Chadar Trek via Lingshed Village 2019
Earlybird Offer Till September End!
Chadar Trek. The one of a kind trek and rightly named so. Chadar means sheet (in Hindi) and during the trek, you will literally be walking on a sheet of ice, the frozen Zanskar river.
- Trek on the frozen Zanskar river.
- Be a part the exclusive trek that is only available for about 45 days in a year.
- Camp under the open skies of the Ladakh region.
- For centuries this route was used as the trade route between India and Tibet.
Special Offer: Use Coupon Code CHADAR500 on Trodly Mobile App to get upto Rs. 500 early bird discount.
Chadar refers to the frozen lake with sheets of ice that forms over the Zanskar River. And it transforms itself from the fast and rapidly flowing river into a white coat of ice during winter. The river becomes frozen glass ice ranging from a bluish tinge to golden yellow when the sun touches the frozen river bed during the sunset. It will be a milky whitish frozen lake after dusk under the moonlight. This trek journey is unique and magical to describe the experience.
The villages are connected to the Zanskar Valley which is deep in the mountains along with the chilling and frozen lake. This is the only route for transportation and trades for centuries to the villages in the valley. Ice is more stable in February for the proper roads.
Available Batch Dates:
- January: 4th, 7th, 10th, 13th, 16th, 19, 22nd, 25th and 28th.
- February: 3rd, 6th, 9th and 12th.
Day 1: Arrival in Leh (11,400 ft.) | Stay in the guesthouse
Woollen cap and gloves are must and should be handy. All the high altitude passes to Leh closes in winter hence thinking reaching by road is out of the question. The region is heavily covered snow and can be spotted while flying to Ladakh.
One of the highest airports in the world is Leh airport, once you arrive at the airport, you will step into the fresh air and the drastic drop in the temperature. The town will be covered with snow and so people will be busy shedding it off their properties. The thick snow covered the town will slowly come to life. A walk to the Leh market, you will find only a few shops and restaurants open for business, last minute shopping can be done here. The chill will give you an idea of how the winter trek will serve you.
Day 2: Acclimatisation walk in Leh
Today is reserved for acclimatisation, we'll start our day early with a light walk around the Leh. We start our walk towards Shanti Stupa, a sacred Buddhist stupa, from where you will get an opportunity to witness a beautiful view of the sunrise and a panoramic sight of the town of Leh.
Stay hydrated as you spend your first day of the trek in Leh.
Day 3: Medical check-up at Sonam Narbu Hospital
As per the Government mandate, it is now mandatory for participants to acquire medical certification before they undertake the Chadar trek. A clearance certificate is issued upon a medical check-up at the Sonam Narbu Hospital. One will get a certificate only when adequately fit and acclimatized for the trek.
Day 4: Drive to Shingra Koma - Trek From Shingra Koma to Somo Paldar
Enjoy tea and breakfast in the morning, we will start the journey by driving to Shingra Koma, 65 km from Leh. This ride is not for the faint-hearted as bumpy roads and sharp bends are common on this route. You will have the majestic mountains and breathtaking views during the drive for the company as well. From Shingra Koma, our trek to Somo Paldar will start and it's a short trek to our campsite in Somo Paldar.
Your Chadar trek expedition has technically started from here.
Day 5: Trek from Somo Paldar to Tibb Cave – (10,550 ft - 10,760 ft) | Trek 10 km - Overnight Camp stay
After the breakfast, we start our trek to Tibb cave today.
A walk the deep of the Zanskar valley, soaking in the breathtaking beauty of the region. We will be crossing ravines and gorges on the way with the sun mostly hidden behind the high mountains. Once we're at Tibb, the large cave entrance will be unavoidable. In the journey, you will get to see the waterfalls from a higher view than the others. The rocks below these waterfalls are covered with moss, and this is the only greenery you’ll see on this trek.
There is a big cave at Tibb, a warm welcome from the village people. Here is where the butter tea is famously known after the chill trek. Group will camp here for the night.
Day 6: Tibb cave to Naerak camp – (10,760 ft - 11,150 ft) | Trek 12.5 km - Camp Stay
Today you will be walking near the river you crossed. The porters give you a twig of Juniper tree tied with a piece of prayer flag as a badge of good-luck and good health. A few steps away you will see the frozen waterfalls – a huge instance of suspended animation several feet tall and equally wide. You can find different colours in frozen falls as there will be sunlight touching it down. Right next to the waterfall is a bridge across the river which is a part of the summer-time road from Zanskar to Leh.
The Naerak village lies several feet above the river, a vigorous hour-long trek can take you to the village if you want to see the life of a Zanskari. The camp is set up close to the river.
Day 7: Naerak camp to Lingshed | 12.5 km Trek/ 7-8 hours - Camp Stay
From Naerak things get little tougher as it not only involves hike on snow and ice, but also some steep climbing. After two hours of level hike, we arrive at river confluence. From here we leave the Zanskar River and follow the tributary towards the Lingshed village. The trail is quite narrow here so you need to be careful.
On arriving at Lingshed, we visit a local village monastery, administered by the Gelug sect of Himalayan Buddhism. The lingshed monastery houses idols of Mahakala and Lord Buddha. Monastery also has six other temples and monks’ apartments.
