Tapovan Gaumukh Trek
Tapovan (4450m/14600ft) is a high altitude Alpine meadow, situated at the base of Mt. Shivling , on the west bank of Gangotri glacier. The word ‘Tapovan’ means a sacred and serene place, where the sages meditate for spiritual bliss. According to Hindu mythology, King Bhagiratha (Lord Rama’s ancestor) of the Ikshvaku dynasty, meditated here to Shiva for Ganga’s descent to the earth. From time unknown, Hindu sadhus or spiritualists come here to pay tribute to Lord Shiva and River Ganges. Tapovan, lush green in summer, blooming with wild flowers, turns golden in post-monsoon season. The valley, flanked by majestic Himalyan peaks like Mt. Shivling (6543m), Mt. Meru (6630m) and Kedar Dome (6808m) is a favourite destination for trekking enthusiastic, both Indians and foreigners. The Bhagirathi Group of peaks – I (6856m), II (6512m) and III (6454m) are visible on the eastern bank of Gangotri glacier. The trail from Gangotri to Tapovan via, Bhujbasa and Goumukh, though only 22 km and two days trek, it covers a vast array of geomorphological features, like the ‘I’ shaped river gorge of Ganges, then the snout of the glacier from where the river originates, followed by the glacier itself with lateral moraine and ice covered glacial debris and finally the steep edge of the glacier. Initially the trail runs amidst pine and birch forest, but crosses the tree line to reach this Alpine meadow where only perennial grasses, sedges, and forbs can survive. Sighting of Bharals (Blue Mountain Sheep) on nearby mountain slopes is common. The high altitude, rarity of oxygen, average 6-7km walk in the difficult terrain and the erratic weather make this a short but challenging trek.
Duration: 4 days of trekking
Total trek distance: 45 km
Maximum altitude: 4450 m/14600 ft
Best season: Mid May to June, September to October end.
Day 1: Haridwar to Gangnani - 235 km - 10/11 hrs (drive)
Pick up in the morning from Haridwar and reach Gangnani (2390m, 7840 ft). Distance around 235 km and can take 11/12 hrs. Night stay in lodge/hotel.
Day 2: Gangnani to Gangotri - 55 km - 2-3 hrs
After lunch we drive to Gangotri. Distance is 55 km and may take 2/3 hrs. Night stay in lodge.
Day 3: Acclimatisation day
cclimatisation day. Gangotri being above 3000m/10000ft, and air is thin. Atmospheric pressure is only 70% that of sea level. It is essential for any group to acclimatise a day before starting the trek. Some prefer to break the previous days tedious journey by spending a night in between Uttarkashi and Gangotri ( like Harshil). Walk around the temple area, if you have more reserves, you can hike towards Kedartal route for couple of hours and back. Night stay in lodge/hotel.
Day 4: Trek to Bhujbasa – 14 km – 7/8 hrs
Trek to Bhojbasa (3700m/12150ft). Distance is 14 Km and may take 7/8 hours. Night stay at tent.
Day 5: Bhujabasa to Tapovan via Gaumukh - 9 km - 5/6 hrs
Trek to Tapovan (4450m/14600ft) via Gaumukh (or Gomukh). Distance is 9 km and may take 5/6 hrs. Night stay at tent.
Day 6: Tapovan to Neel Tal & back - 3 hrs - Bhujabasa - 9 km - 4/5 hrs
Early in the morning hike to the surrounding Neela Tal. Return to the camp site and descent to Bhojbasa. Night stay at tent.
Day 7: Bhujabasa - Gangotri - 14 km - 6/7 hrs
Trek back to Gangotri. Night stay in lodge/hotel.
Day 8: Drive to Haridwar - 290 km - 13/14 hrs
Drive back to Haridwar by evening. Proceed for your homeward journey.
Shared Cab Transportation (Pay on spot):
Depending upon the trek members we can arrange a pick up from Haridwar (reach by 6 am) to Gangotri and back to Haridwar. This will be shared by the team members on actual basis.
Public Transportion Option (Pay on spot):
Otherwise if a trekker wants to reach Sankri by public vehicle then here is how:
- Take early moning bus from Haridwar to Uttarkashi from the Roadways/ISBT bus stand (opposite to Railway station) or a private one from G.M.O.U bus stand ( on the same main road, 2 minutes walk). This will take 7/8 hours. Change the bus to Gangotri (starts around 2 pm in the afternoon) from here, which will take 4/5 hours to cover the remaining 100 Km.
- While returning from Gangotri take the morning bus to Uttarkashi and then then change to Haridwar/Rishikesh.
- One night accommodation at Gangnani (Day 1) in tourist lodge/guest house on sharing basis and meals.
- 3 nights accommodation at Gangotri (Day 2, Day 3 and Day 7) on sharing basis.
- All meals during the trek (from Day 1 dinner to Day 8 breakfast). Regular Indian style nutritious vegetarian food during the trek (includes occasional eggs), breakfast, packed/hot lunch (depending upon the time you reach a campsite), snacks, dinner along with tea/coffee/soup.
- Transport from Gangnani to Gangotri (day-2)
- Excellent Mountain Guide, who will be a local to this particular area and has profound knowledge of the trekking trails around.
- Specialised Cook, Support staff, Porters for carrying the central logistics of the trek.
- All permit fee, camping charges, forest levy required for the trek.
- Stay during trek in tent on sharing basis (triple)
- Sleeping Mattress and Sleeping bag
- Micro spikes/Crampons and Gaiters if needed.
- Basic First Aid and Medical Kit.
- Full refund if cancelled before* 7 days
- 50% refund if cancelled before 3 days
- No refund after that