Sheshnag Lake Trek
A trek to Sheshnag Lake, a mesmerizingly beautiful lake in Jammu and Kashmir perched at an altitude of 3590 metres awaits to embrace you with its enchanting environs.
- 1.1 km in length and 0.7 km in width, the Sheshnag lake is considered as one of the most beautiful sights of Jammu and Kashmir tourism.
- A trek to a lake which is fed by the glaciers and freezes during the winters.
- Trek of moderate difficulty and can be done by first-time trekkers as well.
- Service of experienced mountain guides.
Nestled at an altitude of 3590 meters above the sea level, Sheshnag Lake is an oligotrophic lake (water body that has a low content of algal production and thus has clear water of high-drinking quality) that is home to several species of fish including the brown trout. The lake appears greenish in colour because of its lush green meadows that surround it, making it a breathtaking beauty to admire. With a measurement of 1.1km in length and 0.7 km in width, the lake is considered as one of the most beautiful sights of Jammu and Kashmir tourism. Sheshnag Lake is mainly fed by the streams and snow mountains above it and it usually freezes in winter. Along with its scientific importance, the lake has special significance for Hindu followers as well. Though there are various mythological stories related to the lake the most commonly believed one is that Sheshnag Lake basically belongs to Sheshnag, the Lord of Snakes, and is said to be dug by the Lord himself. And because of its presence on the route to holy Amarnath Cave, Sheshnag Lake is also a sacred pilgrimage site. Travellers can easily trek this must-visit Pahalgam tourist place from Chandanwadi Valley, which is only about 7miles away. It is best to visit this lake between June and September when it is easily accessible and at it's scenic best.
Day1: Arrive in Pahalgam (7200 feet) - Chandanwari (9500 feet) - Zojibal (11000 feet) | Trek 14-15 km
- After your arrival in Pahalgam at around 9:00 AM and you will begin your day with a meet and greet and a hike from Pahalgam to Chandanwari early in the morning.
- During the trek, the trail passes through some of the most beautiful forests of maple and pine along Lidder River.
- After a 9-10 KM walk up soft slopes, the trail enters the beautiful valley of Chandanwari. You may stop to have lunch in between the green mountains.
- Then start the hike again, the trail ascends initially for few kilometres to PissuTop (11,000feet) from where you get breathtaking views all around.
- Zojibal is 5 km away from Pissu top. It is a straight rocky walk from Pissutop.
- Reach Zojibal and have delicious dinner served and overnight stay in Zojibal.
Day 2: Trek from Zojibal (11000 feet) to Sheshnag (11730 feet) via Nagakoti | Trek 5 km (approximate)
- On the second day, you will begin your trek from Zojibal to Nagakoti after a nice warm breakfast.
- The distance between Zojibal and Nagakoti is around 2 KM and has moderate climbing to do. Altitude increases by 300 feet in this 2 KM.
- There are some beautiful mountain streams between the trail points. You will be covering this short distance in more than one hour courtesy of some photo sessions.
- Some part of this 2 KM distance is very narrow and 'Yatris' (Pilgrims) are not allowed to travel on ponies. They have to walk through this narrow path.
- After Nagakoti your next and last destination for the day will be the Sheshnag Lake. Sheshnag Lake is the origin of the beautiful East Lidder River.
- From Nagakoti, Sheshnag yatra camp is at 2 KM away and just after 1 KM into the trail you can enjoy the breathtaking views of this charming lake.
- After the first glimpse of the lake, you will forget all the tiredness of the journey. The first scene of the lake is small light blue coloured waterbody appearing between two small hills and a small stream flowing through the gap between those two hills.
- Enjoy the dinner served and you will be staying overnight stay at Sheshnag camp.
Day 3: Sheshnag Lake (11730 feet) - Chandanwari (9500 feet) - Pahalgam (7200 feet) | Trek 14-15 km
- After spending the night at the shores of the lake, it is time to head back to Pahalgam.
- After breakfast, follow the same trail to Chandanwari for about 4 hours.
- The trail passes Pissu Top and spectacular, primaeval countryside.
- After reaching Chandanwari, take a break and then you will start trekking again, and this section of the trek will take you through dense jungles of maple.
- Keep following the same trail to reach Pahalgam. Stay for the night at either Pahalgam or board a vehicle and head to Srinagar.
- Accommodation in camps (twin/triple/quadruple sharing basis)
- Camping charges and sleeping bags.
- Meals during the trek (3 breakfasts, 3 Lunches and 2 Dinners)
- Car pick-up and drop-off from Pahalgam to Aru
- Bonfire charges
- Barbeque (Veg and Non-Veg)
- Pony for luggage
- Services of a professional guide
Why book with TRODLY
- Best Price Guarantee
- Verified customer reviews that help you make the right decision.
- Qualified operators. All partner operators selected after rigorous system of checks.
- Free Cancellation on Most Trips
- Only Best Trips - Our team of travel experts bring uniquely local, safe, and exciting experiences to the community.
- 100% Secured Payments
- Full refund if cancelled before* 7 days
- 50% refund if cancelled before 3 days
- No refund after that
*Advance payment is non-refundable
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point
₹ 8500 Per Person
Get trip inspirations, offers and more.