Stok Kangri Climb
One of the most popular trekking peak in the Indian Himalayas, the proximity to Leh brings a lot of people to its summit. A worthy challenge for the experienced trekker offering a great first time experience of high altitude. This trip has a short acclimatization trek built in.
Day 01: Fly Delhi to Leh (3500m)
Board the early morning flight from Delhi to Leh. It takes a little more than an hour to get to Leh, the capital of Ladakh. On a clear day the flight offers excellent views of the mighty Himalayas. Arrive at the hotel for welcome drinks followed by breakfast. Spend the rest of the day at leisure. Overnight Hotel.
Day 02: Monastery visits in Leh.
Spend half the day visiting Shey and Thiksey monasteries around Leh. Return to hotel for lunch and spend the day exploring the Leh market.
Day 03: Leh to Rumbak (3870m) 1hr 30mins drive and 4 to 5 hrs trek.
Drive to Zingchen (3390m) and trek to Rumbak. The drive goes past the Leh airstrip, the Spituk Gompa, crosses the river Indus and carries on as a bumpy jeep road till Zingchen. The trail follows the stream from here till the pastures at Rumbak which is a junction of a few trails. The campsite is a little more than an hour’s walk from here.
Day 04: Trek Rumbak to Mounkarmo (4250m) 6 to 7 hrs.
After an early morning breakfast we approach the base of the Stok La and start climbing the steep winding trail up to the pass. Stok La is at 4890m and this climb makes everyone feel the altitude. A steep descent from here brings us to the Stok valley and along the more popular route used to approach the mountain. We camp at a small campsite just short of the bigger campsite of Mounkarmo
Day 05: Trek Mounkarmo to Stok Kangri Base Camp (4975m) 3 to 4 hrs.
Now we follow the busy trail up to the Stok Kangri base camp. It’s a short day with gradual ascent to the campsite. The base camp is on a big meadow and is usually full of climbers from all parts of the world.
Day 06: Rest at the base camp and move to the High Camp (5315m) 2hrs walk.
Spend the first half of the day relaxing and recuperating before the big climb. Post lunch we move camp to a small campsite just before the glacier. It takes two hours to get here. Dinner and overnight camp.
Day 07: Early Climb to Stok Kangri (6150m) and back to Base camp.9 to 10 hrs
Wake up early in morning to start the climb which crosses the glacier and then start climbing up the steep slope to the summit ridge. A couple of hours of scrambling on the ridge brings us to the summit of the Stok Kangri. The summit offers wide open views of the Karakoram range on the north with the Saser Kangri dominating the sky and Zanskar ranges on the south.
Day 08: Spare Summit day
Day 09: Trek to Stok village and drive to Leh 6 to 7 hrs trek and 1 hr drive.
We exit out of the Stok valley at Stok village. After washing up at the hotel we will have time enough to do last minute shopping in Leh market. Overnight hotel.
Day 10: Fly to Delhi.
It’s an early morning flight back to Delhi. Trip ends
- All travel from arrival at Leh airport on Day 01 till drop at Leh airport on Day 10(by non-ac car),
- All arrangements for staying and camping while on the trip,
- accommodation on twin share basis in tents / rest houses / hotels,
- All meals,
- Professional guide fee,
- Sanctuary fee / royalty / permits where applicable,
- All trekking arrangements with India’s most experienced guiding team, camp staff, cook etc.
- Del-Leh-Del Airfare,
- Railway station / airport transfers in Delhi,
- Any stay and meals in Delhi,
- Sleeping bag, items of personal clothing,
- Beverages at the Leh hotel,
- Individual climbing equipment,
- Expenses of a personal nature like laundry, phone calls, alcohol, cigarettes, insurance, camera fee
- Any costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances such as bad weather, landslides, road conditions and any other circumstances beyond our control.
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point: