Chandertaal to Surajtaal Trek
6 Nights/7 Days
Chandra Taal (meaning the Lake of the Moon), or Chandra Tal, is situated at an altitude of about 4,570 metres (14,994ft) in the Himalayas. Mountains of scree overlook the lake on one side, and a magnificent cirque presents a view on the other. The name of the lake originates from its crescent shape. This is one of the most popular and exciting trek of Lahul and Spiti Valleys. Both the Lakes are famous for their beauty, migratory birds, fish, alpine meadows, glaciers and serene pollution free environment
Suraj Tal or Suraj Tal Lake also called Surya taal, is a sacred body of water, literally means the Lake of the Sun God, and lies just below the Bara-lacha-la pass (4,890m) 8 km in length in the Lahaul and Spiti valley of Himachal Pradesh state in India and is the third highest lake in India, and the 21st-highest in the world. Suraj Tal Lake is the source of Bhaga River which joins the Chandra River downstream at Tandi to form the Chandrabhaga River in Himachal Pradesh territory, and as it enters Jammu and Kashmir it is renamed as the Chenab River. The Bhaga River (a tributary of the Chandrabhaga or Chenab) originates from Surya taal. The other major tributary of the Chandrabhaga, the Chandra originates from the glacier close to the Chander Tal lake in the Spiti district.
Day 00: Arrive in Manali – dA Base Haripur (12 – 14 hrs.)
The participants will de-board the Bus at ‘Patlikuhl’, 14 kms short of New Manali Bus stand. From this pick-up point, the guests will be driven to our Base in Haripur. Unwind at our base located in an orchard in Haripur. After breakfast explore Naggar/ Manali. Return back at base to chat with the team over bonfire and dinner.
Day 01: Manali – Batal (Karcha) - 3,960m
A long journey by road from dA base Haripur across Rohtang Pass to Batal via Gramphu, Chatru and Chota Dara ends up at Batal for a comfortable over night’s stay. The road from Gramphu village ascents along the scenic river Chandra offering a magnificent view of Bara Shigri glacies across the river upto Batal situated at the foot of Kunzum Pass the gateway to Spiti Valley.
Day 02: Batal – Chander Tal Lake (Chhochikma) 4,270m
A long beautiful trek of 16kms along the river is steep gradient initially but gradually levels down near the lake. It takes about 6/7Hrs. Crystal clear water calm and serene surroundings and alpine meadows. A walk around the lake is extremely refreshing.
Day 03: Chander Tal – Topko Yongma
Locally, Topko means river and Yongma means upper. Following the river Chandra on a moderate gradient with a gradual ascent, the trek traverses through beautiful landscapes. After crossing the stream the trek leads to Topko Yongma camping ground by noon thus giving the trekker much needed rest for a day.
Day 04: Topko Yongma – Topko Gongma
It is a fairly easy trek along the river Chandra with slightly gradual ascent. It is quite a comfortable trek running through picturesque surroundings offering superb and magnificent view of snow clad Mulkila Range. On the way one comes across awesome hanging glaciers and small water-falls almost in all directions.
Day 05: Topko Gongma – Base of Baralacha Pass
It is yet another comfortable trek with a mild gradient offering spectacular view of the mountain range with glistening snow clad peaks. Baralacha pass is very windy and the valley is quite open. Camping site is located immediately below the pass
Day 06: Base of Baralacha Pass – Suraj Tal
A short uphill climb leads to the highest point of this trekking route at Baralacha Pass. The salient feature this pass is that it is very wide and 8Kms long having artic landscapes. It is pass with crossroads meeting at its summit whereby one can go to Leh (Ladakh), Zanskar Valley or Lahul Valley. The Manali Leh National Highway cuts through this twin pass.
After a short stopover on this windy pass, the descent to Suraj Tal camping is quite close. Suraj Tal is yet another beautiful lake fed by numerous hanging glaciers and is a favorite of grazers.
Day 07: Suraj Tal – Manali
The National Highway is close to Suraj Tal and one can return to Manali by road via Keylong (Lahul Valley).
**Guests who are travelling the next day are welcome to stay the night at no extra cost. Relax at the base camp or go angling (some nice spots near our base) the next day, before we part ways here to meet soon for our next adventure.
- 2 nights stay at ‘dA Base’ located in an orchard in Haripur, Manali.
- Pick up and drop from Patlikuhl bus stand, Manali
- Stay in 2-3 men tents during trek.
- All meals during the trek (nutritious freshly cooked vegetarian)
- Services of experienced MOI/ BMC qualified lead guide and qualified assistant guide
- Kitchen equipment, cook and helper
- All the Camping arrangements
- Porterage – pony/porter for your personal belongings (in the luxury package)
- Wildlife/ environmental permits and other permits & levies.
