Chadar Trek 2022 - Standard Option
Chadar Trek or The Frozen River Trek is one of a kind trek, rightly named Chadar which means sheet (in Hindi). During the course of this 9-Day trek, 5 Days will on the frozen Zanskar River.
- Trek led experienced trek leaders and local support staff.
- Be a part of the exclusive trek that is only available for about 45 days in a year.
- For centuries this route was used as the trade route between India and Tibet.
- Part-Payment available, pay 25% to book your slot in the trek.
Got a query? Click on the "Chat" button above or call us at +91 9678314343
Available Trek Dates
- January - 7th, 9th, 10th, 13th, 15th, 16th, 19th, 22nd, 23rd, 25th, 28th, 31st
- February - 3rd, 6th, 9th
Chadar refers to the frozen lake with sheets of ice that forms over the Zanskar River. And it transforms itself from the fast and rapidly flowing river into a white coat of ice during winter. The river becomes frozen glass ice ranging from a bluish tinge to golden yellow when the sun touches the frozen river bed during the sunset. It will be a milky whitish frozen lake after dusk under the moonlight. This trekking journey is unique and magical to describe the experience.
The villages are connected to the Zanskar Valley which is deep in the mountains along with the chilling and frozen lake. This is the only route for transportation and trades for centuries to the villages in the valley. Ice is more stable in February for the proper roads.
Chadar Trek 2022 Itinerary:
Day 1: Arrival in Leh (11,400 ft.) | Stay at the Leh Guest House
- One of the highest airports in the world is Leh airport, once you arrive at the airport, you will step into the fresh air and the drastic drop in the temperature.
- Keep your warm clothes in handy as once you land the temperature difference is going to be a considerable amount.
- The town will be covered with snow and so people will be busy shedding it off their properties.
- Check in to the guesthouse reserved for you. Meet the team and rest for some time for the body to start acclimatizing.
- Later, you can take a walk to the Leh market where last minute shopping can be done.
- Some restaurants will be open as well for you to try some local food.
Day 2: Acclimatization walk in Leh
- The second day is reserved for acclimatization, you'll start our day early with a light walk around the Leh.
- You will start your walk towards Shanti Stupa, a sacred Buddhist stupa, from where you will get an opportunity to witness a beautiful view of the sunrise and a panoramic sight of the town of Leh.
- Stay hydrated as you spend your first day of the trek in Leh.
- You will be staying in the Leh guesthouse for the night.
Day 3: Medical check-up in Morning
- As per the Government mandate, it is now mandatory for participants to acquire medical certification before they undertake the Chadar trek.
- A clearance certificate is issued upon a medical check-up at the Sonam Narbu Hospital.
- You will get a certificate only when adequately fit and acclimatized for the trek. The health check-up camp is within 1-kilometre distance from the guesthouse, we suggest you walk till the camp for better acclimatization.
Day 4: Drive to Shingra Koma - Trek from Shingra Koma to Somo Paldar
- After you have relished warm breakfast served in the morning, you will start this epic journey by driving to Shingra Koma which is 65 km from Leh.
- This drive goes through bumpy roads and sharp bends are common on this route.
- You will have the majestic mountains and breathtaking views during the drive for the company as well.
- From Shingra Koma, your trek to Somo Paldar will start and it's a short trek to our campsite in Somo Paldar.
- Your Chadar trek expedition has technically started from here.
Day 5: Trek from Somo Paldar to Tibb Cave – (10,550 ft - 10,760 ft) | Trek 10 km - Overnight Camp stay
- After breakfast, you will start your trek to Tibb cave today.
- We will be crossing ravines and gorges on the way with the sun mostly hidden behind the high mountains.
- Once we're at Tibb, the large cave entrance will be unavoidable.
- In the journey, you will get to see the waterfalls from a higher view than the others.
- There is a big cave at Tibb, here you will be served butter tea and some refreshments.
- The group will camp here for the night.
Day 6: Tibb cave to Naerak camp – (10,760 ft - 11,150 ft) | Trek 12.5 km - Camp Stay
- You will be walking near the river you crossed.
- On this day of the trek, you will see the frozen waterfalls.
- Right next to the waterfall is a bridge across the river which is a part of the summer-time road from Zanskar to Leh.
- The Naerak village lies several feet above the river, a vigorous hour-long trek to the village.
- The camp is set up close to the river.
Day 7: Naerak to Tibb Cave - (11,150 ft - 10,760 ft.) | 12.5 km Trek - Camp Stay
- On Day 7 you will be heading back to the Tibb cave.
