Guided Tour: Karla and Bhaja Caves from Mumbai
Take a tour of the Karla and Bhaja Caves, explore one of the most iconic ancient pieces of architecture.
- Guided tour of the Karla and Bhaja caves from Mumbai.
- Company of an experienced chauffeur to drive you from Mumbai.
- Explore the ancient caves and learn about these marvels.
A mere two-hour drive from Mumbai lies a group of 22 rock cut caves known as the Karla and Bhaja caves. These caves date back to the 2nd century B.C. and the oldest Chaitya Buddhist caves that are still in existence. Buddhism was on a rise in that era and thus it was common for the monks to built caves in hilltops and live there. These Buddhist monks dedicated their lives to meditation and teachings of Buddha. Therefore there are prominent features like the prayer hall and the Stupa and other relief structure seen which give the traveler an insight into their life. The carvings on these walls show the use of wood for the first time in the Indian civilization and this is what makes the caves an important archeological artifact. These unique caves are located at a close proximity to the main village area, amidst the scenic waterfalls and lush greens. The Karla caves hold a magnificent Buddhist statue seated on a throne supported by a lion and surrounded by three elephants and the sides. This marvelous sculpture will leave the tourist in awe of the craftsmanship and creativity of the architects of the age.
- You will get an early morning start at 7 am when your private guide picks you up at your centrally located hotel in Mumbai.
- You will be traveling for about three hours in an air-conditioned private vehicle to reach Karla around 10am.
- Once there, your guide leads you on a walk through the impressive site.
- You will ascend 200 steep steps to reach the caves, which were excavated thousands of years ago from a hillside in the Western Ghats in Maharashtra.
- The rock-cut shrines were developed for Buddhist monks to use during the monsoons.
- They feature chaityas (prayer halls) with intricate carvings; the largest of the halls measures 148 feet (45 meters) and was created in the 1st century BC.
- After exploring the caves, you may take a break to have your lunch at the restaurant of your choice.
- Post lunch you will head to the Bhaja caves, another religious site near the Karla Caves that you discover on foot.
- At the end of a full day, drive back to your Mumbai hotel where your tour ends with a hotel drop-off in the evening.
- Hotel pickup and drop-off in Mumbai city limits
- Service of a professional guide
- Entrance fees to the monuments
- All parking & and highway tolls fees
Why book with TRODLY
- Best Price Guarantee
- Verified customer reviews that help you make the right decision.
- Qualified operators. All partner operators selected after rigorous system of checks.
- Free Cancellation on Most Trips
- Only Best Trips - Our team of travel experts bring uniquely local, safe, and exciting experiences to the community.
- 100% Secured Payments
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point
₹ 5000 Per Vehicle
Get trip inspirations, offers and more.