Hampta Pass Trek with Chandratal and Kunzum La, Ki and Kibber
This is one amazing trip that covers Hampta Pass trek, camping at Lake Chandratal, the highest village in the world Kibber, Ki Monastery and Spiti road trip with truly amazing photography opportunities.
Kullu and Lahaul are two adjoining districts and are separated by the formidable Rohtang La. Rohtang La is snowbound from October to June. Both the valleys are geographically quite different. The Kullu/Manali valleys are green with thick forest cover and heavy rains. However, Lahaul is in a rain-shadow area with partial Trans-Himalayan barrenness. The trail to Chandertaal over Hampta Pass combines both these areas gives a wonderful walk with two completely different terrains to enjoy.
- Camping at Chandratal
- Hampta Pass
- Kunzum La and Rohtang La
- A trip to highest village in the world, Kibber
- Ki Monastery and Spiti
- 1 Night Luxury Swiss Tents before the trek
- 1 Night at Base Camp Manali in comfortable rooms
- Awesome Food, choice of veg/ non-veg
- Smaller Group Size: 6 - 10 participants
Duration: 5 Night/6 Days
Maximum Altitude: 4590 m
Route: Manali - Pirni - Chikka - Hampta Pass - Chattru - Kunzum La - Chandertaal - Kaza - Kibber - Losar - Rohtang Pass - Manali.
Day 1: Manali - Prini - Sethan | 1 Hrs Drive
Reporting time at Prini: 12 pm
Day 2: Sethan - Jobri - Chikka - Bhalu Ka Ghera (3627 m) | 8 Kms - 6 Hrs Trek
Day 3: Balugherach - Hampta Pass (4298 m) to Shiya Goru | 5 Kms - 6 Hrs Trek
Start the day early by climbing up for about 2 km up to the Hampta pass, while walking on the snowfields. It is now time to get shutter happy with your camera. The final ridge is a little steep to climb and when snow-bound you will you will have to cut steps in the ice up the pass. The view from here is jaw dropping. The peaks of in Lahaul, particularly in the Kulti valley and of the Chandrabhaga group, are seen as a huge cluster, with the peak of Mulkila IV raising its head above them. From the top of the pass, you can see the majestic Mt. Deo Tibba (6001 m), Indrasan (6221 m) and the mighty Greater Himalayan and Pir Panjal Range. A short descent leads to the campsite at Shiya Goru. We will camp in a beautiful meadow by the stream.
Day 4: Shiya Goru - Chattru - Chandratal (4270 m) | 4 Hrs Trek and 2 Hrs Drive
Today’s trek begins with crossing a small stream and a walk following the valley stream down to the mighty River Chandra. The descent to River Chandra is a bit steep and follows a long ridge. Once in the valley, you will rejoin the road which crosses the bridge across the river to Chatru. However gentle the river appears, do not try to ford the River Chandra – always use a bridge. This deceptive river has swept away many trekkers trying to take a shortcut. Arriving by the side of Manali-Spiti road at Chattru, we will stop here for tea and lunch break before driving to Chandertaal via Chhota Dhara (3517 m) and Batal.
There are lovely views of the “Chhota Shigri” (small glacier) and “Bara Shigri” (big glacier) along with several high peaks of Lahaul. From Batal onwards it can be very windy as the valley opens up here. The road climbs steeply around many bends to Kunzum La in the east. This road leads to Spiti valley. There is a new footpath leading from Kunzum La that descends to Chandratal, however, the more direct approach is the road from Batal, going into the Chandra valley in the north. We wil be driving along the left bank river Chandra after crossing a bridge near Batal. The trail continues for about 14 km to the scenic campsite at the bank of Chandratal, from here you can see the panoramic view of the Chandra-Bhaga Range.
Day 5: Chandratal - Kunzum La - Ki Monastery - Kibber - Losar - Batal - Rohtang - Manali
The emerald coloured expanse is breathtaking. Spend the morning at leisure by the mesmerizing Chandertaal Lake. Situated in a bowl and in a beautiful crescent shape, it offers a view of many peaks. The massive Samundri Tapu glacier joins the valley from the west. It is linked with some major peaks and the Mulkila group at its head. Witness the grandeur of the mighty Himalaya as we drive to Kaza over the Kunzum La (4590 m) pass. You will witness majestic landscape of the high altitude dessert adorned with glaciers. visit Ki Monastery and ‘the highest village, Kibber.Mingle with the localsto learn about their culture and lifestyle. Brilliant photography opportunities to get those national geographic like pictures
- 1 night in comfortable luxury Swiss tents with attached baths in Camp Deodar, Sethan
- Stay in comfortable tents during the trek on triple sharing
- Stay in comfortable rooms on 3 sharing basis at Base Camp in Manali.
