Tapovan trek is a spectacularly different trail inside Bhagirathi river valley to high up at the base of majestic Mt. Shivling. Tapovan (4,270 m/14,270 ft) a patch of green, situated on the west bank of Gangotri glacier amidst glacial moraine and debris. This is among few known trails which takes you to the core of the Himalayas inside a glacial valley. The word ‘Tapovan’ means a sacred and serene place, where the sages meditate for spiritual bliss. Tapovan, lush green in summer, blooming with wildflowers, turns golden in post-monsoon season. The valley, flanked by majestic Himalayan peaks like Mt. Shivling (6543 m), Mt. Meru (6630 m) and Kedar Dome (6808 m) is a favorite destination for trekking enthusiastic, both Indians and foreigners.
Day 1: Rest and active acclimatization day at Gangotri
- The guests are requested to report at Gangotri in the morning. We can arrange the transportation from Dehradun in a shared vehicle at an extra cost (should be intimated earlier)
- Reach Gangotri and take an acclimatization walk for about 3-4 km.
- Then take a rest at the lodge at Gangotri and get ready for the trek
Day 2: Trek to Bhojbasa from Gangotri via Chirbasa
- We will start the trek from Gangotri in the morning after breakfast.
- Take a trek to Bhojbasa via Chirbasa. The valley widens from Chirbasa and offers views of snow-clad peaks.
- It takes around 30-45 minutes to reach this ridge and cross the bend.
- The trek to Bhojbasa is a level walk and very scenic. Around 300 m above Bhojbasa, you get a vantage point.
- Total trek would be 14 km and it will take 6/7 hours to reach the camp.
- You get the first view of Mt Shivling at Bhojbasa and we will camp here for the night
Day 3: Trek to Tapovan via Gaumukh
- After breakfast, we will take the main trail to tapovan which is a bit difficult part of the trek.
- The trail involves climbing glacial moraine and traversing the Gaumukh glacier.
- The climb up the 100 meters can take an hour and a half and reach. The climb is adjacent to Akashganga.
- The total trail is about 10 km and it takes about 6/7 hours and we camp at Tapovan for the night.
Day 4: Rest and exploration day
- As we have had a tough trail on day 3, we will be taking some rest at the campsite at Tapovan.
- We can explore the region and we can walk towards Neeltal or Sundarvan/ Kedar Dome.
- We will have sumptuous dinner and take the rest for the day.
Day 5: Trek down to Chirbasa
- After the breakfast, we will start descending down from Tapovan to Chirbasa.
- The trail takes quite long as 15 km and it might take 6/7 hours with occasional breaks.
- We will be reaching Chirbasa by afternoon or by evening and rest for the day.
Day 6: Trek back to Gangotri and drive to Bhatwari
- We will start the trek back to Gangotri which is 9 km from Chirbasa and it will take almost 3 hours to reach Gangotri.
- The trails go inside the forest and a common path of less difficulty.
- We will reach Gangotri and start our drive towards Bhatwari which is 75 km away.
- The drive will take 3 hours to reach Bhatwari and we will be staying at the lodge to end the day .
- On the next day morning, we check out to end the tour here.
- 2 night’s accommodation at Gangotri (Day 1 & Day 2) and one night at Bhatwari (Day 7) in a lodge on sharing basis and dinner.
- All meals during the trek. Regular Indian style nutritious vegetarian food during the trek, breakfast packed/hot lunch (depending upon the time you reach a campsite), snacks, dinner along with coffee/tea/soup.
- Excellent trekking guide, who will be a local to this particular area and has a profound knowledge of the trekking trails around.
- Specialized Cook, Support staff, Porters/Packed Animals for carrying the central logistics of the trek.
- Stay in tents (3 person dome or ridge-shaped tents) on sharing basis during the trek.
- Camping equipment like a Sleeping bag, Carry mattress, Gaiters, Microspikes/Crampon. (Bring your own sleeping if you have a high altitude specific personal Sleeping Bag. This is always better for hygienic reasons.)
- Kitchen tent, dining tent and toilet tent as required during the trek.
- All permit fee, camping charges, forest levy required for the trek.
- Basic Medical & First Aid kit.
- Accidental Insurance Policy covering high altitude trekking tours (For Indian nationals it is included in the TREK FEE, up to 60 years of age). It covers your trek as well as your return journey to Dehradun.
Why book with TRODLY
- Best Price Guarantee
- Verified customer reviews that help you make the right decision.
- Qualified operators. All partner operators selected after rigorous system of checks.
- Free Cancellation on Most Trips
- Only Best Trips - Our team of travel experts bring uniquely local, safe, and exciting experiences to the community.
- 100% Secured Payments
- Full refund if cancelled before* 7 days
- 50% refund if cancelled before 3 days
- No refund after that
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point
Get trip inspirations, offers and more.