Chadar Frozen River Trek 2019
Chadar Trek. The one of a kind trek and rightly named so. Chadar means sheet (in Hindi) and during the trek, you will literally be walking on a sheet of ice, the frozen Zanskar river.
- Trek on the frozen Zanskar river.
- Be a part the exclusive trek that is only available for about 45 days in a year.
- Camp under the open skies of the Ladakh region.
- For centuries this route was used as the trade route between India and Tibet.
Special Offer: Use Coupon Code CHADAR2000 on Trodly Mobile App to get over Rs. 2000 Cash Discount per person(Offer ends on 31st October 2018)
Chadar refers to the frozen lake with sheets of ice that forms over the Zanskar River. And it transforms itself from the fast and rapidly flowing river into a white coat of ice during winter. The river becomes frozen glass ice ranging from a bluish tinge to golden yellow when the sun touches the frozen river bed during the sunset. It will be a milky whitish frozen lake after dusk under the moonlight. This trek journey is unique and magical to describe the experience.
The villages are connected to the Zanskar Valley which is deep in the mountains along with the chilling and frozen lake. This is the only route for transportation and trades for centuries to the villages in the valley. Ice is more stable in February for the proper roads.
Available Batch Dates
- January: 4th, 7th, 10th, 13th, 16th, 19, 22nd, 25th, 28th & 31st
- February: 3rd, 6th, 9th and 12th.
Need to talk about the trek? Call us at 080 39658860
Day 1: Arrival in Leh (11,400 ft.) | Stay at the Leh guesthouse
- One of the highest airports in the world is Leh airport, once you arrive at the airport, you will step into the fresh air and the drastic drop in the temperature.
- Keep your warm clothes in handy as once you land the temperature difference is going to be a considerable amount.
- The town will be covered with snow and so people will be busy shedding it off their properties.
- Check in to the guesthouse reserved for you. Meet the team and rest for some time for the body to start acclimatising.
- Later, you can take a walk to the Leh market where last minute shopping can be done.
- Some restaurants will be open as well for you to try some local food.
Day 2: Acclimatisation walk in Leh
- Today is reserved for acclimatisation, we'll start our day early with a light walk around the Leh.
- We start our walk towards Shanti Stupa, a sacred Buddhist stupa, from where you will get an opportunity to witness a beautiful view of the sunrise and a panoramic sight of the town of Leh.
- Stay hydrated as you spend your first day of the trek in Leh.
- You will be staying in the Leh guesthouse for the night.
Day 3: Medical check-up at Sonam Narbu Hospital
- As per the Government mandate, it is now mandatory for participants to acquire medical certification before they undertake the Chadar trek.
- A clearance certificate is issued upon a medical check-up at the Sonam Narbu Hospital.
- One will get a certificate only when adequately fit and acclimatised for the trek.
Day 4: Drive to Shingra Koma - Trek from Shingra Koma to Somo Paldar
- After breakfast in the morning, we will start the journey by driving to Shingra Koma which is 65 km from Leh.
- This drive goes through bumpy roads and sharp bends are common on this route.
- You will have the majestic mountains and breathtaking views during the drive for the company as well.
- From Shingra Koma, our trek to Somo Paldar will start and it's a short trek to our campsite in Somo Paldar.
- Your Chadar trek expedition has technically started from here.
Day 5: Trek from Somo Paldar to Tibb Cave – (10,550 ft - 10,760 ft) | Trek 10 km - Overnight Camp stay
- After the breakfast, we start our trek to Tibb cave today.
- We will be crossing ravines and gorges on the way with the sun mostly hidden behind the high mountains.
- Once we're at Tibb, the large cave entrance will be unavoidable.
- In the journey, you will get to see the waterfalls from a higher view than the others.
- There is a big cave at Tibb, here you will be served butter tea and some refreshments.
- The group will camp here for the night.
Day 6: Tibb cave to Naerak camp – (10,760 ft - 11,150 ft) | Trek 12.5 km - Camp Stay
- Today you will be walking near the river you crossed.
- Today of the trek you will see the frozen waterfalls.
- Right next to the waterfall is a bridge across the river which is a part of the summer-time road from Zanskar to Leh.
- The Naerak village lies several feet above the river, a vigorous hour-long trek to the village.
- The camp is set up close to the river.
Day 7: Naerak to Tibb Cave - (11,150 ft - 10,760 ft.) | 12.5 km Trek - Camp Stay
- Today you will be heading back to the Tibb cave.
- The Zanskar River reacts to the slightest change of temperature, and constantly keeps repackaging itself.
