Trodly App

Book on app to avail discounts

Logo
World India Tamil Nadu Chennai Pulicat Lake Bird Sanctuary

Pulicat Lake Bird Sanctuary , Chennai

Type of Destination
Beaches, Wildlife, Lake
Languages Spoken
Telugu, Tamil & English
Ideal Trip Duration
1 Day
Pulicat Lake Bird Sanctuary Altitude
9m

Best time to visit Pulicat Lake Bird Sanctuary

Nearby railway stations

Airports near Pulicat Lake Bird Sanctuary

India Tamil Nadu Pulicat Lake Bird Sanctuary

About Pulicat Lake Bird Sanctuary

Pulicat Lake Bird Sanctuary or Pulicat Lake is one of the well-known tourist places in Tamil Nadu. It is situated on the Barricade Island of ShrihariKota. The total area of the Pulicat is 720 sq km among which 84% falls within Andhra Pradesh Border and remaining 16% within Tamil Nadu State.. Pulicat is considered as one of the famous destinations for Ornithologists and bird watchers. It is India’s second largest brackish water ecosystem. Chilika in Orissa ranks first in that kind. The serene atmosphere of Pulicat Lake is a blessing of this region. The Lake spread across Tiruvallur District of Tamilnadu and Nellore Tada, Doravari Satram, Sullurpeta, Chittamuru Mandal and Vakadu of Andhra Pradesh.

Mild and pleasant climatic condition makes the spot a comfortable spot for tourists. The lake has an opening of 200m width narrow mouth to the Bay of Bengal at the southern end. Sriharikota Island, a sandbar closes the rest of the part from the Bay of Bengal. The region is receiving rainfall between 800mm to 2000mm. The magnificent view and captivating environment allures enormous tourists from all over world.

Pulicat town is located close to this water lagoon formed from the Bay of Bengal. It lies north of Chennai. Rivers Arani, Kalangi and Swarnamukhi feed this lagoon as well. The lagoon is considered as the habitat for a large number of organisms. It includes different species of fish, worms, prawns, mollusc etc. Lake offers habitat for more than 100 species of both terrestrial and aquatic birds, small mammals and reptiles. The sanctuary becomes temporary points for migratory birds from Eastern Europe and Central Asia during winters. Up to 15,000 flamingos may attract to sanctuary during the winter season. Bird watcher can check out large numbers of Flamingos, Duck, Herons, Cranes, and Painted Stork. Tourists can see that the entire Pulicat Lake was covered with pink carpet as the Flamingos settles over the lake. The Tamil Nadu Tourism Corporation organizes the Flamingo Festival in Mid-December each year.

Monsoon season fill the lake with fresh water and a huge quantity of tiny plants in the lake which feeds aquatic life like fishes etc. This helps to attract more wetland birds to this region. Pulicat lake to Chennai distance is about 60 Kms.

4.0 ( 3 )

Location & Places to Visit on Pulicat Lake Bird Sanctuary Map

How to reach Pulicat Lake Bird Sanctuary
travel guide
places to see

Freedom to make your own trip!

What you want, when you want and how you want.

Request a trip

Places to Visit near Pulicat Lake Bird Sanctuary

Between 0 to 100 kms of Pulicat Lake Bird Sanctuary
All Categories
Adventure
Hills
Jungle
Beaches
Art & History
Religious
Total Attractions: 34
Sort by

Chennai Tours & Activities

Total Activities: 27

Pulicat Lake Bird Sanctuary travel tips & reviews

Rate this destination

Got an insider’s tip that might help a fellow traveller? Do share it.

Post a Pulicat Lake Bird Sanctuary Tip or Review
POST

Other travellers left Pulicat Lake Bird Sanctuary reviews and tips for you

Be the first to give a tip or leave a comment

Get trip inspirations, offers and more.

In The News