Spiti Valley Roadtrip in Private Car from Manali
An 8-day road trip to the 'Middle Land', Spiti Valley in Himachal Pradesh. Experience the culture, landscape and visit the famous Monasteries of Spiti.
- Explore the places like the Tabo Monastery, Key Monastery, Key monastery and Langza the closest and last village to the Indo-China border.
- Visit the world's highest Post Office in Hikkim Monastery.
- Explore the highest motorable villages in Asia.
- Service of an experienced driver cum guide to drive you in Spiti.
The name “Spiti” means “The Middle Land”, i.e. the land between Tibet and India. Spiti valley is home to some of the oldest monasteries (Tabo, Sherkhang and Dhankar- all around 1000 years old), highest motorable villages in Asia (Langza and Komic), highest post office in the world (Hikkim), Chandrataal lake, beautiful and vast landscape, ancient and intact culture and simple people. Spiti valley possesses a distinctive Tibetan Buddhist culture similar to that found in Tibet and Ladakh region of India. Along the northern route from Manali or Keylong via the Rohtang or Kunzum Pass respectively, the valley lies in the North East of the Indian hill state of Himachal Pradesh and forms part of the Lahaul and Spiti district.
Spiti valley is a research and cultural centre for Buddhists. Highlights include Kye Monastery and Tabo Monastery, one of the oldest monasteries in the world and a favourite of the Dalai Lama. The Buddhist monastery in the valley served as the locus of the set and some of the monks appeared in the film. The Pin Valley of Spiti is home to the few surviving Buchen Lamas of the Nyingmapa sect of Buddhism. Spiti is summer home to hundreds of semi-nomadic Gaddi sheep and goat herders who come to this valley for grazing their animals from the surrounding villages and sometimes as far as 250 km. They enter the valley during summer as the snow melts and leave just a few days before the first snowfall of the season.
Day 1: Arrive in Manali and local tour
- Reach Manali from the overnight journey. The team will pick you up from Manali Bus Depot and transfer you to the hotel, pre-booked for you.
- Relax and spend some time at the hotel enjoying the picturesque view of mountains and the town.
- Go for a guided acclimatization walk to old Manali town. Visit Hidimba temple and get a chance to interact with local people selling various hand made products (You may also choose to hike to nearby forest and waterfall area).
- Overnight stay and dinner will be arranged at the hotel for you.
Day 2: Drive from Manali to Kaza via Rohtang Pass (220 km/ 8-9 hours)
- Get ready for an adventurous journey talking you to some of the remote yet picturesque places. First stop would be Rohtang Pass (3987 metres).
- Spend some time at the pass and head to Spiti valley. You will begin to notice the change in terrain once we enter Spiti valley.
- After crossing Gramphoo, be amazed at the astonishing beauty of Spiti valley. Enjoy the view of amazing waterfalls, snow-capped mountains, harsh terrain as your drive takes you along Chandra river in non-existent roads.
- You will reach Kaza in the evening. Relax as this has been a long and tiring day. Enjoy local tea while you appreciate the calmness of the place.
- Stay overnight in Kaza.
Day 3: Kaza to Key & Khibber & Back (40 km / 2 hours)
- Today is essentially an acclimatization day. You may choose to relax at the hotel or else take a walk morning to Kaza village (only if you are feeling ok).
- After breakfast take a tour of Key Monastery and Khibber Village. The Key monastery is situated on top of a mountain overlooking Spiti valley.
- Key Monastery founded in the 11th century is a prominent learning centre of Buddhism. The monastery has a collection of ancient murals and books, including Buddha images.
- From here you shall go up a little further and visit Khibber Village (4270 metres) - which was once the world’s highest village.
- Enjoy a picnic for lunch by the river, later return to Kaza and relax at the hotel.
- You will be staying overnight in Kaza.
Day 4: Kaza to Tabo & Dhankar (65 km/ 2.5 hours)
- After the breakfast, leave for Tabo Monestry known as “Ajanta of the Himalayas”. Tabo Monastery is a 1000-year old monastery and has nine temples, stupas, and cave shrines.
- The paintings date to the 10th-11th centuries for the main temple (Tsug la Khang), 13th-14th centuries for the stupas, and from the 15th to the 20th centuries for all the other temples. Immerse in the beauty of the place witnessing history and architecture of the place.
- A short hike to the meditation caves is also possible, depending on time available. Next visit Dhankar Monastery -Seat of the King in ancient times - the most beautiful setting of a monument which hangs on a cliff and overlooks the confluence of Spiti and Pin River.
- You can hike to Dhankar lake if you feel like.
- You will be staying overnight in Tabo.
Day 5: Tabo to Sangam, Mudh, Langza (90 km /4 hours)
- Today’s adventure takes us to the last village in Pin Valley: Mudh.
- After breakfast, we head towards Pin valley: land of Snow Leopards and Ibex. A short stop at Khungri Monastery on the way to Mudh.