- On the trek, you will meet a lot of locals wearing their traditional woollen Gonchas – some of them are the monks who hike from the Lingshed Monastery to Leh.
- The trekkers will be spending the night at Tibb.
Day 8: Tibb Cave to Shingra Koma - (10,760 ft - 10,550 ft.) & Drive to Leh | 15 km Trek - Camp Stay
- From Tibb, you go up to Gyalpo today. The walls of mountains from the sides of the river almost look like castle walls.
- The last day on the Chadar is today and the last chance to immerse in the pristine beauty of the frozen river.
- Once we reach Shingra Koma, we drive back to Leh and spend the night at the guesthouse.
Day 9: Return from Leh (Return Flight)
- As the memorable journey gets over, you will depart from Leh today.
- The Chadar trek will be a cherished memory for life.
- Tented accommodation during the trek at triple sharing.
- Guesthouse accommodation in Leh at triple/quad sharing on day-1 and day-8.
- All meals during the trek - Rice pulao, potato, dal, local dishes, hot soups, eggs, bread, poha, noodles sweet, Maggi, pasta, tea, coffee, papad, milk, energy bars, dry fruits, juices etc.
- Hot water and heating in Leh guest house.
- Sleeping bag (-35 degree compatible), camping mattress & tents.
- First aid medical kits and oxygen cylinder.
- Experienced trek guide and support staff for trekkers.
- Local transportation as per the itinerary.
- Gumboots & trekking poles (For all-inclusive option only).
- All permits - Environmental fees, local association fees (ALTOA & LAHDC) (For all-inclusive option only).
- Airport pick-up & drop (For all-inclusive option only).
- Any personal expenses.
- Insurance of any kind.
- Meals in Leh.
- Porter service for personal luggage.
- Anything not specified in inclusions above.
- Extra night stay at the Leh Guesthouse is available at Rs.1800 per person per night (Twin sharing basis without meals).
- Sightseeing/Taxi can be arranged on request.
- Tented accommodation will be provided on twin sharing basis to couples during the trek (Subject to availability)
- Single occupancy at Leh Guesthouse accommodation and tent accommodation during the trek at Rs. 8500 Flat charge (Add-on available during booking).
- Oxygen Cylinders (25 kg) and First Aid will be there during the trek. Rescue and medical team will be available on call in case of any exigencies.
Chadar Trek Guide to Prepare for the Trek
Trodly guide for Chadar Trek covers key aspects to help you know and prepare for the trek better.
Click to view the Trodly Chadar Trek Guide: https://www.trodly.com/blog/article/chadar-trek-ultimate-guide-to-walk-over-the-frozen-river
This guide covers the following:
- Fitness level requirements
- Food during the trek
- Toilet facilities
- Cloths for the trek
- Shoes for the trek & where to buy
- Avoiding AMS - Acute Mountain Sickness
- Emergency response
- Answers from an expert on common questions from trekkers
- 75% refund if cancelled before 45 days
- 50% refund if cancelled before 30 days
- No refund after that
Select from the list of add-ons to customize this activity
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
The Chadar trek is categorized as a moderately difficult trek. The trail is relatively easy and very much doable by trekkers who have no prior trekking experience. The biggest challenge on Chadar Trek is cold in real low temperatures. Trekkers on Chadar Trek should keep themselves warm by layering, carry the right kind of clothing and follow all instructions given by the trek leaders and guides.
131 travellers found this helpful
Meals will be provided while on trek. Our cooks will be serving the simple vegetarian nutritious veg hot meals for breakfast and dinner during the camping. Pack lunch will be provided during the trek. (Rice pulao, potato, dal, local dishes, hot soups, eggs, breads, poha, sweet, tea, milk, high energy bars, dry fruits, juices etc. is the regular menu).
2 travellers found this helpful
Our operators take utmost care to ensure safety of customers during the trekking expeditions. However in the case of any unforeseen mishaps, operator or Trodly will not be liable for any injuries caused or for loss of life. All disputes rising due to the above are subject to the jurisdiction of the courts in New Delhi/Delhi only. All participants would be required to sign an Indemnity Form before the start of the program, without which they would not be allowed to take part in the trekking and expeditions.
2 travellers found this helpful
An identification card (like driving license, voters ID card etc), along with a photocopy. A passport size photo. A medical certificate Format will be sent after confirmation. Disclaimer certificate. Format will be sent after confirmation.
2 travellers found this helpful
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point:
- Base Option: Leh Guesthouse
- All Inclusive Option: Leh Airport pick-up
- The contact details for the team in Leh is shared in the booking voucher.
- Address of the guesthouse is shared 1-week before the trek start date.
₹ 22490 Per Person