Where Eagles Dare: Trek to Lake Brighu and Paraglide to Manali
“Once you have tasted flight you shall forever walk the earth looking at the sky, for there I’ve been and there I long to return” -Leonardo Da Vinci
It is not every day that an opportunity to trek and explore one of the most exotic locations in the Dhauladhar range of the Himalaya, Lake Bhrighu, and then to fly back from there to the Solang valley will present itself. As any new adventure has its life cycle, so does para-trekking. Being a fairly new concept in India, it is gradually but sure footedly gaining popularity. Just 3 days and 2 nights are so overloaded with adrenaline and packed with action and different textures of adventure ranging from trekking to hiking to flying to camping to lush green locales to the most exotic flora and fauna, you can safely say that para-trekking has it all.
Doing justice to its name, “Valley of the Gods”, Kullu valley offers the adventure seekers and nature lovers in us, an awe inspiring trek to the holy “Lake Bhrighu” at an altitude of 4,235 mts. Legend has it, Rishi Bhrighu meditated at Bhrighu Lake and wrote “Bhrighu Samhita” and hence, the lake was so named. Natives believe that the Gods of the Kullu valley take a dip in this holy lake, most significant of them being Rishi Vashisht who traverses to the sacred lake at least once in 2 to3 year. Hence, it is so revered by all.
Lake Bhrighu is situated to the east of Rohtang Pass and is around 6 km from the beautiful Gulaba. It is a beautiful, lush green meadow in the Pir Panjal mountain range. Gulaba, which has forests of Fir, Oak and high altitude White Oak trees, is where the adventure begins.
Close to habitation, yet at a secluded, lush green dale, Lake Brighu boasts of crystal clear waters and is a trek worth embarking on. What tops the adventure is the adrenaline rush you get when you paraglide over the beautiful expanses and meadows and land in Solang valley near Manali.
Here is where truly, “The Eagles Dare”.
Day 1: Manali – Gulaba – Rola Kholi (3830 m), Time taken: 2 hour drive 5 hour trek
The drive to the meadows of Gulaba from our base will take about 2 hours. The trek commences from Gulaba. The meandering forest trails from Gulaba to Rola Kholi will leave you with an unforgettable sweet intoxication of open meadows, orchards and sights and sounds one will never forget. The view of the Kullu Valley from this trail is something which keeps surprising one with its beauty.
Feast your eyes at the majestic Mt. Hanuman Tibba towering over the meadow in the background. Below Hanuman Tibba are the Seven Sister peaks seated in Beas Kund Valley.
Rola Kholi is a scenic grazing ground used by local shepherds. Located at the base of Bhrigu Lake, it makes for an ideal camping spot. You water source here is Chor Nallah, which flows across the camping ground. .
Day 2: Rola Kholi to Bhrigu Lake (4270 m) and then to camp site/ take-off site, Time taken: 7- 8 hours, 14 km
The trek from Rola Kholi to Bhrighu Lake is embedded with diamonds of snow. The camp site at Rola Kholi is a sight to remember. And then comes the reward: “God’s art work” at best: The mesmerizing Lake Bhrigu, which is beyond a ridge and at the foot of a snow covered mountain. On a sunny day, the lake reflects psychedelic hues of blue and when covered in snow, the sights are anyways unforgettable. Spend the day here and take in the sights and sounds and textures of Lake Bhrigu. We trek back to our camp site/take-off site and chill with a bone warming bon fire and heart warming meal.
Day 3: Paraglide back to Solang valley, Flight Time: 1 hour
Wake up and gear up for the thrill of a life time. Depending on the weather condition (the Mountain Gods can be a bit unpredictable J), we paraglide back to Solang valley flying across the lush green expanses. The time spent high up in the air about 1 hour and words do not do justice to the view from up there. You have to be up there to experience flying at almost 15000 feet with mind blowing views of the Dhauladhar, The Great Himalayan and Pir Panjal ranges.
So, I will leave it for you to paint your own picture. :)
Once we land in Solang, cabs will take us back to dA Base to unwind for the rest of the day.
**Guests who are travelling the next day are welcome to stay the night at no extra cost. Relax at the base camp or go angling (some nice spots near our base) the next day, before we part ways here to meet soon for our next adventure.
Live like there is no tomorrow.
- Stay at our Base (room) located in an orchard in Haripur on the night before and after trek
- Tandem paragliding flight
- Stay in 2/3/4 men tents during trek
- All meals during the trek (freshly cooked high nutrition veg)
- Experienced MOI/BMC and rescue management qualified lead guide and qualified assistant guide
- Entry fees, permit to trek and forest camping charges in the region for the entire duration of the trek, wherever applicable.
- All the Camping arrangements like tents, sleeping bags etc.
- Cook and helper
- Pony/ porter for your personal stuff (max. 10 kg per person strictly).
