Kedar Tal Trek In The Greater Himalayas
Witnessing the magnificence of the Greater Himalayas, camping beside the placid Kedar lake (Tal) with the imposing snow-capped peaks all around, the trek to Kedar Tal will be a demanding one but it is sure to leave you with nothing but some great experiences.
- An offbeat trek to the lake located deep inside the Himalayas
- Camp beside the lake and at the foot of towering snow-covered peaks
- One of the few treks in which you can see the blue sheep or bharals.
- Witness the delightful sunset at the backdrop of Thalaysagar (6904 m), a quartz mountain
- An opportunity to set up camp in the gorgeous valleys
Why Choose this?
- Low batch requirement: Guaranteed departure for even 2-member group
- Small convenient batch size: The convenience of a small batch size for best service quality. Maximum of 12 members per group.
- Road transportation: All road transportation after the reporting point is included in the cost. Trekking group travels together comfortably.
- Tented accommodation: 2 people per tent throughout the trek.
- International grade equipment quality: We use tents from international brand Vango for the treks.
- Service of experience guide: We use tents from international brand Vango Halo 300, weather tested beyond the European standard EN5912.
A six-day five-night trek starting from Gangotri. You will reach the Kedartal lake at the end of day three. There, you can spend a day enjoying the beauty of the lake and the surrounding snow-capped mountains. Camping at Kedartal with towering mountains all around will be one of a kind experience. You will have Mt Thalaysagar, Mt Bhrigupanth, Manda Parvat, Mt Jogin, Mt Gangotri all rising up right outside your tent. On day five you can start trekking back to Gangotri and reach there by the end of the day.
Day-1: Dehradun to Gangotri (3415 m) 10-12 hrs
Report at Dehradun railway station by 6:30 am, we group up and start our drive to Gangotri. It'll a long drive so everyone is expected to report on time to avoid any inconvenience for rest of the group members. We take the road and drive to Gangotri. After dinner, it will be time to rest for next day's trek. Overnight stay in Gangotri.
Day-2: Gangotri (3415 m) to Bhoj Kharak (3780 m) 5-6 hrs – 8 km
This days trek will be 8 km (5-6 hrs) long as we follow the Kedar Ganga (Lord Shiva's contribution to Bhagirathi), all the while enjoying the thundering sound of the river which comes from Kedartal. The trek to Bhoj Kharak begins with a steep hike through fir forests. After that, we will be trekking through the Kedar gorge before we reach the camp for spending the night. Overnight stay in tents
Day-3: Bhoj Kharak to Kedar Kharak (4270 m) 5-6 hrs – 4 km
Our second day of trekking will be 4 km (4-5 hrs) long, which passes through a beautiful birch (Bhojpatra) forest. The Bhrigupanth (6772 m) peak provides a nice backdrop as we make our way across the long meadow, where the shepherds come to graze their sheep and goats. In terms of distance, it will be a short day. But the terrain we cover will be a bit difficult. With the help of our professional guide and some patience and caution from your side, you can negotiate them without much trouble.
Day-4: Kedar Kharak to Kedar Tal (4912 m) 4-5 hrs – 5 km
This day we will reach our destination which is Kedar Tal. The trek to there (Kedar Tal) is considered to be laborious because you will have to cross a tricky terrain with huge boulders. It is a maze of rocks and easy to get around with some patience. If you look closely you can see little clamps that have been placed on the route to the lake to help you pass those tricky places. Kedar Tal is one of the most enchanting glacial lakes with the majestic Thalaysagar behind it. Thalaysagar (6,904 m), a quartz mountain also known as Sphatik (quartz) is truly a delight to see during sunset!
Day-5: Rest Day at Kedar Tal
This entire day will be used for exploring the surroundings of the lake or to take a rest after the tedious trek. Make sure, you get up early so that you can catch a glimpse of the magnificent sunrise and reflections off the lake and surrounding peaks!
Day-6: Kedar Tal to Gangotri - 6-8 hrs - 16 km
Wake up early and trek all the way back to Gangotri. Overnight stay in a guest house.
Day-7: Gangotri to Dehradun
We have breakfast and checkout from the guest house at Gangotri for Dehradun. We are expected to reach Dehradun by 7 to 8 pm. Trek ends up on reaching Dehradun. From here members have 2 options, either to stay in Dehradun for the night or board a late night train - Nanda Devi Express for Delhi and rest in the comfortable overnight train.
- Transportation as per the itinerary in shared vehicle
- Transportation from Dehradun and back
- Service of experienced mountain guide & helper staff
- Tented accommodation during the trek - twin sharing basis
- Camping arrangement (tent, sleeping bag, camping mattress, camping stools, mess tent, toilet tent and First Aid)
- All meals (from dinner on day-1 to breakfast on day-6)
- Porter/Mule for carrying camping equipment & ration
- All permits and forest fees
- Insurance of any kind
- Porterage for personal luggage
- Meals during road journey
- Anything not specified in inclusions
Why book with TRODLY
- Best Price Guarantee
- Verified customer reviews that help you make the right decision.
- Qualified operators. All partner operators selected after rigorous system of checks.
- Free Cancellation on Most Trips
- Only Best Trips - Our team of travel experts bring uniquely local, safe, and exciting experiences to the community.
- 100% Secured Payments
Best Season: May-Jun | Sep-Oct
Level: Moderate to Difficult
Total Distance: 30 km
Maximum Elevation: 4912 m - Kedar Tal
Weather: The nights can be cold, day temperatures are pleasant during the season
- 75% refund if cancelled before 15 days
- 50% refund if cancelled before 7 days
- No refund after that
*Advance payment is non-refundable
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
We keep our groups small for better over all experience. Typically our group size is between 6 to 10 trekkers. On few long weekends and holidays could see a group size of upto 15.
14 travellers found this helpful
We serve delicious Indian vegetarian food and eggs during the trek.
8 travellers found this helpful
Yes all published dates are final and departures are guaranteed. Even if that its just you, we will proceed with the trek.
12 travellers found this helpful
Toilet tents are set-up at the campsites. These are dry-pit temporary toilets and most hygienic as well as convenient way to answer nature’s call in the wild.
10 travellers found this helpful
You will receive good network up to the towns of Mussoorie, Rishikesh. Beyond these network is intermittent and quite weak. Please inform anxious family members in advance that you will be out of coverage area during this trek. There will be no electric charging points anywhere on the trek.
9 travellers found this helpful
Ideally trekking shoes/boots with ankle support are needed for any trek in the Himalayan region. Quechua shoes available at Decathlon are a value for money option.
2 travellers found this helpful
Our tented accommodation is provided at twin sharing basis. The tents that we provide are best in class and are professional grade. You can read more about it here: http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/blog/15_vango-halo-300-technical-trekking-tent.html
10 travellers found this helpful
Similar Exciting Activities
Get trip inspirations, offers and more.