Chandratal Lake Road Trip and Camping (2 Days)
The ride to Chandratal – The Moon Lake is truely a 2 day crash course to riding around Spiti. Not to be played around with, you really need to know your stuff to venture into the looming scree mountains and unforgiving terrain of Spiti. SUV off-road trip to Chandertaal offers a rush of a lifetime and a view of the “Promised Land”.
Chandratal is known as the Moon Lake (from its crescent shape) and shimmers at an altitude of 4,300 mts (14,000 ft) in the Spiti region of the Lahoul and Spiti district of the state of Himachal Pradesh. Chandertaal feeds the fierce river Chandra and is almost 2.5 Km in circumference. It is in turn fed by glacier Samudri Taapu. The ride starts from our basecamp in Manali and passes through the lush green forests of Marhi, Gulaba and on to Rohtang Pass (a 3 to 4 hour ride depending on your riding skills and the killer traffic). The non-existent road leads to Chhatru and then on to Batal. Chandertal is just 38 km from here and we will camp just before the lake at an exotic location
Route: Manali - Marhi - Gulaba - Rohtang Pass - Chhatru - Batal - Chandratal
- Adventurous on-road & off-ride drive to Chandratal
- Camping, stargazing at Chandratal Lake
- Reach Kunzum La situated at 4551 mts. (15018 ft.)
Day 0 (OPTIONAL ADD-ON): ACCLIMATIZATION IS THE KEY
- This is a high altitude tour where we would be sleeping at altitudes above 14000 feet, It is strongly recommended that you arrive a day earlier, walk around and initiate the process of acclimatization in the Himalayas.
- we'll recieve you upon your arrival in Manali and check-in at the base in comfortable rooms
- Hike to the ancient village of 'Soil'. Experience the culture and cuisine of the valley
- Reach dA Base by early evening for “around the bonfire” conference with the other climbers. Break the ice with some great dinner and chill with your fellow travelers.
Day 1: Arrive in Manali - Drive/Ride to Chandratal | 140 km - 8 hours
Reach Patlikulh Bus Stop by 6AM, 16 kms before main Manali. Get picked-up by the team member and report at the Base Camp in Haripur and meet the team members over refreshments. After bike (RE 350 cc) allotment, we will depart at 7:00 am sharp for our off roading ride to looming landscape of Spiti. We'll take a refreshment break at Gulaba. We'll have an early lunch at Chhatru (estimated time: 4 hour from the start). Next stop Batal, where we'll stop for tea break. Chandertal is just 38 km from here and we will camp just before the lake at an exotic location in comfortable luxury camping tents.
Day 2: Ride back from Chandratal - Kunzum La - Batal - Chhatru - Rohtang Pass - Manali Basecamp | 140 km - 8 hours
After an early breakfast, we will leave from Chandertal and head on to Kunzum La, which is also the highest point of the trip. From here, we will ride back to Chhatru for lunch and then continue to the basecamp in Haripur, Manali while passing Rohtang Pass. From here, head on to board your buses to Delhi.
- Pick-up and drop to 15 Mile volvo bus stop
- Travel by high clearance suv or traveler
- Stay in swiss tents at Chandratal
- Refreshments, Dinner and Breakfast during camping (nutritious freshly cooked vegetarian)
- Experienced Driver cum Guide specializing on Spiti roads
- Wildlife/ environmental permits and other permits & levies.
Why book with TRODLY
- Best Price Guarantee
- Verified customer reviews that help you make the right decision.
- Qualified operators. All partner operators selected after rigorous system of checks.
- Free Cancellation on Most Trips
- Only Best Trips - Our team of travel experts bring uniquely local, safe, and exciting experiences to the community.
- 100% Secured Payments
- Full refund if cancelled before* 30 days
- 50% refund if cancelled before 7 days
- No refund after that
*Advance payment is non-refundable
₹ 4500 Per Person
Get trip inspirations, offers and more.