- The Zanskar River reacts to the slightest change of temperature, and constantly keeps repackaging itself.
- On the trek, you will meet a lot of locals wearing their traditional woollen Gonchas – some of them are the monks who hike from the Lingshed Monastery to Leh.
- The trekkers will be spending the night at Tibb.
Day 8: Tibb Cave to Shingra Koma - (10,760 ft - 10,550 ft.) & Drive to Leh | 15 km Trek - Camp Stay
- From Tibb, you go up to Gyalpo on Day 8. The walls of mountains from the sides of the river almost look like castle walls.
- The last day on the Chadar is today and the last chance to immerse in the pristine beauty of the frozen river.
- Once we reach Shingra Koma, we drive back to Leh and spend the night at the guesthouse.
Day 9: Return from Leh (Return Flight)
- As the memorable journey gets over, you will depart from Leh today.
- The Chadar trek will be a cherished memory for life.
- Expert trek leader.
- Support staff to carry the common luggage.
- Airport pick-up & drop charges (9:30 AM and 5:00 AM respectively). Airport transfers apart from mentioned timings will be Rs. 600 one way per person in Alto/similar.
- Guesthouse accommodation in Leh at triple/quad sharing basis on Day-1, Day-2, Day-3 & Day-8.
- Hot water in buckets during the stay in Leh guest house.
- Breakfast and Dinner when in Leh on Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day 8 and Day 9.
- Vegetarian meals during the trek - Rice pulao, potato, dal, local dishes, hot soups, eggs, bread, poha, noodles sweet, Maggi, pasta, tea, coffee, papad, milk, energy bars, dry fruits, juices etc.
- Tented accommodation in alpine tents during the trek at triple sharing basis.
- Sleeping bag (-35 degree compatible), camping mattress & tents.
- Common kitchen/dining tent and toilet tent during the trek.
- Local transportation as per the itinerary. ( Leh to Shingra Koma on Day 4 and Shingra Koma to Leh on Day 8)
- Facility to keep extra luggage safely in Leh when leaving for the trek.
Why book with TRODLY
- Best Price Guarantee
- Verified customer reviews that help you make the right decision.
- Qualified operators. All partner operators selected after rigorous system of checks.
- Free Cancellation on Most Trips
- Only Best Trips - Our team of travel experts bring uniquely local, safe, and exciting experiences to the community.
- 100% Secured Payments
- 75% refund if cancelled before 45 days
- 50% refund if cancelled before 30 days
- No refund after that
*Advance payment is non-refundable
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
The Chadar trek is categorized as a moderately difficult trek. The trail is relatively easy and very much doable by trekkers who have no prior trekking experience. The biggest challenge on Chadar Trek is cold in real low temperatures. Trekkers on Chadar Trek should keep themselves warm by layering, carry the right kind of clothing and follow all instructions given by the trek leaders and guides.
Meals will be provided while on trek. Our cooks will be serving the simple vegetarian nutritious veg hot meals for breakfast and dinner during the camping. Pack lunch will be provided during the trek. (Rice pulao, potato, dal, local dishes, hot soups, eggs, breads, poha, sweet, tea, milk, high energy bars, dry fruits, juices etc. is the regular menu).
Our operators take utmost care to ensure safety of customers during the trekking expeditions. However in the case of any unforeseen mishaps, operator or Trodly will not be liable for any injuries caused or for loss of life. All disputes rising due to the above are subject to the jurisdiction of the courts in New Delhi/Delhi only. All participants would be required to sign an Indemnity Form before the start of the program, without which they would not be allowed to take part in the trekking and expeditions.
An identification card (like driving license, voters ID card etc), along with a photocopy. A passport size photo. A medical certificate Format will be sent after confirmation. Disclaimer certificate. Format will be sent after confirmation.
Joining on day-2 of the itinerary is not possible anymore. As per the new safety mandate from the local authorities, a guest needs minimum 2 days of acclimatisation before the medical test on day-3. The arrival date is confirmed by the medical officials by checking the guest\'s flight boarding pass date.
This year it is a total of Rs. 5000 per person. The fee structure changes on yearly basis and for 2019, the charges are as below (all mandatory items): 1. Wildlife Department permits - Rs. 2200 per person for foreigners 2. Wildlife Department permits- Rs. 2000 per person for Indians 3. ALTOA will provide Adventure Insurance and Medical Check-up at Leh at Rs. 3000 per person
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point
₹ 18690 Per Person