- All transportation as per itinerary in local cars and jeeps
- Guaranteed amazing Himalayan experiential adventure holiday.
- Cost of travel to and from your home city
- Cost of any form of insurance (Personal/Baggage/Medical)
- Cost of rescue, evacuation, hospitalization, etc.
- Any expenses of purely personal nature like laundry, phone/Fax calls, tips to drivers, guides, any beverages.
- A nominal cost for choice of veg/non-veg meals with bonfire, wood fire barb-q (dinner) at dA Base in Haripur, Manali on free stay days
- Any other service or item not specified above
- Any expenses that arise due to change in itinerary and increase in no. of days because of natural forces like landslides, weather, roadblocks, flight cancellations, sickness etc.
Why book with TRODLY
- Best Price Guarantee
- Verified customer reviews that help you make the right decision.
- Qualified operators. All partner operators selected after rigorous system of checks.
- Free Cancellation on Most Trips
- Only Best Trips - Our team of travel experts bring uniquely local, safe, and exciting experiences to the community.
- 100% Secured Payments
- Meal types: Veg- during trek, Choice of non-veg at base
- Accommodation Types: 3/4 men tents, and 3-4 in a room at dA Base in Haripur.
- Transportation Types: Bolero/ Sumo
Things to carry on activity -
Woollen cap, Waterproof gloves, Thermal under-garments, Warm sweater, Woollen trousers / Thick track pants for Trekking, Woollen socks, Rain gear (Jacket, trousers/ Parkha), Warm jacket, Torch, Full sleeves T – Shirts, Sun block lotion, A pair of Sun Glasses, Chap-stick (lip salve), Good hiking (preferably waterproof) shoes with ankle support, Gators, Camera, films, battery backup etc., One duffel bag for your personal items-To be carried by pony – strictly not more than 10 kgs, Suitcases, skybags and like will not be accepted to be carried by pony, One knapsack for item of daily use (To be carried by you), Personal Medication
Advisory about activity –
- We suggest guests arrive at our base in Haripur, 14 kms from Manali on the Naggar road, the day before the start of the trek. Although we’ll travel arrangements for participants, who’ve made alternate arrangements for their stay in Manali to reach the starting point of trek.
- All guests are welcome to stay with compliments at our Base in Haripur, Manali in rooms on sharing basis. Unwind, relax, go angling, and interact with the team over BBQ and bonfire (**) before commencing the trek next morning and also on the day of return.
- If coming straight to our base in Haripur from Delhi, get down at Patlikuhl bus stand, 14 km short of New Manali bus stand.
- Do not forget your camera’s extra batteries.
- Wear clothes you are comfortable in and do not forget waterproof jackets and warm clothing.
- A pair of good trekking shoes is a must and packing a pair of gaiters is suggested.
- Soak up the atmosphere – close your eyes and take in the sights and sounds as you explore and observe.
- Do not litter the environment. Polythene and plastics are non-biodegradable and unhealthy for the environment and must not be littered or burned and carried back.
- If cancellations are made 30 days before the start date of the trip, 50% of booking value will be charged as cancellation fees.
- If cancellations are made within 0-30 days before the start date of the trip, 100% of booking value will be charged as cancellation fees.
- In case of unforeseen weather conditions or government restrictions, certain activities may be cancelled and in such cases we will try our best to provide an alternate feasible activity. However no refund will be provided for the same.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Some of our own trek leaders are qualified, experienced ladies. All treks are extremely safe for ladies and we have a lot of solo clients who are ladies.
5 travellers found this helpful
There are no doctors on the trek; however our trek leaders are experienced in first aid and basic medical protocols.
4 travellers found this helpful
Our thoroughly researched itineraries are designed to offer you access to some of the world\'s best-kept secrets. We have personally explored the destinations we offer with in-depth knowledge that goes towards making your experience more than worth your while. However, at times due factors beyond any one’s control, situations may arise which can pose a challenge to the safety and security of the group members. To minimize any negative impact, we subscribe strictly to “Safety Protocol” which is an intensive and comprehensive compilation of safety and security measures undertaken to ensure a seamless and safe experience for its guests. There are factors which are controllable and attention to them ensures lower risks and toned down consequences.
8 travellers found this helpful
You need to carry an original ID card and a photograph.
4 travellers found this helpful
Our trip will start from the base camp in Haripur, 14 km short of Manali. If you are travelling by Volvo bus, you are requested to de-board at the Patlikuhal bus stand and we will receive you from there and drive you to the base camp
3 travellers found this helpful
The water during the trip is fresh and it is recommended to carry your personal reusable water bottles and filters as well.
5 travellers found this helpful
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point
Similar Exciting Activities
Also viewed by other travellers
Manali, Lahaul & Spiti
Get trip inspirations, offers and more.