- Living Root Bridges of Cherrapunji Information
- Top Things To Do in Living Root Bridges of Cherrapunji
- View Places on Living Root Bridges of Cherrapunji Map
- Places to Visit near Living Root Bridges of Cherrapunji
- Living Root Bridges of Cherrapunji Getaways
- Living Root Bridges of Cherrapunji Tours & Things To Do
Living Root Bridges Of Cherrapunji , Cherrapunjee
Khasi, Garo, Bengali, Nepali, Hindi & English
About Living Root Bridges of Cherrapunji
Cherrapunjee holds the title of the place that receives the highest rainfall in the world and also has the unique distinction of 'growing' bridges to cross the rivers and not 'building'. The Ficus elastica tree produces a series of secondary roots from top region of its trunk and can settle comfortably on top of big boulders along the riverbanks or sometimes even in the middle of the river. The khasi tribe living in Meghalaya have perfected the art of growing these trees called Living Root Bridges, to their advantage and nudging the extraordinarily strong roots to settle in a direction favorable to them. These bridges are found in Cherrapunjee (56 kms from Shillong) and Mawlynnong (92 kms from Shillong).
There are many trek routes around Cherrapunji, the most famous of them all is the "Double Decker Living Root" bridge in Nongriat village starting from Tyrna.