Shantiniketan (Santiniketan) Day Trip from Kolkata
The home of Rabindranath Tagore, "The Bard of Bengal," the famous poet and Nobel Prize winner. Shantiniketan is considered a must-visit on a trip to Kolkata.
- Take a tour of Shantiniketan and explore what one of the best poets in India has left behind.
- Visit places like the Vishwa-Bharati University, Tagore's Ashrama, Chattimtala, and many more during this tour.
- Service of an experienced driver and a well-maintained car.
Connect with us Live by clicking 'Chat' button or WhatsApp Click here
Santiniketan, founded in 1901 by the renowned poet and philosopher Rabindranath Tagore in rural West Bengal, served as both a residential school and an art center. It was inspired by ancient Indian traditions and Tagore's vision of human unity that transcended religious and cultural differences.
Shantiniketan is home to Rabindranath Tagore, the one whose contribution to Bengali literature is undeniably the greatest, and he is also the one who has written the national anthem of India. Shantiniketan houses the Vishwa-Bharati University, which has several complexes of fine arts training and literature from several regions of the world. Shantiniketan also has complexes, which were established by Tagore's father, Maharishi Devendranath Tagore. Overall, this tour will give you a chance to understand the philosophies of the "Bard of Bengal" and explore the rich heritage he has left behind.
Shantiniketan (Santiniketan) Day Trip from Kolkata Itinerary
- The tour starts with your pick-up from the hotel/residence at a time selected during the booking.
- The drive to Shantiniketan from the city of Kolkata is about 3.5 hours.
- Once in Shantiniketan, visit the Vishwa-Bharati University. There are several complexes in the university, and cars are not allowed inside, so guests will have to walk on foot or take a local rickshaw to cover the area.
- The names of a few of the complexes are as follows:
- Cheena Bhavana (Chinese study centre)
- Hindi Bhavana (Hindi study centre)
- Nippon Bhavana (Indo-Japanese studies)
- Kala Bhavana, the college of fine arts and crafts, houses a museum exhibiting sculptures, frescoes and murals, as well as a library of art books
- Sangeet Bhavana (College of Music and Dance) and many more.
- The university visiting hours are winters: 2:00 pm till 4:30 pm and in summers it is 2:30 pm till 5:30 pm and during vacations it is 7:30 am till 11:00 am.
- After the university tour, visit Tagore's ashram, which was built by Rabindranath Tagore's father.
- Amar Kutir, a major attraction in Shantiniketan, is located in the vicinity of the Vishwa-Bharati University.
- It displays several locally made handicrafts, which include leather-printed bags, printed cloth, etc.
- Visit the Rabindra Bhavan Museum, built in 1961, which houses original manuscripts, letters, and paintings by Tagore.
- Chattimtala is also a popular place in Shantiniketan; this is where Tagore's father, Devendranath Tagore, used to meditate.
- You may also visit the Deer Park, which is a lush green piece of land and is home to several numbers of deer and birds.
- If you have planned your trip for a Saturday, you may have a chance to witness the Khoai Mela, where artisans from nearby places gather to sell several household artefacts, clothes, and handicrafts.
- On completion of the tour, start your journey back to Kolkata and get dropped off at your hotel/residence.
- This is not a guided tour; the driver will not be the guide for the tour.
- This is an outstation tour; hence, the vehicle cannot be used for the local city tour.
- Hotel pickup and drop (within city limits).
- Charges for the private air-conditioned cab.
- The driver and fuel charges.
- Usage of the vehicle for up to 350 kilometres as per the itinerary (Extra kilometre charges will be applicable after the limit, please refer Important Information Section for details).
Why book with TRODLY
- Best Price Guarantee
- Verified customer reviews that help you make the right decision.
- Qualified operators. All partner operators selected after rigorous system of checks.
- Free Cancellation on Most Trips
- Only Best Trips - Our team of travel experts bring uniquely local, safe, and exciting experiences to the community.
- 100% Secured Payments
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point
₹ 8100 Per Vehicle
Get trip inspirations, offers and more.