Muziris Cultural Tour From Kochi
Get yourself acquainted with the array of faiths and the history of the glory days of Malabar Coast. Muziris is the name of an ancient port city trading spices, silk, and precious stones to Rome, Greece, Egypt, etc. Enriched by these trade contacts, Muziris became a melting pot of world cultures. Century-old buildings reflecting Dutch and British architecture, Palaces of the local kings, old mosques, a synagogue and the one thing sure to expect from such a place, a vibrant culture!
- Experienced guide
- Local cuisine
- Guided tour
- Cultural tour
- With your pickup from the hotel at 9 am, we will start our tour with a visit to the Old Synagogue of the Malabar Jews in Chennanmangalam and Paravoor. A synagogue built under Kerala architecture to suit the ritual and liturgical requirements of the earliest Jewish landed on the Malabar Coast. After that a visit to Palace ‘Paliam Kovilakam’ inspired by Dutch and Kerala architecture. The Palace was the residence of the Paliath Achans, prime ministers to the Rajas of the State of Kochi.
- Next visit the Cheraman Juma Masjid: The first mosque in India, built after the Chera king of Kerala met the Prophet, Muhammad. After that, you will have a chance to walk around an interesting and colourful local market.
- Enjoy a lunch break in a vegetarian local spot on your way to the Hindu temple Kodungalloor Bhagavathi, dedicated to Goddess Bhadrakali. Step into the powerful myths and legends; the temple attracts many pilgrims for its daily rituals and festivals.
- Then your guide will accompany you to the Pattanam Museum located where recent archaeological excavations have revealed evidence of early Roman trade with India. Finally the last stop at the Kottakavu Church of the Syrian Christian community of Kerala believed to be one of the seven original churches established by the Apostle St. Thomas.
- Return to your hotel or follow toward your next destination.
- English speaking guide for the whole tour
- Private guided tour
- Hotel pick-up & drop
- Activities as per mentioned in the itinerary
- Entrances fees
- Please dress conservatively as we will be visiting religious monuments.
- Women are not allowed inside the Cheraman Juma Masjid.
- The Bhagavathy Temple does not allow non-Hindus to enter the inner sanctum.
- Museums, Palaces and Synagogues closed on Monday
- Private guided tour.
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point:
- Meet & Greet your friendly driver at your Hotel lobby in Kochi
- The operator will be in contact with you to coordinate the pick up time and itinerary