Guided Tour: Karla and Bhaja Caves from Mumbai
Get an early morning start at 7am when your private guide picks you up at your centrally located hotel in Mumbai. Travel for about three hours in an air-conditioned private vehicle to reach Karla around 10am. Once there, your guide leads you on a walk through the impressive site. Ascend 200 steep steps to reach the caves, which were excavated thousands of years ago from a hillside in the Western Ghats in Maharashtra. The rock-cut shrines were developed for Buddhist monks to use during the monsoons. They feature chaityas (prayer halls) with intricate carvings; the largest of the halls measures 148 feet (45 meters) and was created in the 1st century BC. After exploring the caves, take a break to purchase lunch at the restaurant of your choice. Then head to the Bhaja caves, another religious site near the Karla Caves that you discover on foot. At the end of a full day, drive back to your Mumbai hotel where your tour ends with hotel drop-off in the evening.
- Additional info Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A maximum of 3 people in Sedan and 5 people in SUV per booking.
- A dress code is required to enter places of worship and selected museums. No shorts or sleeveless tops allowed. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women. You may risk refused entry if you fail to comply with these dress requirements
- A moderate amount of walking is involved; comfortable walking shoes and sunglasses/sunscreen with hats or scarf for ladies are highly recommended
- Not recommended for participants with heart complaints or other serious medical conditions.
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point:
Your accommodation in Mumbai