Mahabalipuram and Kanchipuram Day Tour from Chennai
Witness the places in Mahabalipuram and Kanchipuram on this 10-hour day tour from Chennai. Both are ancient locations possessing rich heritage and cultural history in their temples, iconic monuments, and stone carvings.
Connect with us Live by Clicking on 'Chat' or Whatsapp Click Here
On this Chennai tour, starting from Mahabalipuram and heading on to Kanchipuram, a city famous for ancient Hindu temples, explore some of the best stone carvings in the world and incredible architecture and monolithic monuments on the East Coast of India.
Enjoy a day of sightseeing in Mahabalipuram and Kanchipuram, away from the hustle and bustle of the city.
Experience the grandeur of monuments like Shore Temple, a living proof of amazing medieval architecture.
Hassle-free pick-up and drop-off facility.
There are a lot of places to visit in Mahabalipuram and Kanchipuram when on a tour from Chennai. On one hand, Mahabalipuram is a combination of beaches and rock-cut carvings, whereas Kanchipuram is the city of grand architecture and temples. It depicts the history of the Pallava dynasty, carved out beautifully and in an extremely detailed manner. The places also include a few World Heritage sites declared by UNESCO, which further prompts you to take your next trip via this tour package. Mahabalipuram is also coming up with some water sports activities to cater to every type of tourist. So don’t wait any longer to enrich your inside travel monger!
Mahabalipuram and Kanchipuram Day Trip Itinerary
- Your tour starts with a pick-up from your Chennai hotel or residence, and then you will be driven to Kanchipuram, which is a 3-hour journey from Chennai.
- You will reach Kanchipuram and visit the following attractions:
- Kamakshi Amman Temple: Located in Kanchipuram, this revered Hindu temple is dedicated to Goddess Kamakshi, an incarnation of Goddess Parvati. It is renowned for its majestic architecture, intricate carvings, and spiritual significance as one of the 51 Shakti Peethas.
- Ekambareswarar Temple: Another prominent temple in Kanchipuram, Ekambareswarar Temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is one of the Pancha Bhoota Stalas, representing the element of Earth (Prithvi). The temple complex is vast, featuring towering gopurams and a sacred mango tree believed to be thousands of years old.
- Varadharaja Perumal Temple: Situated in Kanchipuram, this ancient temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu in his Varadharaja Perumal avatar. It is one of the Divya Desams, revered by devotees for its elaborate architecture, intricate sculptures, and spiritual significance.
- Kanchi Kailasanathar Temple: This remarkable temple is one of the oldest structures in Kanchipuram, dedicated to Lord Shiva as Kailasanathar. Built in the 8th century by the Pallava dynasty, it is renowned for its Dravidian architecture, intricate carvings, and tranquil ambiance.
- Devarajaswami Temple: Located in Kanchipuram, this temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu in his Varadaraja Perumal form. It is renowned for its stunning architecture, particularly its majestic gopuram and intricate sculptures, which attract devotees and tourists alike.
- You can stop at a local restaurant for lunch at your own expense.
- Next up, you will be driven to Mahabalipuram, which is a 2-hour travel time from Kanchipuram. where you can visit:
- Arjuna's Penance: Also known as "Descent of the Ganges," this UNESCO World Heritage Site in Mahabalipuram depicts a massive bas-relief sculpture carved on two giant boulders. The sculpture portrays various scenes from Hindu mythology, including the penance of Arjuna, as described in the Mahabharata, and the descent of the Ganges.
- Five Rathas: These monolithic rock-cut temples in Mahabalipuram are named after the Pandava brothers from the Mahabharata and are believed to have been carved in the 7th century. Each of the five rathas (chariots) is sculpted from a single large granite rock and represents different architectural styles, showcasing the craftsmanship of ancient India.
- Tiger Cave: Situated near Mahabalipuram, the Tiger Cave is an ancient rock-cut cave temple believed to have been built during the Pallava period. Despite their name, the carvings primarily feature elephants, with only one tiger sculpture present. The site is known for its intricate detailing and serene surroundings, making it a peaceful retreat for visitors.
- Take a visit to the Shore Temple in Mahabalipuram, a UNESCO World Heritage Site dedicated to Lord Shiva. It stands on the shores of the Bay of Bengal, showcasing stunning stone carvings and attracting visitors worldwide.
- If time permits, you can also visit Dakshinachitra on the way back. a unique heritage museum that showcases the diverse cultures of South India. Visitors can explore traditional architecture, crafts, and lifestyle exhibits representing various states of the region, offering an immersive experience of the rich heritage of southern India.
- You will start to be driven back to Chennai and will be dropped off where we started from.
- This is not a guided tour; the driver will not be the guide for the tour.
- This is an outstation tour; hence, the vehicle cannot be used for the local city tour.
- All transportation using Private Air-conditioned Sedan Car or SUV.
- Pickup and drop-off in Chennai hotel or residence.
- Driver and fuel charges.
- The itinerary mentioned is a suggestion, you can add/skip places.
- 300 km of usage (Extra kilometre charges will be applicable after the limit, please refer Important Information Section for details).
Why book with TRODLY
- Best Price Guarantee
- Verified customer reviews that help you make the right decision.
- Qualified operators. All partner operators selected after rigorous system of checks.
- Free Cancellation on Most Trips
- Only Best Trips - Our team of travel experts bring uniquely local, safe, and exciting experiences to the community.
- 100% Secured Payments
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
We have two options Sedans & bigger SUVs. In Sedans we provide Suzuki Dzire, Toyota Etios mostly, sometimes it could be Nissan Sunny. In SUVs we provide Toyotta Innova, Mahindra Xylo, Suzuki Ertiga. You can request a particular model while booking in \'Special Request\' and we try to provide it however you can not pick and choose exact car models. We operate only AC vehicles and hatchbacks are not available.
Yes, all sightseeing tours need to be booked in advance. Tours often sell out so we suggest booking early to guarantee your desired tour day. Bookings are completely online and you can book on Website or Mobile app.
The itinerary mentioned on these private tours are a suggestion for your destination. You are free to skip or add other points. Let your personal driver know if you want to visit other places.
As this is a private tour, you are free to spend as much time you seem fit on each attraction. Some landmarks are more time-consuming than others and you can decide where to spend how much time. Just keep in mind the hourly usage included in your Tour, extra charges would apply if that limit is exceeded. Also night charges apply if you cross night time, please check Inclusions/Exclusions/Important Info for details.
You need to book online from this page. We accept only online bookings. Booking is confirmed instantly through SMS and Email. Driver & Cab details are sent on SMS/Email 3-6 hours before pick-up time.
If you wish to have an English driver who would drive you around the tour or drop you from one place to another, please mention the same in the Special Request section while booking. Any request would be taken into consideration and we will try arranging the same, although it\'s not a 100% Guarantee.
No these are purely sightseeing tours and we do not do provide stay/accommodation or do Hotel bookings on for you as part of these tours. For Multi-day sightseeing tours, you need to book your hotels yourself.
No. All our tours are private and exclusively for your family or group.
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point
₹ 5280 Per Vehicle
Get trip inspirations, offers and more.