Hampta Pass Trek and Chandratal Lake
Considered as one of the easier treks in Himachal Pradesh, but the Hampta Pass will definitely leave you in awe of its beautiful setting and views. Scenic landscapes include green meadows, glacial valleys and a pass crossing that will give you goosebumps.
Connect Live with Us, click on the 'Chat' button or WhatsApp us - Click here
- A trek which is ideal for the first time trekkers.
- Trans-Himalayan trek to the beautiful Chandrataal - The moon lake.
- Verified information: All inclusions and details are verified by Trodly team.
- Available daily starting from 8th June till 7th Oct.
- Service of experienced mountain guides and well-maintained tents.
Hampta Pass is the most ideal trek for first-timers; it is not only easily accessible and easy to trek but is also simply breath-taking. You can start your trek from Manali at 14100 ft, this is convenient compared to starting from a remote village, and take around 5 days to complete this trek. You can cover such a variety of landscapes in this trek. It covers barren land, lush forests, open valleys, and lakes which makes it a visual treat, ideal for photography.
You can also add a day if you can at the Chandratal lake, which is known for its rare deep blue colour. The Hampta Pass connects the most beautiful Kullu with the Lahaul and Spiti district and therefore exposes you to their rich flora and fauna, rare Himalayan birds and beautiful meadows. Tourists from all over the world come to trek here cherish their soul and heart for an exhilarating experience.
Best months for the trek will be Mid-June onwards till October.
Day 1: Report at the Base Camp in Manali by 10:00 am
- The first day is reserved for a meet and greet, and orientation, after you reach the base camp the trek leader will take a small orientation session, covering information like packing, walking techniques.
- You will also be given general information about the trek and the route. You will stay overnight at the base camp.
Day 2: Drive from Manali at 8:00 am to Jobra then Trek to Chikka | 1 Hour Drive | 3-4 Hours Trek
- On the second day, you leave the base camp by 8 am. You will be carrying lunch and breakfast with you.
- The first leg of the day’s travel would include a jeep drive from Base Camp to Hampta Dam. The way that leads to Hampta Dam is lined with Maple, Pine, Walnut and Oak trees, making it refreshing and enjoyable.
- After reaching Hampta you will prepare to trek to Chikka, which is also our final destination for the day.
- It will take approximately 2 hours to reach this place, and it is also an easy stretch, crossing two wooden bridges and a small patch of forest. You will reach the campsite at Chikka and prepare for your stay overnight.
Day 3: Hike from Chikka to Bhalu Ka Ghera | 5 Hours Easy Ascent
- The third day of the trek is a gradual ascent. While Trekking, you will be able to see the spectacular Dhauladhar range in the background and Indrasan peak in front.
- The best part of today’s Trek that we have to cross two rivers one at the start just near to Chikka Campsite and other at Juara. We will have our packed lunch at Juara
- You will set up your camp at Balu ka Ghera and conduct an overnight stay.
Day 4: Trek from Bhalu ka Ghera to Shea Goru via Hampta Pass | 7-8 Hours Trek
- This is the most spectacular part of the trek as you cross the Hampta Pass and then descent to your campsite in Shea Goru.
- From Hampta Pass you can see the Indrasan Peak and its gigantic glacier.
- Today’s trek will take you approximately 8 hours to reach Shea Goru. The ascent on this part of the Hampta Pass Trek will be moderate.
Day 5: Trek from Shea Goru to Chattru & Drive to Chandrataal and Trek to Chandrataal Lake | 4 Hours Trek | Drive of 1 Hour
- This day you have an easy descent through the Hampta Valley. The massive mountains of the Pir Panjal and Spiti ranges dominate the entire landscape until the campsite at Chatru.
- Chatru is a confluence point of paths from Rohtang Pass, Hampta Pass and Spiti.
- From Chatru you will head to the Chandratal and camp at suitable place according to the conditions.
Day 6: Drive from Chandratal/Chatru to Manali via the Rohtang Pass | 7-8 Hours Drive
- In the morning after breakfast, you leave for Manali via the Rohtang Pass.
- Your wonderful experience of trekking in Himachal ends in Manali.
