Bhaba Pass Trek from Shimla
This is the famous Shepherd's trail between the lush green Kinnaur Valley and the arid landscape of Spiti Valley. Come take a moderately challenging trek from Shimla.
- Trek to the Bhaba Pass which is perched at a great altitude of 4875 metres.
- Superior quality tents and mesmerizingly beautiful camping locations.
- All inclusive prices: All the costs of permits, accommodation arrangements and meals are included in the pricing.
- Company of an experienced trek guide.
The trek starts from Kafnu of Kinnaur valley, which is picture perfect with lush green landscapes, inviting meadows, gushing streams and beautiful valleys. This region is as famous for its beauty as it is for its apples. After a couple of days, you get to the top of Bhabha pass at 4875 metres (with some difficulty) and will be rewarded by expansive views of the surrounding valleys. The thrill of reaching such a height is immense and something you will surely carry back. From here you descend and walk through some hidden jewels in the Spiti valley. Spiti valley is in every sense as beautiful, if not more than its famous neighbour, Ladakh.
Day 1: Arrive in Shimla and drive to Kafnu | Drive 8-9 Hours
- You will have to report in Mall Road, Shimla by 6:00 or 6:30 AM where you will meet your guide.
- Post a short meet and greet, you will be driven to Kafnu, with the gorges of the Satluj River on our left. Kafnu is about 205 KM and takes approximately six and a half hours to reach.
- The drive will take you to the main town of Wangtoo, where you cross a bridge and drive further to Kafnu, the last village in the Kinnaur Valley and the starting point of your trek. You will be having your lunch en route.
- Arrive at Kafnu and relax for a while before you pitch camps next to a beautiful lake for an overnight stay.
Day 2: Trek from Kafnu to Mulling (3150 metres) | 6 hours trek
- On day 2, after breakfast, you set out on the beautiful trail leading to the Bhabha Pass.
- You walk through apple orchards initially and then through a nicely wooded area with a well-marked trail. The gradient is moderate and it would take you about 6 hours to reach the meadows of Mulling.
- Upon reaching Mulling you will surely wonder how other places on the trek are prettier than this and also you will get a feeling of why to trek any further.
- You will be camping at this beautiful destination overnight.
Day 3: Trek from Mulling to Phustirang (3950 metres) | 5-6 hours trek
- On the third day, start your day after a hot served breakfast.
- Start the trek from Mulling to Phustirang, it’s the base of the Bhaba Pass.
- You walk ahead to the intersection of two valleys and make an almost U-turn into the Bhaba Valley and walk up gradually on a narrow path with the glacial stream on your right to the base of the pass.
- You will start seeing glaciers and ice and snowy peaks as you near the base of the Pass. This is the trail of the Gaddi shepherds and you'll meet quite a few on the way manning huge flocks of sheep and goat.
- A little above the campsite is a big grazing ground with horses and sheep loitering the countryside. There is a lot of silt in the river and it, therefore, splits into a lot of smaller channels.
- You can go around for a short walk above the campsite for exploration and to help in acclimatization.
- Pitch the tents here and you will be staying overnight at the camp.
Day 4: Trek from Phustirang to Bhaba Pass (4875 metres) and to Balder (3970 metres) | Trek 8 Hours
- On the 4th day, you start the day climbing up on the trail leading to the pass.
- Walk over boulders, moraine, scree and rough terrain with no proper path to cross the Bhaba Pass (4875 metres) from the lush green Kinnaur Valley into the Arid, dry Spiti Valley.
- On a bright and sunny day, this walk is amazing affording excellent views of the mountains in the Pin Valley. You are very likely to find a lot of snow and ice at the pass.
- Sometimes, you may also be accompanied by the shepherds and their big flocks of sheep. After crossing the pass it is a steep descent all the way to Bara Balder, the camping place for Gaddi shepherds and yak herders.
- You will be camping overnight in Balder.
Day 5: Trek from Balder to Mudh (3760 metres) and Drive to Kaza | Trek 4-5 Hours
- It is a pleasant walk to reach Mudh. The gradient is gentle and landscape awe-inspiring.
- There are purple coloured mountains, Pin river flowing by and miles of open space all around conjuring a beautiful picture.
- Trek for 4-5 hours to reach Mudh and spend a couple of hours exploring the quaint village of Mudh.
- Take a drive to Kaza which is about 50 KM and on reaching Kaza you check-in to a hotel and enjoy a much deserved hot shower.
- Have a hot served dinner and you will be staying overnight at the hotel.
Day 6: Kaza rest day
- The sixth day will be a rest day in Kaza.
- You will visit the most important Key Monastery and Danker monastery and the village Kibber.
- Overnight stay at the hotel in Kaza.
Day 7: Drive from Kaza to Manali via Kuzum La Paas | Drive 5-6 Hours
- On the last day, after breakfast, you will be driven from Kaza to Manali, via Kunzum La Pass (4460 metres) and then the famous Rohtang Pass (3985 metres).
- Manali is about 200 KM from Kaza and might take approximately 5-6 hours to reach.
- Reach Manali and bid a farewell to the most adventurous trek.
- All transportation charges as per the itinerary (by Non-air-conditioned vehicle).
- Accommodation in tents and hotel on twin sharing basis.
- All vegetarian meals starting from Breakfast on Day 1 to Lunch on Day 7.
- Sanctuary fee / permits wherever applicable.
- Service of a knowledgeable guide.
- All trekking arrangements - an experienced team of guides, camp staff, cook, etc.
- Porters for personal baggage up to 12 KG.
Why book with TRODLY
- Best Price Guarantee
- Verified customer reviews that help you make the right decision.
- Qualified operators. All partner operators selected after rigorous system of checks.
- Free Cancellation on Most Trips
- Only Best Trips - Our team of travel experts bring uniquely local, safe, and exciting experiences to the community.
- 100% Secured Payments
- Full refund if cancelled before* 7 days
- 50% refund if cancelled before 3 days
- No refund after that
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point
₹ 33500 Per Person
Get trip inspirations, offers and more.