP by car.
- NJP / Bagdogra Airport pick-up & drop by Non AC Tata Sumo or similar vehicle.
- Sharing accommodation in Homestay and tents
- Guide & support staff
- Permit charges for Singalila National Park.
- Veg Meals from Day 1 Lunch to Day 7 Breakfast.
- Trek leader
- All our government taxes and service charges.
- Extra meals which are not mentioned in inclusions.
- Rucksacks, sleeping bag and other belongings mentioned in the checklist
- Camera/video camera/ Porter charges.
- Anything not mentioned in inclusions.
- All items of personal nature.
- Mineral water bottles
- Any cost arising due to natural calamities like landslides, roadblocks, etc.
- Any increase in taxes or fuel leading to an increase in surface transportation.
- Personal trekking equipments like jackets and trekking poles.
- Highest Point: Sandakphu ~3636 m/11930 ft & Phalut ~ 3600m/11800ft
- Decision of trek leader will be the final decision.
- Climatic conditions in the high altitudes vary from the plains; take adequate time to get acclimatized to high altitudes.
- Pay heed to the trek leaders or instructors in order to enjoy a safe and sound experience.
- Do not consume alcohol or any other intoxicants during the trek.
- Avoid roaming during the nights.
- Carry basic medications and a ORS during the tour.
- The tour takes place through eco-friendly zone; do not encourage littering the local sites or campsites.
- Do not throw garbage or plastics into the nature. Tri to enjoy the nature by letting it as it is. It is our duty to keep the nature clean.
- Please note the packages are designed strictly on the detailed itinerary being attached any extra sightseeing and excursion is subject to a supplement cost as per the actual.
- It is mandatory to carry the Photo Identity Proof during travel and have to be presented at the time of Check In in all hotels for security reason.
- No refund for unused service.
- Full refund if cancelled before* 30 days
- 75% refund if cancelled before 15 days
- 50% refund if cancelled before 7 days
- No refund after that
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point:
NJP or Bagdogra Airport