- Accommodation during Trek (Camping) on sharing basis as per group size
- Meals while on Trek (Veg)- Starts from Lunch on Day 1 to Lunch Day 6
- Charges of Permits
- Transport from Manali as per the Itinerary
- First aid medical kits
- Tents, Sleeping Bags
- Qualified and Experienced Guide and support staff
- Any expenses of personal nature like phone call etc
- Travel to and from Manali
- Extra food apart from mentioned above
- Anything not mentioned in the inclusions
Why book with TRODLY
- Best Price Guarantee
- Verified customer reviews that help you make the right decision.
- Qualified operators. All partner operators selected after rigorous system of checks.
- Free Cancellation on Most Trips
- Only Best Trips - Our team of travel experts bring uniquely local, safe, and exciting experiences to the community.
- 100% Secured Payments
- Personal porters may be arranged to carry your personal backpack or luggage
- Oxygen cylinders and first aid will be there during the trek. Rescue and medical team will be available on call at the base camp in case of any exigencies
- Tented accommodation will be provided on twin/triple/quad sharing basis as per the tent size while on the trek
- A medical certificate is mandatory for all the high altitude treks for more than 3 Days duration
- Meals will be provided while on the trek. Our cooks will be serving the simple vegetarian nutritious veg hot meals for breakfast and dinner during the camping. Pack lunch will be provided during the trek. (Rice pulao, potato, dal, local dishes, hot soups, eggs, bread, poha, sweet, tea, milk etc. is the regular trek menu)
- We have the right to change the itinerary during the time of trekking as per current situation like a strike, natural disaster, local union regulations.
- All participants will be responsible for the safety and security of their own luggage. We will not be at all responsible for the damage/missing / lost luggage. So carry a small daypack bags to carry all expensive things with you.
- Rucksacks, trekking poles, raincoats are available on rent subject to availability
- No denim or jeans – not suited for this trek.
- Snacks, colas, alcohol and personal food – No need to overburden yourself with food. Do not carry any disposable plastic bottles like (Bisleri, Aquafina), plastic wrapped/packaged items.
- Do not bring any non-bio degradable material.
- After packing, weigh your gear. It should be in the range of 8-10 kg – preferably on the lighter side. Anything heavier, you will need to iterate and remove what is not essential.
- Carry light and what is essential. As an example, toothpaste should be bought in small size (that can last you 10 days).
- Some general advice about clothing: To protect yourself from cold, dressing in layers is the mantra. Two T-shirts worn one over the other is warmer than a T-shirt that is thick. 3 T-shirts worn one over the other is as good as a full sweater. This is just a guideline. If you are prone to cold carry extra warm clothing.
- Full refund if cancelled before* 7 days
- 50% refund if cancelled before 3 days
- No refund after that
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
The reporting location in Pirni is 3.5 km from the Manali bus depot. Pirni is easily accessible by frequent auto rickshaws and shared cabs.
Manali is well connected with Delhi and Chandigarh. Best way to reach Kullu or Manali is via overnight bus from Delhi/Chandigarh. You can take semi-sleeper Volvo AC buses or normal sleeper buses. The bus journey take 11-13 hours to reach Kullu and a further 1 hour to reach Manali. Tickets should be booked online. We suggest you choose government run buses such as HPTDC and HRTC as they are seldom late and run as per schedule.
An expert qualified Trek leader is assigned to lead every trek. Along with support staff, guides, cooks and porters accompany you during the trek. Post booking all details including trip coordinator details are shared on booking voucher on email and app.
No, you do not need to buy any advanced snow shoes for this trek. All you require are a good pair of trekking shoes. You can opt for water resistant trekking shoes. Do carry along sufficient number of spare socks. Woolen socks are optional though.
You would need to withdraw any money you need before the start of the trek. ATM facilities are available throughout Kullu and Manali. But you will not find any ATM beyond these places.
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point
- Manali Bus Stand (Further reporting details are shared after booking confirmation)
- The operator details will be shared post-booking, you may get in touch with the operator for queries related to pick-up/meeting point
₹ 7100 Per Person
Similar Exciting Activities
Manali, Lahaul & Spiti
Also viewed by other travellers
Get trip inspirations, offers and more.