Situated in the shadow of the mighty Swargarohini peak, Har-ki-Doon is a cradle-shaped valley in Uttarkashi district of Uttarakhand. The trek to Har-ki-Doon passes through alpine forests of pine, oak, deodar and Bhojpatra along with many varieties of fauna. It is a treat for nature lovers and bird watchers alike to explore this valley surrounded by Swargarohini, Jaundhar glacier and the BandarPunch massif. On the way, you will get to experience the lifestyle of the Garhwal shepherds and villagers in some of the remotest parts of Uttarakhand
- Duration: 7 days
- Grade: Easy to Moderate
- Max Altitude: 3600m
- Starts from: Sankri, Uttrakhand
- Ends at: Sankri, Uttrakhand
- Trek Route: Sankri - Taluka - Osla - Har ki Doon
- Gangahad - Taluka - Sankri
Day 1: Drive from Dehradun to Sankri (8 to 10 hours)
The trek starts from Sankri which is an 8-10 hour drive from Dehradun. The long and winding journey takes us deep inside the Garhwal Himalayas. The last hour of the drive is a thrilling climb up from the Mori, on the banks of the Tons river to the cool climes of Sankri, nestled high up in the mountains. The long journey demands a good rest before we commence our trek the next day. A comfortable guest house is where we retire for the night.
Day 2: Drive from Sankri to Taluka village (45 minutes), Trek to Osla (5 to 6 hours)
We start with a drive to Taluka which is 14 kms. from Sankri further ahead on the unpaved road. From Taluka, the trek starts with a descent on the left side of the valley adjoining the river. After crossing a small stream, we continue climbing up towards the village of Ganghad where we break for lunch. We continue our journey along the river to reach the small settlement of Seema. Crossing the bridge to the other side, a steep climb of one hour takes us to the village of Osla. We camp in tents today and soak in the natural beauty of the Govind Pashu Vihar National Park and Wildlife Sanctuary.
Day 3: Trek from Osla to Har-ki-Doon (5 to 6 hours)
The day's trek starts with a gradual hike on the right side of the valley. We cross the staircase agricultural fields of Osla and continue up the valley. A few small climbs bring us to the base of Kalkatti Dhar. This steep ridge is the last major climb and from here on, it is a gradual up and down onto the meadows of Har-ki-Dun. The Swargarohini peak and the Jaundhar glacier are tantalizingly close and invite the trekkers to explore further, which is exactly on the cards for the next day.
Day 4: Explore Har-ki-Doon valley and Jaundhar Glacier/Hatt Valley
As anticipated, exploring the valley and the meadows is on the agenda today. We can trek up to Jaundhar Glacier (4200m, 4 kms, 3 hours) and enjoy the views of the mighty mountains towering above the valley. Swargrohini, with its massive presence over the valley offers amazing sights all along the trail to the glacier. It promises to be a relaxing day with plenty of time to amble around and photograph the panoramas on display. We retreat back to our camp for the night.
Day 5: Trek from Har-ki-Doon to Gangahad (4 to 5 hours)
The trek back is an easy walk back along the same trail towards the Gangahad village. A gentle descent towards the village is covered at an easy pace exploring and enjoying the beautiful sights within the Govind National Park.
Day 6: Trek from Gangahad to Taluka village, Drive to Sankri (4 to 5 hours)
A relaxed trek back to Taluka, during which we enjoy crossing over the gentle slopes navigated a few days earlier. We drive back to Sankri and move into our guest house rooms. A leisurely evening awaits, to be spent in the company of fellow trekkers reminiscing vivid tales from the trek and the close encounter with an enchanting valley.
Day 7: Drive from Sankri to Dehradun
Enjoy a leisurely drive back from Sankri to Dehradun.
- Transfer by vehicle between Dehradun and Sankri
- Good quality tents, sleeping bags, carry mats and crampons (if and where required). Tented accommodation will be on double / triple sharing basis.
- Safety equipment – first aid kit, stretcher, pulsoximeter, portable oxygen cylinders (where required, for use in case of emergencies only)
- All vegetarian meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner on all trek days) for the trek duration (from Aru onwards till Sumbal)
- WildBoots trek leader, guide, cook and camp helpers and horses / mules / porters as may be required for carrying the equipment
- Guest house accommodation at Sankri
- Service taxes, permits, fees and other charges imposed by local authorities, national parks, etc.
Why book with TRODLY
- Best Price Guarantee
- Verified customer reviews that help you make the right decision.
- Qualified operators. All partner operators selected after rigorous system of checks.
- Free Cancellation on Most Trips
- Only Best Trips - Our team of travel experts bring uniquely local, safe, and exciting experiences to the community.
- 100% Secured Payments
- Full refund if cancelled before* 7 days
- 50% refund if cancelled before 3 days
- No refund after that
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point
Get trip inspirations, offers and more.