Kang Yatse-II Peak Expedition 2019
11-day summit expedition to Kang Yatse-II in Ladakh region, also known as a sibling of Stok Kangri. Kang Yatse-II offers an exposure to 6000+m attitude, the trail does through the magical silk route of Markha valley.
- Trek the challenging peak of Kang Yatse 2 (6240m)
- Witness the peaks of K2, Broad Peak and Gasherbrum Massif in the North and Nun, Kun and the Zanskar peaks in the west.
Kang Yatse 2 summit trek is classified as trekking summit. Being a serious trekker, Kang Yatse 2 can offer you the thrill of mountaineering and an altitude exposure beyond 6000m. And obviously, the way to reach the base camp is the magical silk route of Markha Valley. It takes you through some amazing valleys, some beautiful rivers and some really quaint villages that give a glimpse into the local life of people here. Kang Yatse has two summits, the lower western peak (Kang Yatze II) is easier (Alpine PD) and more frequently climbed, although lower at about 6200m. The higher eastern peak is the true summit (Kang Yatze I) although less frequently climbed as it is across a technically difficult knife-edge traverse.
- Day 1: Arrival at Leh
- Day 2: Acclimatization Day in Leh
- Day 3: Drive to Chilling and trek to Skiu (Approximately 3 hours drive & 4-5 hours trek)
- Day 4: Trek to Markha from Skui ( 7-8 hours trek)
- Day 5: Trek to Thachungtse from Markha (5-6 hours trek)
- Day 6: Trek to Nimaling from Thachungtse (4 hours trek)
- Day 7: Trek to basecamp from Nimaling (3 hours trek)
- Day 8: Rest and acclimatization day
- Day 9: Long trek from Base Camp – Kang Yatse II Summit – Base camp (Approximately 12 hours trek)
- Day 10: Trek from base camp to Chuskirmo (7-8 hours trek)
- Day 11: Trek to Chokdo and drive to Leh (2 hours trek & 4 hours drive)
Day 1: Arrival at Leh
- You are received at Leh airport by the time suggested by the host.
- From there, we pick you up and drop you to your hotel for rest and freshening up.
- You are free to spend the day finishing the last minute shopping and can also rent trekking equipment here.
- In the evening, gather for a briefing and orientation session for your upcoming trek.
- Meal and overnight stay in a hotel at Leh
Day 2: Acclimatization Day in Leh
- You are taken on a tour of monasteries with a guide after breakfast. This includes monasteries like Hemis, Thiksey, Sangam and Shey.
- Spend time exploring the surrounding attractions at Leh.
- Reach the hotel and rest for the day.
Day 3: Drive from Leh to Chilling and up to 5-hour trek to Skiu | 3 hours drive, 4-5 hours trek (Maximum Altitude: 11150 feet)
- Check out from the hotel in the morning after breakfast and start the drive to Chilling.
- Chilling is the starting point of the trek and it takes one and half hours to reach Chilling.
- A steep ascent is followed by gradual plains. Trek for 4-5 hours to reach the campsite at Skiu.
- Dinner and overnight camps at Skiu.
Day 4: Trek from Skiu to Markha valley via Chalak | 7-8 hours trek (Maximum Altitude: 12200 feet)
- Depart early breakfast as it is a long day of the trek.
- The trail is gradual ascent and plain making the walk relatively comfortable.
- On the way, you stop at Chalak village for a tea break and reach Markha valley by afternoon.
- After that, you are free to explore the valley and its local attractions like monastery and City Palace.
- Dinner and overnight stay in camps at Markha.
Day 5: Trek from Markha valley to Thachungtse via Umlung | 5-6 hours trek ( Maximum Altitude: 13400 feet)
- After a filling breakfast, leave the valley and start the trek to next campsite.
- On the way, stop at Umlung village for tea and some rest.
- After crossing Umlung, we can see Kang Yatse || peak and Tacha monastery.
- After trekking for 5-6 hours, we reach Thachungtse, a wide meadow with campsites and tea stalls in place.
- Dinner and overnight stay at Thachungtse.
Day 6: Trek from Thachungtse to Nimaling |4 hours trek ( Maximum Altitude: 15400 feet)
- Today is a relatively short day of trekking as you reach the destination in a few hours time.
- Along the way, mystic stones with prayer incantations are laid along the path.
- You can also see the Kang Yatse II peak more clearly now, along with the twin Tigu lakes set at its base and reflecting the peak.
- You arrive at Nimling, a vast meadow used as pasture land for sheep, mountain goat, and other local wildlife.
- Meal and overnight stay in camps at Nimaling
Day 7: Trek from Nimaling to Kang Yatse-II Base Camp | 3 hours trek (Maximum altitude: 16700 feet)
- Depart from the campsite after breakfast and it is a short trek of 3 hours to the next campsite.
- The trail ascends for a while before descending till we reach the river. It is advised to pace yourself so you don’t get tired.
- Dinner and overnight stay in camps at Base Camp
Day 8: Rest and acclimatization day
- Spend today acclimatizing to the gain in altitude.
- We will also be issuing climbing equipment and providing instruction on how to use them properly.
- There will be a briefing session regarding the summit attempt before settling in for the night.
- Dinner and stay in camps at Base camp
Day 9: Trek from base camp to Kang Yatse II Summit and descend back to base camp | 12 hours trek (Maximum Altitude: 20500 feet)
- Start the day early at midnight, as it is going to be a long day and reach the summit by dawn.
- The trek is a tiring one, with rocky terrain, moraine, scree and snow-covered ridges as we approach the summit.
- Head back to camp and reach by late noon. After lunch, guests are free to rest and relax for the rest of the day after this gruelling trek.
- Meal and overnight stay in camps at base camp
Day 10: Trek from base camp to Chuskirmo via Kongmaru La | 7-8 hours trek ( Maximum Altitude: 17100 feet)
- After our successful summit attempt, we head back today towards Chuskirmo.
- The trail leads us through the Kongmaru Pass, which sports stunning views of Mount K2, the second highest mountain in the world.
- Move down a steep descend through rocky terrain to reach our campsite at Chuskirmo.
- Meal and overnight stay in camps at Chuskirmo
Day 11: Trek from Chuskirmo to Chokdo and a 4-hour drive to Leh | 2 hours trek, 4 hours drive (Maximum Altitude: 12100 feet)
- After breakfast, descend almost 5000 feet until we reach Chokdo.
- From here, our vehicles will pick you up and drive you to Leh, visiting Hemis Monastery along the way.
- We part ways here after we drop you at the airport to end the trek.
- All accommodation in guesthouses/hotels and camps as per the itinerary.
- All meals during the trek.
- High-quality technical climbing equipment - Snowshoes, crampon, gators, ice axe, ropes, carabiners etc.
- Sub-zero temperature sleeping bags, tents and tent mats.
- Certified expedition leader, assistant guides and support staff.
- All basic first aid equipment and services (first aid kit, oxygen cylinder, stretcher).
- Transportation in local vehicles as per the itinerary.
- Pick up and drop off from Leh Airport on first and last day of the trip.
Why book with TRODLY
- Best Price Guarantee
- Verified customer reviews that help you make the right decision.
- Qualified operators. All partner operators selected after rigorous system of checks.
- Free Cancellation on Most Trips
- Only Best Trips - Our team of travel experts bring uniquely local, safe, and exciting experiences to the community.
- 100% Secured Payments
- Full refund if cancelled before* 30 days
- 50% refund if cancelled before 7 days
- No refund after that
*Advance payment is non-refundable
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point
₹ 65000 Per Person