Hampta Pass with Chandrataal 2019 - Group Departures
Hampta pass - A stunning crossover trek from Manali to Spiti
The Chandrataal over Hampta pass trek offers that peek into the 2-sides of the Himachal. Starting from the lush green of Kullu valley to the barrenness of Spiti. This trek is a good initiation into high altitude trekking in Himachal Pradesh.
- Trek to the high altitude Hampta Pass and crossover to enter the Spiti region.
- A Trans-Himalayan trek to the beautiful Chandrataal - The moon lake.
- Visit Kunzum La in the Spiti region of Himachal Pradesh.
- All inclusive price: No hassle of paying on multiple occasions during the trek.
- Verified information: All inclusions and details are verified by Trodly team.
Perched at an altitude of 4270 meters on the Pir Panjal range of Himalayas, Hampta pass is a small corridor between Lahaul's Chandra Valley and Kullu valley of Himachal Pradesh, India.
On the other hand, one beauty of a lake which goes by the name of Chandrataal is situated in the Spiti part of the Lahul and Spiti district of Himachal Pradesh.
The route covered during this trek will be Manali - Pirni - Chikka - Hampta Pass - Chattru - Kunzum La - Chandrataal - Rohtang Pass - Manali.
Day 1: Report in Manali by 8:00 am, Meet the team at Pirni and Trek to Chikka | 3530 meters | 40 min Drive | 3-4 Hours Trek
- You will have to reach Manali and meet the team at Pirni which is about 2 km from Manali.
- You will be meeting other trekkers and team here.
- Post which you will be driven to the trek starting point Jobri, after a briefing session with the trek leader.
- In the spirit of trekking, your host will wait for the whole group to come in before the trek starts, that said, drive to Jobri will start latest by 09:00 am.
- The trekking trail alternates from thick forests and open grounds till Chikka.
- You will be crossing a few glacial streams over improvised wood bridges.
- After 3-4 hrs into the trek, we'll be greeted by the beautifully forested peaks, visible form Chikka.
- From here you also get an excellent view of Deo Tibba and Indrasan group of peaks.
- You'll be in Chikka by lunchtime. Your camping site for the night will be in Chikka.
Day 2: Trek from Chikka to Balu Ka Gera | 3530 meters | 4-5 Hours Trek
- On the second day, you will be trekking from Chikka to Balu Ka Gera.
- The trail leads to alpine meadows, full of interesting flora. After crossing stream at Juara, the glacial features of the surrounding mountains can be seen along the way.
- Bhalu ka Ghera (Bear’s circle), in its literal sense, is a place where brown bears are said to hibernate during winters. A beautiful camping spot and it is here that we will set up our camps for the night.
Day 3: Trek from Balu Ka Gera to Hampta Pass (4298 meters) and Shea Goru | 7 Hours Trek
- On the third day after a hearty breakfast, you’ll start the day early by climbing up for about 2 km up to the Hampta pass, while walking on the snowfields. It is now time to get shutter happy with your camera.
- The final ridge is a little steep to climb and when snowbound you will have to cut steps in the ice up the pass.
- The view from here is jaw-dropping. The peaks of the Kulti valley and of the Chandrabhaga group can be witnessed.
- From the top of the pass, you can see the majestic Mt. Deo Tibba (6001m), Indrasan (6221m) and the mighty Greater Himalayan and Pir Panjal Range.
- A short descent leads to the camping site at Shiya Goru (also written as Shea Goru). You will camp in a beautiful meadow by the stream.
Day 4: Trek from Shea Goru to Chattru to Batal to Kunzum La (4590 meters) and back to Chandrataal | 3-4 Hours Trek
- Today’s trek begins with crossing a small stream and a walk following the valley stream down to the mighty Chandra river.
- The descent to the river is a bit steep and follows a long ridge.
- Once in the valley, you will rejoin the road which crosses the bridge across the river to Chatru.
- However gentle the river appears, do not try to cross the river alone, always use the bridge.
- Arriving by the side of Manali-Spiti road at Chattru, you will stop here for tea and lunch break.
- After the lunch, you will be driven to visit Chandratal via Chhota Dhara (3517 m) and Batal.
- There are lovely views of the “Chhota Shigri” (small glacier) and “Bara Shigri” (big glacier) along with several high peaks of Lahaul.
- Once you have arrived in Batal, the onward journey can be very windy as the valley opens up here.