- Explore the village and spend some time in Mudh and head to Langza (4300 metres) for a homestay. Langza is famous for its fossils and a statue of Buddha overlooking the mountain ranges.
- This will be your first day with a local family. Enjoy your evening while sipping local tea and talking to your host and stay overnight in Langza.
Day 6: Langza to Komic, Chandrataal (125 km / 5 hours)
- On day 6, say goodbye to your host in the morning as you set out for Chandrataal Lake (4250 metres).
- On the way a short visit to Komic- the highest monastery in Asia. Continue the journey crossing Lohsar village and Kunzum Pass on our way.
- A small hike will lead you to Chandrataal- Lake of the moon (named after its crescent shape) is around 1 km long and will leave you speechless.
- You will be staying overnight at a camp near Chandrataal Lake.
Day 7: Chandrataal to Manali (120 km / 7 hours)
- Wake up in the morning to witness the changing colours of the lake.
- Enjoy your breakfast while appreciating this scenic place. Leave for Manali after breakfast.
- This is the last leg of your Spiti trip, gaze at the mountains as you approach the hustle and bustle of Rohtang Pass and Manali.
- You can spend some time at Rohtang if time permits, reach Manali by evening.
- You will be staying in Manali for the night.
Day 8: Trip ending day
- After breakfast leave for a walking tour of Manali town.
- You may also choose to explore various places like Solang valley (for paragliding, and skiing during winters), Jana waterfall (try local cuisine at Mani Ram Dhaba), rafting, Naggar castle, museum and art gallery, various temples, monasteries or take a dip in hot sulphur water, the hosts will be there to guide you.
- You may board a Volvo bus for departure to your onward destination.
- Meals - 7 breakfast and 7 dinners.
- Transportation charges Tata Sumo/ Mahindra Bolero.
- Accommodation as per the itinerary (find hotel names in Additional Info section).
- Service of an experienced driver cum guide for the trip.
- Driver allowances, all tolls and fuel charges.
- Cost of permits.
- Service of a guide during the Old Manali tour.
- Any meals which are not mentioned in the inclusions.
- Any kind of insurance.
- Transportation from home city.
- Monument entry charges.
- Any expenses of personal nature.
- Anything not mentioned in the inclusions above.
Why book with TRODLY
- Best Price Guarantee
- Verified customer reviews that help you make the right decision.
- Qualified operators. All partner operators selected after rigorous system of checks.
- Free Cancellation on Most Trips
- Only Best Trips - Our team of travel experts bring uniquely local, safe, and exciting experiences to the community.
- 100% Secured Payments
Part Payment Policy
- Book with 10% of the total amount if you book more than 30 days in advance.
- Booking amount is non-refundable.
Children below 3 years of age are strictly not allowed for this tour.
- Tabo- Trojan Guesthouse/ Tiger Den / similar
- Kaza- Sakya Abode/Snow Lion/ Kunphens Guesthouse / similar
- Langza- Lara Homestay / similar
- Chandrataal- Parasol Camps / similar
- Manali- Drifters' Cafe and Inn/ Dragon Guesthouse / similar
- The SUVs used in the tour would be Tata Sumo/ Mahindra Bolero.
- The room is allocated to members charged at adult pricing only.
- If there are any additional expenses due to bad weather or any other reason beyond the control of the tour operator on account of hotel stay, transportation, and meals etc. extra bill will be raised. Neither Trodly nor the participating suppliers/hotels will be responsible for the additional expenses.
Things to Pack
- Mandatory Documents
- 2 Copies of this itinerary.
- Valid photo ID for each member.
- 2 passport size photograph.
- Heavy Woolen Clothing including woollen socks (Severe Cold / Snow)
- Windproof Woolen Hand Gloves (Severe Cold / Snow), Ponchos
- At least 2 pairs of thermal.
- Hats / Caps
- Sunscreen lotion (SPF 50 or greater) or Sunblock
- 2-3 Extra Shorts
- An extra slipper and an extra towel for backpack
- Long-sleeved over a shirt and a thin pair of pants as the night gets a bit cold
- Handy torch
- Hand Sanitiser (Dettol, Lifebuoy) – Recommended
- Small water bottle, 1 Ltr - 2 units
- Chocolates, toffees, chips, chewing gums, mouth freshener, dry fruits etc.
- Personal toiletry kit - Toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, tissue papers, hair oil, moisturising cream, cold cream, lip balm.
- Mobile & amp; Mobile Charger, Power bank. Limited connectivity in Leh. No connectivity in Ladakh-Nubra/Pangong/Shyam Valley
- Full refund if cancelled before* 7 days
- 50% refund if cancelled before 3 days
- No refund after that
*Advance payment is non-refundable
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point
- Manali Bus Stand, Manali, Himachal Pradesh.
- The local person details and phone number will be shared in the booking voucher, sent to you via email.
₹ 29490 Per Person
Similar Exciting Activities
Manali, Lahaul & Spiti
Get trip inspirations, offers and more.