The Mountain of Lakes Trek 2020
The Phuta Saur trek, famously known as the "Mountain of Lakes" - is one of the lesser-known treks in the region. Locals claim that there are as many as 12 lakes scattered on this particular mountain.
- High altitude trek reaching up to 14,290 feet.
- Company of experienced mountain guides.
- A total trekking distance of 36 kilometers.
- A trek with a difficulty ranging from easy to moderate.
There are as many as 12 lakes scattered on this particular mountain. There are not very many people who would claim to have witnessed the mystique of these lakes, so far no living person has claimed to have seen all the lakes. Partly thanks for the snow, the trail is packed with snow all year round. The lakes are normally covered in mist but those who've seen the lakes have been left mesmerized.
As per the folklore, Futta Saur is the lake where rishi Jamdaagni performed an auspicious ritual. The trial for the trek start from the ancient village of Soil through the thick alpine forest. The terrain is rich in medicinal and exotic herbs. The air you breathe in is infused with the flora from the region and is rich enough to make some people light headed. During the season, you can spot locals digging out some rare medicinal herbs like Naag chhatri, Karu, Patish, Gugal, and wild Garlic, these herbs sell for a good amount in International markets. The trail throughout the trek is gorgeous with views of some distant peaks, rare flora and fauna and massive Oak trees. Two trees large enough to shelter 5+ four-men tents, a kitchen tent, a bonfire area with space for about 10 ponies to spend the night under.
The trail begins in Haripur, 14 km from Manali, meanders on Halaan Theli and finally leads on to Futta Saur which sits in the Pir Panjaal range of the Western Himalaya. We take pride in being the pioneers in this trek as we have traversed these trails many a time to explore. Walk this path least travelled with our experienced guides to see the wonder that is the Elusive Futta Saur – Mountain of lakes.
- Max. Altitude: 14,290 feet
- The starting point of trek: Haripur, Manali
- Difficulty level: Easy to moderate
- Total Trekking Distance: 36 km
- Average Daily Trekking: 6-7 hours
- Best Trekking Time: June to October
Day 1: Arrive at Basecamp - Camp 1 | 8,410 ft. - 30 minutes Drive - 5 hours Trek
- You will have to report at 7:30 am, please take the earliest bus from Delhi/Chandigarh.
- After your arrival in Manali and we will be happy to pick you up from Patlikulh bus stop (14-16 km before Manali bus station) to bring you to the base camp.
- The climbers who have not stayed overnight with us at the base camp, are welcome to join us for breakfast.
- A chat session with the team and the fellow climbers.
- Soon after you'll proceed to Soil, the oldest village in the Kullu Valley. A charming village in itself, the hike to Soil is easy and refreshing, good start to the day.
- After spending a little while in the village, you will proceed to Mindua.
- It's an easy hike to Guhad, the trail opens up to a vast expanse of meadows surrounded by forests of Kharshu, Walnut, Chestnut, Bhojpatra trees.
- Another 4 to 5 hours will lead you to Mindua.
- You will be pitching your tents here and camp overnight with some bonfire and dinner.
Day 2: Camp-1 to Camp-2 | 10,850 ft. - 5 hours Trek
- On the second day after a hearty breakfast, you'll start your ascent to camp-2.
- The trail runs through thick Oak forests and the pure oxygen almost hurts the lungs.
- The trail will lead you to Chowkigarh Nalla, a small stream. You'll cross the stream to enter the lush green meadow amidst a thick Oak forest.
- You will be camping here for the night.
Day 3: Camp-2 to Camp-3 | 12,580 ft. - 7 hours Trek
- On the third day after the dose of energy packed breakfast, you leave for camp-3.
- The trail meanders through thick forests of Birch, Rhododendron, and Juniper.
- This region is known for it it's various rare plants and herbs like Karu, Chora, Patish, Gugal, wild Garlic etc., which are known to have some high medicinal value.
