Guided Tour Of Mahabalipuram And Dakshin Chitra
Take a guided tour from Chennai to Mahabalipuram tour. Explore the rock-cut temples in Mahabalipuram and the heritage of South India in Dakshina Chitra.
- A guided tour of Dakshina Chitra.
- A guided walk through the temples of Mahabalipuram.
- Visit the immensely talented sculptors of Mahabalipuram.
- Enjoy the experiences of puppet shows, Kanchipuram silk saree weaving, basket weaving and pottery.
Mahabalipuram is a town which is located in a small strip of land between the Bay of Bengal and the Great salt lake, this South Indian in Tamil Nadu, is known for the temples which were built in the 7th and 8th centuries. These rock-cut temples in Mahabalipuram are now a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This town is located about 60 km from the capital city of Chennai.
Dakshina Chitra is a living history museum which showcases the heritage and culture of South India, it is situated in the South Indian state of Tamil Nadu. Dakshina Chitra is located 25 km from Chennai. Madras Craft Foundation were the ones who were behind the construction of this establishment, it was opened for public in the year of 1996.
- At 7:30 am our tour guide will meet you and provide the tour orientation. We take the East coast road from Chennai towards Mahabalipuram.
- At around 9 am we will arrive at the World Heritage Site of Mahabalipuram.
- Panch Rathas or the 5 chariots will be our first destination. These are rock-cut monolith temples structures dedicated to Draupadi and the 5 Pandavas from the epic Mahabharata.
- We visit Arjuna’s Penance, a 100 feet x 45 feet bas relief where an entire masterpiece from the Mahabharata epic has been carved.
- The next halt is at Krishna’s Butterball, a curious sight of a 5 meters diameter ball-shaped boulder which is perched precariously on a slope and seems to defy Newton’s laws of gravity!
- And also the immensely talented sculptors of Mahabalipuram.
- At 11:30 am, the magnificent Shore temple beckons us. This 8th-century structural temple is made of granite and served as a beacon for seafarers of the time.
- At 2 pm post lunch, we will be leaving Mahabalipuram and head out to Dakshin Chitra.
- At 2:30 pm, we will be spending the next hour at Dakshina Chitra which showcases art, craft and architecture of all four southern states of India. The experience comprises puppet shows, Kanchipuram silk saree weaving, basket weaving, pottery and a visit to heritage houses from all across South India.
- At around 5:30 pm you will be dropped back at your hotel in Chennai.
- All transportation in private air-conditioned vehicle
- Driver and fuel charges
- Any toll and parking charges
- Lunch during the tour.
- Services of a professional guide.
- Any entrance charges to the monuments.
- Pick up and drop to the hotel in Chennai.
Why book with TRODLY
- Best Price Guarantee
- Verified customer reviews that help you make the right decision.
- Qualified operators. All partner operators selected after rigorous system of checks.
- Free Cancellation on Most Trips
- Only Best Trips - Our team of travel experts bring uniquely local, safe, and exciting experiences to the community.
- 100% Secured Payments
- Full refund if cancelled before* 48 hour
- 50% refund if cancelled before 24 hour
- No refund after that
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point
₹ 4000 Per Person
Get trip inspirations, offers and more.