- The road climbs steeply around many bends to Kunzum La in the east. This road leads to Spiti valley.
- There is a new footpath leading from Kunzum La that descends to Chandrataal, however, the more direct approach is the road from Batal, going into the Chandra valley in the north.
- You will be driven along the left bank river Chandra after crossing a bridge near Batal. The trail continues for about 14 km to the scenic campsite at the bank of Chandrataal, from here you can see the panoramic view of the Chandra-Bhaga (CB) range.
- You will be camping overnight at Chandrataal lake.
Day 5: Trek from Chandrataal to Batal to Chatru and then be Driven from Rohtang Pass to Marhi and back to Manali | 7-8 Hours Drive
- The emerald coloured expanse of the Chandrataal lake is breathtaking. Spend the morning at leisure by the lake. Situated in a bowl and in a beautiful crescent shape, it offers a view of many peaks.
- The massive Samundri Tapu glacier joins the valley from the west. It is linked with some major peaks and the Mulkila group at its head.
- As all adventures come to an end to make way for new ones, we drive back to Manali via Chatru, Rohtang Pass (3980 m) and Marhi.
- For the adventurous few who want to spike the adventure, even more, there is the option of boarding the much sought after Himachal Tourism bus back to Manali. That is what I did and it was great fun. Rohtang Pass offers a splendid view of the Lahaul Valley.
- You will then head on to Manali by 9 am or even earlier and reach anytime between 4 pm to 6 pm depending on weather, road and traffic conditions.
- The trek ends here and those leaving the same day will be dropped in Manali to continue your journey back to Delhi.
Day 6: (Optional):
- Head to the base camp for a celebratory dinner and bonfire.
- Next day after breakfast explore Manali, go for paragliding or zip lining or spend a day at leisure, angling by the river.
- Later your host will drop you to Patlikuhal bus stop for your onward journey.
- Services of an experienced lead guide and experienced high altitude cook, local assistant guides and trek coordinator.
- Porter/pony for equipment and camping gear
- Stay in 3 men hiking tents during the trek
- All meals during the trek (nutritious freshly cooked vegetarian) from lunch on day 1 to breakfast on day 5.
- Kitchen equipment, cook and helper
- All the camping arrangements
- Wildlife/environmental permits and other permits & levies
- Essential first aid/ first responder equipment including oxygen and medicines
- Transport from Chandrataal to Manali in a shared cab or public transportation
Why book with TRODLY
- Best Price Guarantee
- Verified customer reviews that help you make the right decision.
- Qualified operators. All partner operators selected after rigorous system of checks.
- Free Cancellation on Most Trips
- Only Best Trips - Our team of travel experts bring uniquely local, safe, and exciting experiences to the community.
- 100% Secured Payments
- Full refund if cancelled before* 24 hour
- No refund after that
*Advance payment is non-refundable
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Our thoroughly researched itineraries are designed to offer you access to some of the world\'s best-kept secrets. We have personally explored the destinations we offer with in-depth knowledge that goes towards making your experience more than worth your while. However, at times due factors beyond any one’s control, situations may arise which can pose a challenge to the safety and security of the group members. To minimize any negative impact, we subscribe strictly to “Safety Protocol” which is an intensive and comprehensive compilation of safety and security measures undertaken to ensure a seamless and safe experience for its guests. There are factors which are controllable and attention to them ensures lower risks and toned down consequences.
8 travellers found this helpful
We provide our clients with porters/ponies for their convenience on demand and at a fixed price (Rs.500 per day for the duration of the trek and a maximum of 10 kg per person)
4 travellers found this helpful
Some of our own trek leaders are qualified, experienced ladies. All treks are extremely safe for ladies and we have a lot of solo clients who are ladies.
4 travellers found this helpful
You need to carry an original ID card and a photograph.
4 travellers found this helpful
There are no doctors on the trek; however our trek leaders are experienced in first aid and basic medical protocols.
4 travellers found this helpful
Our trip will start from the base camp in Haripur, 14 km short of Manali. If you are travelling by Volvo bus, you are requested to de-board at the Patlikuhal bus stand and we will receive you from there and drive you to the base camp
3 travellers found this helpful
The water during the trip is fresh and it is recommended to carry your personal reusable water bottles and filters as well.
5 travellers found this helpful
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point
₹ 7500 Per Person
Get trip inspirations, offers and more.