- All transportation as per itinerary in local cars and jeeps
- ‘Leave No Traces’ protocol charges.
- Guaranteed amazing Himalayan experiential adventure holiday.
- Cost of travel to and from Manali from your city
- Cost of any form of insurance (Personal/Baggage/Medical)
- Cost of rescue, evacuation, hospitalization, etc.
- Any expenses of purely personal nature like laundry, phone/Fax calls, tips to drivers, guides, any beverages.
- Any expenses that arise due to change in itinerary and increase in no. of days because of natural forces like landslides, weather, roadblocks, flight cancellations, sickness etc.
- Nominal cost for bonfire, barbeque and all meals at Mountaineerz base in Haripur (choice of veg/ non-veg).
- Cost of any optional activity we offer, like paragliding, angling, rafting etc.
- porterage @INR. 300 per day in case alpine style trekkers need porter/pony
Max Altitude: 4270m
- We suggest guests arrive at our base in Haripur, 14 kms from Manali on the Naggar road, the night before the start of the trek.
- All guests are welcome to stay with compliments at Mountaineerz Base in Haripur, Manali in rooms on sharing basis. Unwind, relax, go paragliding, rafting or angling and later interact with the team over BBQ and bonfire (**) before commencing the trek next morning and also on the day of return.
- Stay in Manali can be upgraded to 4-5* hotel/ cottage on prior notice. Stay and meals cost as applicable.
- If coming straight to our base in Haripur get down at Patlikuhl bus stand, 14 km short of New Manali bus stand.
- Wear shoes and clothes you are comfortable in and do not forget waterproof jackets and warm clothing.
- Soak up the atmosphere – close your eyes and take in the sights and sounds as you explore and observe.
- Do not litter the environment. Polythene and plastics are non-biodegradable and unhealthy for the environment and must not be littered or burned and should be carried back.
- Adventure Gear List:
Woollen cap and woollen gloves, thermal under-garments, warm sweater, woollen trousers / thick track pants for trekking, woollen socks, rain gear (jacket, trousers/ parkha), warm jacket, torch, full sleeves t – shirts, sun block lotion, chap-stick (lip salve), good hiking (preferably waterproof) shoes with ankle support, gaiters, camera, films, battery backup etc. one duffel bag for personal items (sky bags etc. will not be accepted to be carried by horse– not more than 10 kg strictly), one knapsack for item of daily use (to be carried by you), personal medicine
THE MOUNTAINEERZ GUARANTEE
With our every escapade we bring you closer to the best of adventure travel. Mountaineerz brings you an experience that encompasses the quiet and the wild, the divine, the exotic and the spiritual side of “The Valley of The Gods.”
UNFORGETTABLE TAILOR MADE TRIPS FOR THE DISCERNING CLIENT
What we offer is specific – unforgettable trekking & hiking vacations – but our focus is broad in terms of destinations and trip styles. We have a tour that fits nearly anyone who loves the outdoors & breathtaking landscapes.
And, we see our mission as creating personalized experience and getting you close to the people, the secret places and the magic moments that ordinary tourists simply don't get to see.
We are the masters at custom designing itineraries just to suit your specific needs! Regardless of what you’re looking for, it’s very likely we have a trip for you!
HERE ARE JUST A FEW BENEFITS OF ADVENTURE TRAVEL WITH MOUNTAINEERZ:
- A. EXCEPTIONAL CERTIFIED & EXPERIENCED GUIDES: THE FORMIDABLE MOUNTAINEERZ ARMY J
AND I SAY THIS WITH ABSOLUTE CONVICTION AND PRIDE
Mountaineerz is essentially a team of passionate, committed and competent mountain guides. We believe that the quality of your guide is the single most important factor that creates a truly fantastic experience on any outdoor adventure tour. Mountaineerz’ guides are truly extraordinary men and women have the ability to turn a great get-away into an unforgettable, inspiring – and sometimes truly life changing – adventure.
That being said, our absolute commitment is to hire and train the best guides in the industry. Our philosophy is that our guides, gear, food and logistics comprise our product, and the guides are the most important ingredient!
- B. FANTASTIC MEALS AND TOP OF THE LINE GEAR
To provide exceptional meals we customize our menus depending on the preferences of the group, and we never use freeze-dried backpacking meals – you will be well nourished and your tummies filled with high nutrition and high energy vegetarian meals during your treks.
Our tours are supported by kitchen facilities, chefs and helping staff to provide hygienic and freshly prepared meals at all times. All our cooking infrastructure is specially customized for outdoors and staff is experienced in preparing nutritious and tasty meals even with limited resources and at times in adverse conditions.
