Barabar Caves, the Oldest Rock-Cut Caves Tour from Patna
A one day tour from Patna to the oldest rock-cut caves, come take a tour of Barabar Caves which are standing strong since 250 BC.
- A hassle-free tour to the ancient Barabar Caves and back from Patna.
- No haggling over the fares and waiting in long ques to avail a comfortable vehicle.
- Service of an experienced driver and a well-maintained car.
Located about 25 km from Bodh Gaya, Barabar Hills have India's oldest surviving rock-cut caves called Barabar Caves. The Barabar caves probably belong to the Mauryan period and were believed to be used by Buddhist monks. The architecture of these extraordinary caves is fairly unique and is famous for the echo effect in the inner chamber. There are four caves in the hills, Karan Chaupar, Lomas Rishi, Sudama and Visva Zopri. The Nagarjuni hills nearby also have three such caves. These caves date back to at least 250 BC.
- The driver will pick you from hotel/residence address in Patna city limits at a time selected while booking.
- Post the pick-up you will be driven to the Barabar Hills which are about 100 km from Patna, it would take you close to 4 hours to reach Barabar Hills.
- Upon arrival, you may visit the following suggested places, you may skip OR add a few of your own;
- Lomas Rishi Cave: This cave has an arch-shaped facade which replicates the wooden contemporary architecture, rows of rock-cut elephants lead the way to the stupa emblems.
- Sudama Cave: This cave is dedicated to the great Maurya empire Ashoka, this cave has bow-shaped arches.
- Karna Chaupar Cave: This cave has inscriptions dating back to 245 BCE.
- Visva Karma Cave: Can be accessed from the Ashoka steps carved in the cliff, this cave has two rectangular rooms.
- Post the Barabar Hills tour, you may proceed to the Nagarjuni Hills to which you will be driven to from Barabar Hills, and begin with the tour of the three following caves there:
- Gopi Cave: This cave was built by the grandson of Ashoka, Dasharatha as per the inscriptions. It is located on the south side of the hill.
- Vadithi-ka-Kubha cave: This cave is located on the northern side of the hill and is dedicated to the sect of Ajivikas by Dasharatha.
- Vapiya-ka-Kubha cave: Like the Vadithi-ka-Kubha cave this cave is also dedicated to the sect of Ajivikas by Dasharatha.
- After the completion of your tour, you will be driven back to Patna and be dropped at your hotel/residence in Patna city limits.
- All transportation using air-conditioned cab.
- Pickup and drop-off in Patna city limits.
- Driver and fuel charges.
- 250 kilometres of usage (can be extended with extra charges).
- Itinerary mentioned is a suggestion, you can add/skip places.
- Newspaper and water bottle.
Why book with TRODLY
- Best Price Guarantee
- Verified customer reviews that help you make the right decision.
- Qualified operators. All partner operators selected after rigorous system of checks.
- Free Cancellation on Most Trips
- Only Best Trips - Our team of travel experts bring uniquely local, safe, and exciting experiences to the community.
- 100% Secured Payments
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point
₹ 3490 Per Vehicle
Get trip inspirations, offers and more.