- Pick up from Prini to Camp Deodar Sethan
- Drop to Manali for departure
- Meals included - Starting from Lunch on day-1 to breakfast on day-6 (veg/non-veg freshly cooked)
- Celebratory Dinner over bonfire n woodfire bbq
- Services of a Trip Manager, experienced and qualified lead guide and experienced local assistant guide
- Kitchen equipment, high altitude cook and helpers.
- All the Camping arrangements
- Wildlife/ environmental permits and other permits & levies.
- All transportation as per itinerary in local cars / jeeps
- First-aid medication with oxygen cylinder and all emegency back ups
- Food at dhabhas during the road trip
- Cost of any form of insurance (Personal/Baggage/Medical)
- Cost of rescue, evacuation, hospitalization, etc.
- Any expenses of purely personal nature like laundry, phone/fax calls, tips to drivers, guides, any beverages.
- Any expenses that arise due to change in itinerary and increase in no. of days because of natural forces like landslides, weather, roadblocks, flight cancellations, sickness etc.
- Cost of any optional activity we offer, like paragliding, angling, rafting etc.
- Porterage for your personal bags
Why book with TRODLY
- Best Price Guarantee
- Verified customer reviews that help you make the right decision.
- Qualified operators. All partner operators selected after rigorous system of checks.
- Free Cancellation on Most Trips
- Only Best Trips - Our team of travel experts bring uniquely local, safe, and exciting experiences to the community.
- 100% Secured Payments
- Failing to report at the reporting time will be considered as a "No-show" case.
- In case you are travelling by your own car, we suggest you arrive directly at our basecamp located in Haripur (address will be shared after booking), 16 km from Manali on the Naggar road, the day before the start of the trek.
- Participants are expected to have a reasonably good fitness level.
- For this trip we take max. 10 participants in one group
- Trekking programs in the Himalaya not necessarily would always run exactly as scheduled. Allow for unplanned long days or early camps due to weather disruptions or similar causes.
- All participants are recommended to have a travel insurance that covers trekking and wilderness travel.
- Wear shoes and clothes you are comfortable in and do not forget waterproof jackets and warm clothing.
- Do not litter the environment. Polythene and plastics are non-biodegradable and unhealthy for the environment and must not be littered or burned and should be carried back
- Soak up the atmosphere – close your eyes and take in the sights and sounds as you explore and observe.
- Full refund if cancelled before* 30 days
- 75% refund if cancelled before 15 days
- 50% refund if cancelled before 7 days
- No refund after that
*Advance payment is non-refundable
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Some of our own trek leaders are qualified, experienced ladies. All treks are extremely safe for ladies and we have a lot of solo clients who are ladies.
5 travellers found this helpful
There are no doctors on the trek; however our trek leaders are experienced in first aid and basic medical protocols.
4 travellers found this helpful
Our thoroughly researched itineraries are designed to offer you access to some of the world\'s best-kept secrets. We have personally explored the destinations we offer with in-depth knowledge that goes towards making your experience more than worth your while. However, at times due factors beyond any one’s control, situations may arise which can pose a challenge to the safety and security of the group members. To minimize any negative impact, we subscribe strictly to “Safety Protocol” which is an intensive and comprehensive compilation of safety and security measures undertaken to ensure a seamless and safe experience for its guests. There are factors which are controllable and attention to them ensures lower risks and toned down consequences.
8 travellers found this helpful
We provide our clients with porters/ponies for their convenience on demand and at a fixed price (Rs.500 per day for the duration of the trek and a maximum of 10 kg per person)
4 travellers found this helpful
You need to carry an original ID card and a photograph.
4 travellers found this helpful
Our trip will start from the base camp in Haripur, 14 km short of Manali. If you are travelling by Volvo bus, you are requested to de-board at the Patlikuhal bus stand and we will receive you from there and drive you to the base camp
3 travellers found this helpful
The water during the trip is fresh and it is recommended to carry your personal reusable water bottles and filters as well.
5 travellers found this helpful
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point
₹ 9800 Per Person
Similar Exciting Activities
North Bay Island
Also viewed by other travellers
Manali, Lahaul & Spiti
Get trip inspirations, offers and more.