Life in Spiti - Homestay Tour
6 Nights/7 Days
6 to 6 people
An immersive cultural road trip to the Spiti Valley and it's hidden gems.
Spiti Valley in Himachal Pradesh is one of the hitherto visited destinations in India. After years of restricted access to this magnificent landscape, the doors to Spiti are open fully. We provide this unique opportunity for you to travel to our world - a world within a world. We will take you to amazing citadels, artistic ancient monasteries, mesmerizing high altitude villages, beautiful lakes.
- Visit the "Moon Lake" - Chandratal and stay at camps
- Visit the famous "Key Monastery"
- Visit 800-year-old archaeological site in Dhankar
- Roadtrip from Spiti to Komic, the highest inhabited village in the world
- Experience hospitality in Spiti homestay
Day 1: Arrive in Manali and Drive to Kaza via Rohtang and Kunzum Pass
- Our drive for the trip starts from Manali, you are expected to report by 6:30 am at Manali HRTC bus stand. We have a long road journey to cover and driving during the day is recommended.
- The drive takes from Manali to Rohtang pass, amidst the lush greenery of Beas valley. You can see the hilly town of Manali disappearing in the valley as you reach up to Marhi our breakfast stop. Enjoy your paranthas and chai so high in mountains.
- The road further climbs up to one of the most popular mountain passes in India - Rohtang La. This same place will be covered under several feet of snow in winters closing the only road to Lahual. The landscape changes drastically, on the other side of Rohtang.
- After reaching Gramphu, the road diverts to Spiti valley. The road meanders through one of the true wildernesses of the Himalayan region as for next 100 Kms you see no permanent settlement. The road goes along the Chandra River up to Batal. A Dhaba famous for its owners - "Chacha Chachi Dhaba" will be your place for lunch.
- Post lunch head to Kaza on one of the most beautiful roads in the Himalayas. On the way stop at Kunzum La visit the Kunzum Mata temple for her blessings for the safe journey.
Day 2: Road trip from Kaza to Tabo
- Chaos Khor Gompa, a 1020 year monastery located in the quaint village of Tabo. The road lies on the west bank of Spiti river throughout the journey. The monastery is one of the most ornately decorated depicting the life of the Buddha Pantheon covering its entire walls. You can spend enough time here talking to the monks trying to understand what a thangka painting is. Tonight you'll experience the traditional hospitality of the Spiti.
Day 3: Tabo to Dhangkar to Lhalung
- Today we track back the road to Kaza till we reach Sichling village from here the road winds up to the Dhangkar monastery. "Dhang" means cliff and "Kar" means fort, the fort situated at the edge of a cliff. Dhangkar Gompa or monastery is one of the architectural masterpieces of the Buddhist yore. Built 800 years ago this is one of the endangered archaeological sites in the world.
- Experience the old world feeling of the Dhangkar monastery. An hour and a half hike takes you the beautiful Dhankar lake, spend little time exploring the place and return to Dhangkar village. We head to Lhalung village to see Serkhang Gompa - Golden Temple and stay at Traditional Homestays.
Day 4: Lhalung to Komic to Langza
- Today's roads are amongst the highest in the world at 4400 meters.
- The drive will take you to Komic, the highest permanently inhabited village in the world with a motorable road. Situated at 4580m Komic is a small village with 13 houses.
- Visit the Tangyud Gompa, the head gompa for the Sakya sect. The monastery is beautifully decorated from within.
- Continue on the high roads and return to Hikkim, the place with the highest post office in the world. You can write postcards and post it to your own address from here. Drive to the beautiful village of Langza, situated under the shadow of the Chau Chau Khang Nilda peak for overnight stay
Day 5: Langza to Key to Kibber to Kaza
- Today we will be visiting the iconic "Key Monastery". The entrance to the main shrine is like a maze. Spend time talking to the monks about the history of the place, enjoy the flavoured chai served by the monks.
- Drive to Kibber village to see the construction of the highest bridge in the world over the deep gorge between Kibber and Chicham.
- Return to Kaza by evening to buy souveniers.
Day 6: Kaza to Chandratal
- Today you'll be visiting the jewel lake, the moon lake - Chandratal. Situated at the beginning of the Chandra valley in Lahaul, Chandratal is one the most popular yet peaceful destinations in Indian Himalayas. The crystal clear waters of the lake reflects the mountains on its surface, if you happen to muster enough to venture to the lake at night, you'll be in for a treat as you see the milky way reflecting the waters.
Day 7: Chandratal to Manali
- Today we will drive back to Manali. Our trip ends after drop at Manali.
- Vehicle (Innova) fuel, driver and toll/parking charges for entire trip
- Accommodation on double sharing
- Meals during accommodation: breakfast and dinner
- Accommodation at Manali
- Tour Guide (Driver himself will act as a guide)
- Personal Expenses
- Lunch on all days
- Anything not specified in "Inclusions"
- Any Cost incurred due to change in itinerary because of roadblocks, landslides or any other factors beyond human control.
Spiti Valley is a high altitude area, certain precautions and rules have to be followed.
- We advise you to be sufficiently hydrated in the lead up to the tour.
- We strongly recommend to have a general medical checkup and consult your doctor before travelling to high altitude.
- A person with very high blood pressure and the heart-related issue should avoid travel to high altitude area.