Spiti Snow Leopard trail : Winter in Spiti 2019
Embark on a winter safari where snow leopard descends during winter.
- Expert regional guide.
- Jeep safari and hiking through the jungle.
- Traditional homestays for your comfortable stays.
Spiti Valley, a place described as "A World Within A World" by no other than Rudyard Kipling. In the depths of winter, this primaeval and harsh land is often cut off from the rest of the world, and the elusive wild cat descends from the high peaks & ridges into the valleys to hunt for Bharal (Blue Sheep), Ibex and livestock of native Spitian. Snow leopards are generally found in Kibbar wildlife Sanctuary and Pin Valley National park of Spiti valley. Snow leopard has been spotted by locals around Lippa - Asrang Sanctuary. This Snow leopard trail will take you to far far away into the incredibly beautiful regions of Himachal Pradesh, into the very heart of the Western Himalayas.
Shimla, Sarahan, Kalpa, Nako Lake, Tabo, Dhankar, Lalung, Ki, Kibber, Gete, Tashigang, Hikkim, Langza and Komic.
Day-1: Arrive in Shimla
- You will have to report at Shimla ISBT at any specified time as per the time slot.
- Post your arrival you will be received by our hosts and be taken to the guesthouse/homestay.
- You will be staying overnight in the homestay.
Day-2: Shimla - Kalpa (180 km | 9 - 10 hours)
- On the second day, you will be picked up from the homestay and be driven on a 4 Wheel Drive to Kalpa.
- Your journey to Kalpa will be of 180 kilometres and would take you about 9 to 10 hours to reach Kalpa.
- Post arrival in Kalpa, you will be staying overnight at a homestay.
Day-3: Kalpa - Nako - Tabo (7-8 hours)
- On the third day, you will begin your journey from Kalpa and you will be heading to Nako, it is a small village in the Kinnaur district.
- Nako is a village near the Indo China border. Nako Lake, which borders the village, is one of the main attractions there. Nako Monastery, dated to 1025, is located in the village as well as several other Buddhist Stupas.
- After you have explored Nako, you will be heading to Tabo, your whole journey will be of 7-8 hours.
- After your arrival in Tabo, you will be staying overnight in a homestay.
- Tabo is a small town on the banks of the Spiti River. The town surrounds a Buddhist monastery which, according to legend, is said to be over a thousand years old. The village is situated at an altitude of 10,760 ft/ 3,280 meters.
Day-4 Tabo - Kaza - Kibber (4-5 hours)
- On Day 4 you will be picked up from your homestay in Tabo and be driven to Kaza.
- Kaza is a high altitude cold desert having close similarities to the neighbouring Tibet and Ladakh regions in terms of terrain, climate, and the Buddhist culture. Kaza, situated along the Spiti River is the largest township and commercial centre of the valley.
- Post Kaza you will be driven to Kibber, Kibber is a village high in the Spiti valley and is home to a monastery and the Kibber Wildlife Sanctuary.
- You will be staying overnight in Kibber after your day's journey.
Days-5, 6, 7: Kibber / Chichim (In search of the Snow leopard)
- On these days you will be spending your time in Kibber or Chichim in search of the majestic snow leopard.
- You will be trekking on foot to get a glimpse of this beast.
- For these three days, accommodation for overnight stays will be arranged at well-maintained homestays.
- The number days for the sighting of the snow leopard might be flexible depending on the inputs from the local guide.
Day-8: Kibber - Key Monastery- Reckong Peo
- On the 8th day, you will be driven from Kibber to Key Monastery.
- Perched at an altitude of 4,166 metres above sea level, close to the Spiti River. It is the biggest monastery of Spiti Valley and a religious training centre for Lamas.
- Post the Key Monastery visit you will be driven to Reckong Peo.
- Reckong Peo is a place which is believed to be the abode of Gods. The town is serene and is famous for its apple orchards. It is inhabited by Kinnauri people and has a diverse culture even in today's modern era.
- You will be staying overnight in Reckong Peo in a homestay.
Day-9: Reckong Peo - Shimla
- On the ninth day, you will be driven from Reckong Peo to Shimla which will be a 7 hours drive.
- You will be dropped in Shimla city limits and you may proceed for the onwards journey.
- A 4 Wheel Drive vehicle and local driver vastly experienced in driving on icy roads for the entire safari
- Accommodation in hotels and homestays at twin sharing during the trip
- Any camping gear
- All vegetarian meals during the trip (breakfast, lunch, evening tea and dinner)
- Service of certified and expert tour guide
- Local guides from the region
- Transportation cost of 1 bag per participant
- Innner line permits for the participants
- All fuel / toll tax and parking charges etc.
Why book with TRODLY
- Best Price Guarantee
- Verified customer reviews that help you make the right decision.
- Qualified operators. All partner operators selected after rigorous system of checks.
- Free Cancellation on Most Trips
- Only Best Trips - Our team of travel experts bring uniquely local, safe, and exciting experiences to the community.
- 100% Secured Payments
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point
₹ 34490 Per Person