Day 4: Camp-3 - Hike to the lakes and back to Camp-3 | 14,290 ft., 8 hours Trek
- After breakfast, you will trek for about 45 minutes to reach the first lake ‘Batarunaag Saur’. A short walk will bring us to one of the most ethereal lakes; ‘Vasukinaag Saur’.
- A short distance from here basks the elusive lake ‘Phuta Saur’ and ‘Mata Kotli Saur’.
- We have chosen to call them “Elusive” as they are almost always hidden in mist and give the illusion that they are just a stone’s throw away.
- The terrain here is a bit rocky and not very suitable for camping. So, your tents will remain pitched at Parkuni while we will trek to the lakes and back well in time for dinner and bonfire (if conditions permit).
- Turn into your sleeping bags and slide into a blissful sleep while atop the Mountain of Lakes.
Day 5: Camp-3 to Camp-1| 9,900 ft. - 6 hours
- On the third day unwind and chill with some breakfast at camp-3.
- From here, you retrace our step backward to reach the camp-1, you will be pitching your tent here for the night. The challenging part of the trek is over.
Day 6: Camp-1 to Base Camp in Haripur | 9,900 ft. - 6 hours
- On the final day, after breakfast, we will leave from camp-1 for the basecamp at Haripur.
- Upon reaching the Base Camp, unwind and celebrate with some hot lunch.
- You may relax at the Base Camp before we part ways here to meet soon for our next adventure.
- Take the bus back to Delhi from Manali at 5:00 pm to wrap up your tour.
- Insurance cover upto 6 lacs
- Pick up and drop from Patlikuhl bus stop in Manali
- Stay in 2/3 men tents during the trek
- All meals (vegetarian) during the trek (6 breakfast, 6 lunches, and 5 Dinners)
- Tenured qualified (rescue management/wilderness first responder) lead guide and qualified local assistant guide
- All camping staff - cook, helpers, etc.
- State of the art trekking and camping equipment (dining, sleeping, kitchen tents, sanitized sleeping bags, mats etc.
Why book with TRODLY
- Best Price Guarantee
- Verified customer reviews that help you make the right decision.
- Qualified operators. All partner operators selected after rigorous system of checks.
- Free Cancellation on Most Trips
- Only Best Trips - Our team of travel experts bring uniquely local, safe, and exciting experiences to the community.
- 100% Secured Payments
- Full refund if cancelled before* 30 days
- 75% refund if cancelled before 15 days
- 50% refund if cancelled before 7 days
- No refund after that
*Advance payment is non-refundable
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Some of our own trek leaders are qualified, experienced ladies. All treks are extremely safe for ladies and we have a lot of solo clients who are ladies.
4 travellers found this helpful
There are no doctors on the trek; however our trek leaders are experienced in first aid and basic medical protocols.
4 travellers found this helpful
Our thoroughly researched itineraries are designed to offer you access to some of the world\'s best-kept secrets. We have personally explored the destinations we offer with in-depth knowledge that goes towards making your experience more than worth your while. However, at times due factors beyond any one’s control, situations may arise which can pose a challenge to the safety and security of the group members. To minimize any negative impact, we subscribe strictly to “Safety Protocol” which is an intensive and comprehensive compilation of safety and security measures undertaken to ensure a seamless and safe experience for its guests. There are factors which are controllable and attention to them ensures lower risks and toned down consequences.
8 travellers found this helpful
You need to carry an original ID card and a photograph.
4 travellers found this helpful
Our trip will start from the base camp in Haripur, 14 km short of Manali. If you are travelling by Volvo bus, you are requested to de-board at the Patlikuhal bus stand and we will receive you from there and drive you to the base camp
3 travellers found this helpful
The water during the trip is fresh and it is recommended to carry your personal reusable water bottles and filters as well.
5 travellers found this helpful
₹ 15000 Per Person
Get trip inspirations, offers and more.