Rural Escapade in Banavasi
Trippin Traveller takes you on a magical journey to Banavasi. Experience the magic of one of Karnataka’s oldest temples, chat with farmers, pay a visit to a pineapple factory, or just lounge by a campfire and trade stories.You sit on the steps, outside your guesthouse, and you soak it in. This is Banavasi. As yet untouched by the perils of modern tourism, the village is a gentle reminder of India’s rural hospitality and the true cultural traditions that bind this country together. The ancient capital of Karnataka, Banavasi’s Madhukeshwara Temple is the heart of the village, the center around which life has evolved over the centuries. Your payment will go directly to the development of the community and is important in understanding how rural tourism can benefit and sustain livelihoods.
- Ancient Madhukeshwara temple
- Picnic by the crumbling ruins and sunset by the lake
Day 1: On arrival at the guesthouse, rest and relax for a while. Soak in the surroundings. The guesthouse is modestly furnished with twin/double beds and an attached bathroom. Water is heated outside the old, traditional way – with firewood! Being a village, power cuts are common, and power supply may be intermittent.
- It is just a little village, but one full of charms. We haven’t planned a fixed itinerary for this, but more of a relaxed one. Take an early morning walk in the gentle sunshine. The key thing is to understand the world we are in. After a special breakfast, make your way to the poetic Pampa Vana. The place is isolated, but there is a stillness here that makes you believe that it was really the place for a great poet to reflect and write. Pampa Vana is a pristine biodiversity hotspot. Listen to the birds. Listen to the sound your own heart makes. Meditate. Or just be.
- We can then take a visit to see some pineapples. Huh? What? Well, Banavasi is famous for its pineapples and the pineapple factory here is wonderfully quirky.
- Have lunch in a local khanavali. These are local eateries, usually run by women and you will be providing a sustenance to their income.
- In the afternoon, we can pack a picnic to see the picturesque ruins of Gudnapur. The atmosphere is mellow and melancholic. Spend some time by Gudnapur lake for sunset. This is our favorite time of the day and the favorite place to view it from! A temple by the lake gives you just the right atmosphere as the serene waters of the lake welcome the last rays of the dying sun. The ruins of Gudnapur also remind you of the impermanence of it all.
- Let’s catch up on travel tales over a campfire in the night. The stars want to say hi to us too!
Was it a tiring day yesterday? Have a nourishing breakfast, complete with some kashaya or local tea. Sip on some locally produced soft drink.
- Visit Madhukeshwara Temple. This is the finale of your tour. This is what you must have come to see. The history of more than 1,000 years weighs down on you as you see this architectural marvel of the Kadamba dynasty. Walk with the priest as he proudly shows you through every little detail of this magnificent temple.
- In the afternoon, let’s take a stroll in the village. Visit the local artists, chat with them, and find out more about how ethnically diverse our rural culture is.
*Optional: You could also take part in community reading sessions for the children at the newly opened community center. We encourage you to come with a couple of children’s books if you would like to take part in this optional activity. No charges!
- 2 Breakfasts
- 2 Lunches
- 1 Dinner
- Rural walk
- Pineapple factory visit
- Gudnapur ruins
- Artist interaction
- Accommodation in simple rooms on a twin-sharing basis
Why book with TRODLY
- Best Price Guarantee
- Verified customer reviews that help you make the right decision.
- Qualified operators. All partner operators selected after rigorous system of checks.
- Free Cancellation on Most Trips
- Only Best Trips - Our team of travel experts bring uniquely local, safe, and exciting experiences to the community.
- 100% Secured Payments