5 Nights/6 Days
10 to 15 people
Situated in the lofty Garhwal Himalayas, the Kedarkantha peak offers a very accessible trek, anytime of the year. The trek takes you on a memorable journey starting with the Govind National Park which is a treasure house of flora and fauna such as leopards, bears, musk deers and many birds! The uniqueness of this trek lies in the way it mixes beautiful scenery with a challenging route. Days will be warm but nights are to watch out for as sub-zero temperatures are a common phenomenon. All the challenges aside, at an altitude of 3800m/12,500 feet, the trek promises a sweeping view from the peak.
Day 1: Dehradun to Sankri (2000m)
Your trip will start with a drive from Dehradun to Sankri, via Mussourrie, alongside the Yamuna and Tons rivers. The drive also passes by beautiful pine forests. On reaching Sankri, we will explore the scenic hamlet to prepare for the trek that lies ahead and stay at the hotel Wild Orchid overnight.
Day 2: Sankri to Shepherd Campsite (2900m)
After a luxurious breakfast, we will set out on a moderate hike which, for the most part, goes through the forest. We will walk to Saur village and then climb up till we reach a small pond, Juda-ka-Talab, which is frozen during winters. As we continue climbing up, we will get fleeting glimpses of the snow-capped HImalayan peaks. One more hour of hiking will take us to the meadows where we will camp overnight, in tents.
Day 3: Shepherd Campsite – Base of Kedarkantha (3400m)
Kedar Kantha base becomes our destination for the day and we start for it post breakfast. Today will be a busy day for the shutterbugs as the trek route is beautiful with open views on all side and vast snow fields decorated with green patches. However, our destination is even more impressive. Imagine a vast open, snow fields, the size of two football fields, a stream running by and misty mountains forming the background - this is the Kedar Kantha base where we will camp overnight in tents. We told you it was impressive!
Day 4: Base of Kedarkantha to Kedarkantha Peak (3800m) to Juda ka Talab
Now imagine, if the Kedar Kantha base is that stunning, what will the view from the summit be like? The distance to the summit is not long but the climb is steep and depending upon the snow conditions then, we will pick the best route - and it will take about 2-3 hours. As for the view from the top - you will be able to see all the mountains of the Yumnotri, Gangotri and the Kinner Kailash range, plus the valleys. Next, we will descend the peak and trek all the way down to Juda-ka-Talab or an alternate campsite, depending on which route we choose. Overnight in tents.
Day 5: Juda ka Talab to Sankri
We will return to Sankri today after an early breakfast. It is a short trek and will only last a couple of hours. We will check into the hotel at Sankri. Rest day is free to explore Sankari. Overnight in Hotel.
Day 6: Sankri to Dehradun
After breakfast, we will board the vehicles and start driving back towards Dehradun. Arrive in Dehradun by around late afternoon.
- Accommodation during the trek (camping)
- All meals - vegetarian
- Trekking permits and forest camping charges
- Trekking equipment (tents, sleeping bags, ice axes, ropes, etc.)
- Safety equipment (first aid, medical kit, oxygen cylinders, stretcher, etc.)
- Services of an expert trek leader (qualified in basic/advanced mountaineering courses)
- Services of an expert trek team (guides, cooks, helpers, porters/mules)
- Transport from your city to Dehradun and Return
- Food during transit to and from the base camp
- Backpack offloading charges
- Personal expenses of any kind
- Anything apart from the inclusions
- We meticulously tag along safety management procedures and guidelines.
- Our leaders are well trained at the Nehru Institute of Mountaineering school on safety management and first aid. We have a very well skilled team of Outdoors Instructors lead by mountaineer equivalence excellence and unvarying enhancement of skills and each guide is hand-picked for attitude & love for the mountains as much as for absolute trekking excellence.
- We do trekking in small groups (not more than 12), so can manage batter services along with a team of guides and porters with mule. The porters along with one guide travel in front of the pack to ensure that the trail is clear and to set up the camp site in advance.
- 30 days: Full refund (after deducting any expenses that have been incurred for hotel bookings, transport, etc.)
- 21-30 days: 75% of trip cost will be refunded (after deducting any expenses that have been incurred for hotel bookings, transport, etc.)
- 14-21 days: 50% of trip cost will be refunded (after deducting any expenses that have been incurred for hotel bookings, transport, etc.)