You can be assured of top-of-the-line, high quality and comfortable trekking and camping equipment.
- C. HIMALAYA IS OUR HOME
Our knowledge of the Indian Himalayas comes from living, working and experiencing the mountains first-hand, not from once-a-year trips. Capability to run trips in remote and difficult regions, Ensuring safety and comfort of guests in adverse conditions
- D. SAFETY IS OUR FIRST PRIORITY.
We perform rigorous safety checks on every location, sport, instructor, tour leader, hotel/ campsite and Transportation Company we use, provide immediate on-tour support and have an emergency contact line available 24/7.
- E. WE DO IT ALL, OURSELVES.
We do not farm our programs to sub-contractors. We do the planning; we do the execution – the logistics, the outfitting and the instruction ourselves which is also the secret why we are able to offer high quality journeys and people keep coming back to us. Our self-sufficiency and in-depth knowledge makes us unique allows us to maintain a very high quality of service
- F. 24/7 SUPPORT
Your dedicated personal Program Consultant will guide you through the entire tour planning process, and for clients, MSPL’s Customer Care staff and Doctor is available 24 hours a day.
We enjoy designing that perfect trip for you with the seasoned eye of a craftsman. And what is more… we have been doing this for quite some time now!
- G. CHAT WITH ANY OF OUR PAST GUESTS
People who have travelled with us once have always come back to us again and again and have also sent their friends to do many more trips with us. In short, we have built a very strong business based on word of mouth and have always allowed our work talk for us. (Let us know if you want to chat with any of our past guests and we will put you in touch with them)
- H. SPECTACULAR DESTINATIONS
When it comes to destinations, our goal is to provide amazing hiking experiences in the Himalayas’ most spectacular destinations. And we’re well on our way to meeting that goal! Our current destinations include Zanskar, Ladakh, Lahaul, Spiti, Kinnaur, Chamba, Dharamshala and Manali
- I. THOROUGHLY RESEARCHED ITINERARIES
Our thoroughly researched itineraries are designed to offer you access to some of the world's best-kept secrets. We have personally explored the destinations we offer with in-depth knowledge that goes towards making your experience more than worth your while.
- J. FLEXIBLE TRANSFER AND REFUND POLICY
When Murphy’s Law is at play in anybody’s life, things which have to go wrong will go wrong. L We absolutely understand that.
Hence, we believe in a relaxed and flexible transfer and refund policy.
- K. 10% DISCOUNT OFF ANY TRIP AFTER YOUR FIRST
When you hike with us you’ll receive a Lifetime Family Membership entitling you and your family to a 10% discount off any future Trekking trip.
We understand life can be unpredictable at times, and that plans can change.
- From confirmation up to 30 days prior to departure - 10% of the total amount payable would be charged
- Between 15 - 29 days – 50% would be refunded
- Less than 15 days prior to departure 100%.
In case of unforeseen weather conditions or government restrictions, certain activities may be cancelled and in such cases we will try our best to provide an alternate feasible activity. However no refund will be provided for the same. For last minute emergencies we offer future trip credits on a case by case basis.
- All programs are subject to change due to political reason, natural calamities, serious sickness, and special reasons.
- Please note that cancellation charges also apply to reductions in group size, not only for cancellations of entire bookings.
- Mountaineerz might be forced to change/modify the itinerary and also reserves the right to do so, due to unforeseen disruptions by natural forces. If any costs increase due to this change, the client would be requested to pay the additional amount in Manali.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Our thoroughly researched itineraries are designed to offer you access to some of the world\'s best-kept secrets. We have personally explored the destinations we offer with in-depth knowledge that goes towards making your experience more than worth your while. However, at times due factors beyond any one’s control, situations may arise which can pose a challenge to the safety and security of the group members. To minimize any negative impact, we subscribe strictly to “Safety Protocol” which is an intensive and comprehensive compilation of safety and security measures undertaken to ensure a seamless and safe experience for its guests. There are factors which are controllable and attention to them ensures lower risks and toned down consequences.
4 travellers found this helpful
Some of our own trek leaders are qualified, experienced ladies. All treks are extremely safe for ladies and we have a lot of solo clients who are ladies.
3 travellers found this helpful
You need to carry an original ID card and a photograph.
3 travellers found this helpful
There are no doctors on the trek; however our trek leaders are experienced in first aid and basic medical protocols.
2 travellers found this helpful
Our trip will start from the base camp in Haripur, 14 km short of Manali. If you are travelling by Volvo bus, you are requested to de-board at the Patlikuhal bus stand and we will receive you from there and drive you to the base camp
2 travellers found this helpful
The water during the trip is fresh and it is recommended to carry your personal reusable water bottles and filters as well.