Bhubaneshwar and Konark Sun Temple Guided Tour
10 hours guided sightseeing tour of Bhubaneshwar city along with a visit to the famous Konark Sun Temple, with a local guide, which is the best way to explore the capital of Odisha.
- Visit the ancient remains in the majestic Dhauli hills.
- Explore the Khandagiri and Udayagiri caves and understand the history of it.
- Also, take a tour of the Konark Sun Temple and the Raja Rani Temple.
- Company of an experienced guide during this tour.
Bhubaneswar city tour is a great way to experience the cultural highlights of the city in one day. The tour starts at Dhauli wherein 260 BC Emperor Ashoka gave up war and became Buddhist after which you visit the grand Sun Temple at Konark with its mesmerizing sundials in the form of wheels of the chariot. You also visit the exquisite carvings at Buddhist caves of Khandagiri Udayagiri before winding up the day at the erotically carved Raja Rani Temple.
- You will be received by your hosts and driver at your hotel in Bhubaneshwar city limits. After a short meet and greet you will begin your day's tour.
- At around 8 AM your first destination of the day would be Dhauli, which is approximately 25 KM and which might take 40 minutes to reach.
- This is the venue of an ancient battle, Kalinga war which was fought in 260 BC.
- Your guide will narrate how emperor Ashoka, the great Mauryan King won the battle but upon seeing the bloodbath had a change of heart. He became a propagator of peace and had a big role in spreading Buddhism in India.
- You will get to see edicts of Ashoka embossed on rocks using the ancient Brahmi script and Prakrit language. The rock-cut Elephant sculpture here is one of the oldest in India.
- Next up you will visit the Shanti Stupa/Peace Pagoda in Dhauli, the current structure was built by an Indo-Japanese collaboration in 1972 by the Japan Buddha Sangh and the Kalinga Nippon Buddha Sangh.
- You will then be driven to Konark, to experience one of the greatest architectural masterpieces of India.
- Built in the 13th century by King Narasimhadeva, the temple is designed in the shape of a colossal chariot with seven horses and twelve wheels, carrying the sun god, Surya, across heavens. The Sun temple was known as ‘The Black Pagoda’ among early European sailors to the East.
- Lunch will be arranged at a local restaurant and you may relax for a bit there.
- After lunch you will be heading to the Udayagiri and Khandagiri Caves, these caves are dwelling retreats or cells of ancient Jain ascetics.
- These were built in the second century BC during the reign of King Kharavela of the Kalinga Kingdom.
- Next visit the Raja Rani Temple, this is a temple constructed in the 11th century from reddish and yellow sandstone. This material was called Rajarani in the local dialect and hence the temple got its name.
- The temple is famous for its unique sculptures of women. Women are in poses performing Odissi the traditional dance form as well as in everyday life moments.
- Your tour will end at around 6:30 PM after you are dropped back to your hotel in Bhubaneshwar.
- All transportation in private air-conditioned vehicle
- Service of a knowledgeable guide.
- Tour as per the itinerary.
- Monument entrance charges.
- Lunch during the tour.
- Driver and fuel charges.
- Any toll and parking charges
Why book with TRODLY
- Best Price Guarantee
- Verified customer reviews that help you make the right decision.
- Qualified operators. All partner operators selected after rigorous system of checks.
- Free Cancellation on Most Trips
- Only Best Trips - Our team of travel experts bring uniquely local, safe, and exciting experiences to the community.
- 100% Secured Payments
- Full refund if cancelled before* 48 hour
- 50% refund if cancelled before 24 hour
- No refund after that
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point
₹ 5500 Per Person
Get trip inspirations, offers and more.