Day 8: Lingshed to Tibb via Nareak Pullu
This day, the return phase of this Snow Trek to Lingshed Village begins. It will be a long day as you will not be spending a night in Naerak Pullu but walk past it on the way to Tibb. This gives you yet another chance to take photos of that massive frozen waterfall, you saw earlier. Stop here for a while, and try different poses in front of it. On reaching Tibb, get some much-needed rest inside the cave.
Day 9: Tibb Cave to Gyalpo - (10,760 ft - 10,550 ft.) | 12 km Trek - 5 to 6 hours
Starting from Tibb, go up to Gyalpo today. The high walls of mountains rising from the sides of the river almost look like castle walls. You will be noticing a lot of fresh trails and footprints all along the trek, belonging to Foxes, Ibex or Snow Leopards. Although you would be lucky to spot a Snow Leopard; but you can almost be sure that you are being watched by one all the time. Overnight at tents in Gyalpo.
Day 10: Gyalpo to Shingra Koma & Back To Leh
In the morning, get ready to leave Gyalpo and proceed towards Shingra Koma. The trail today will give you a chance to witness high mountains and pugmarks of wild animals like snow leopards, ibex and foxes. If lucky, you just might spot a leopard; even if you do not, then at least be sure, you would be watched by them.
In the evening, drive back to Leh and stay overnight at the hotel.
Day 9: Return from Leh (Return Flight)
As the memorable journey gets over, you will depart from Leh today. The Chadar trek will be a cherished memory for life.
- Accommodation during trek in tents (twin/triple sharing) and Leh Guest house (triple/quad sharing) on Day 1 and Day 8 as per the itinerary.
- Meals while on trek (Veg.)
- Camping equipments - (Sub-zero temperature sleeping bags, tent mattress and tents)
- First aid medical kits and oxygen cylinder.
- Experienced trek leader, guide and support staff.
- All transportation as per the itinerary.
- Wildlife Fee if any (There is no fee currently)
- Local Union Fees - ALTOA, LAHDC etc
- Medical expenses (apart from first aid) and insurance of any kind.
- Mineral Water & any kind of beverages
- Airport pick-up & drop
- Any expenses arising out of unforeseen circumstances like flight delay / cancellation / hike in fare, strike or any other natural calamities or any emergency evacuation expenses.
- Meals in Leh
- Porter to carry personal luggage - Available at Rs.750 per day for upto 9 kg bag
- Anything not specifically mentioned under 'Inclusions'
- Additional Night at Hotel in Leh with Heating and Hot water @ Rs.1800 Per Person/Night on Twin Sharing Basis without meals.
- Oxygen cylinders and first aid will be there during the trek. Rescue and medical team will be available on call in case of any exigencies.
- Tented accommodation will be provided on twin/triple sharing basis while on the trek.
- Single Room and Tent avaiable at Rs. 8500 /- extra
List of Essential items for Chadar Trek via Lingshed Village 2018
Backpack (Min 60 Ltrs) with Rain Cover
- Trekking Shoes. (Quechua Forclaz 500 M Wenge Men Hiking Boots (43))
- Gum boots
- 4 Pairs of Full sleeve shirts/T-Shirt and Track Pants (1 should be waterproof/windproof)
- 4 Pair of cotton socks. 3 pairs of wollen socks.
- 2 Full Sleeve Sweater (Quechua Forclaz 50 Fleece, Men’s Large (Black))
- One Heavy Down Jacket (Quechua Warm Down Ski Jacket, XXL (Black)
- Thermal Inners -2 Pair
- 2 pair water proof hand gloves
- 2 Pair woollen Gloves
- Sun Cap
- One Scarf
- Light towel
- Lip Balm
- Cold Cream & Sun Screen (SPF 40+)
- Water Bottle 1 Lt
- Headlamp or torch with fresh pair of batteries
- Personal Toilet Kit and toilet paper
- Personal Medicine Kit
- Dark Sunglasses (U/V protected)
- Walking Stick (At least one)
- People who were spectacles- Should avoid contact lenses and use use photo chromatic glassesinstead
- 75% refund if cancelled before 45 days
- 50% refund if cancelled before 30 days
- No refund after that
Select from the list of add-ons to customize this activity
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
The Chadar trek is categorized as a moderately difficult trek. The trail is relatively easy and very much doable by trekkers who have no prior trekking experience. The biggest challenge on Chadar Trek is cold in real low temperatures. Trekkers on Chadar Trek should keep themselves warm by layering, carry the right kind of clothing and follow all instructions given by the trek leaders and guides.
131 travellers found this helpful
Meals will be provided while on trek. Our cooks will be serving the simple vegetarian nutritious veg hot meals for breakfast and dinner during the camping. Pack lunch will be provided during the trek. (Rice pulao, potato, dal, local dishes, hot soups, eggs, breads, poha, sweet, tea, milk, high energy bars, dry fruits, juices etc. is the regular menu).
2 travellers found this helpful
Our operators take utmost care to ensure safety of customers during the trekking expeditions. However in the case of any unforeseen mishaps, operator or Trodly will not be liable for any injuries caused or for loss of life. All disputes rising due to the above are subject to the jurisdiction of the courts in New Delhi/Delhi only. All participants would be required to sign an Indemnity Form before the start of the program, without which they would not be allowed to take part in the trekking and expeditions.
2 travellers found this helpful
An identification card (like driving license, voters ID card etc), along with a photocopy. A passport size photo. A medical certificate Format will be sent after confirmation. Disclaimer certificate. Format will be sent after confirmation.
2 travellers found this helpful
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point:
Leh Guest House
₹ 24500 Per Person