Silk Tour in Pochampally Village from Hyderabad
A full-day guided tour of the village called Pochampally which is famous for its Silk Saree weavers, meet and learn about the decorated craft of weaving Silk Saree from the master craftsmen.
- Walk around the Pochampally village and interact with the weaving families who have mastered the art of Silk Saree weaving.
- Visit the Handloom Textile Park, learn a bit about dying, drying and designing stages of the making of a Pochampally Saree.
- Take a tour of the weaving museum and learn about the items which are showcased there.
- Hassles of transportation from and to Hyderabad is taken care of.
- Company of a knowledgeable local guide.
Silk Tour in Pochampally Village from Hyderabad is about a visit to a village called Pochampally famous for its saree weavers. You will meet a few weavers in their homes and interact with them. You will also visit a handloom textile park and a museum there to experience the art and craft of weaving these wonderful sarees which is the attire of the cabin crew of India’s national carrier, Air India. You will also see the village where Vinobha Bhave launched his Bhoodan Movement for the landless Indians.
- Your host cum guide for the tour will meet you at your hotel or residence address in Hyderabad city limits at 08:00 AM.
- After a short introduction session with the guide to commence the journey to Pochampally. The guide will travel will you in the same vehicle to explain more even during the road journey.
- Upon arrival in Pochampally, you will take a walk around Pochampally village, which is the home of the iconic weavers of Ikat style sarees popularly called Pochampally Sarees.
- The secret of Pochampally Saree weaving lies in using cotton, silk or a combination of the 2 fabrics and weave after transferring the intricate design and colouring onto warp and weft threads.
- Pochampally has traditional looms, whose design is more than a century old. There are around 5000 looms in this village which churn out these magical sarees.
- Next up you will visit the Handloom Textile Park and learn a bit about dying, drying and designing stages of the making of a Pochampally Saree.
- It is an integrated handloom textile designing, dyeing and weaving facility spread over 24 acres. Sarees, Stoles, Dupattas, Dress Materials, Upholstery Fabric and Home Furnishings are the main products made here.
- Your next stop of the tour would be the Weaving Museum, you visit a unique Weaving Museum where not only you get to learn about weaving but also about the history of the village and its connection with the revolutionary Bhoodan movement, which was led by Vinobha Bhave, a well-known advocate for non-violence and human rights.
- The museum showcases the stages involved in the unique Ikat design. The design is generated from a process of tie-and-dye to give different shades to the yarn before feeding into the next process of weaving.
- Ikat is the first Indian Textile process to obtain Intellectual Property Rights Protection under the Geographical Indications Act.
- After this museum tour take a lunch break at a local eatery. Post lunch you will visit a weaver's home, you will experience how saree weaving is a family affair where every member has a specific role to play in the process.
- The grandmother is in charge of winding bobbins, the wife is marking out the design on warp threads and the husband is weaving on a loom in the main living area.
- Low wages is affecting the handloom industry badly. Young people are no longer taking after the weaving trade. Unless drastic steps are taken to revive this industry, Pochampally Sarees could end up only in museums.
- A visit to their village helps in a small way to encourage the weavers and restore their pride in this craft.
- Your day's tour will end after you are dropped back to your hotel in Hyderabad at around 04:00 PM.
- Transportation in an air-conditioned vehicle for the duration of the tour.
- Pick-up and drop to the address in Hyderabad city limits.
- Tour as per the itinerary.
- Services of a knowledgable tour guide for the tour.
- Entry charges to places of visit.
- Lunch during the tour.
- Driver and fuel charges.
- Toll and parking charges for the cab.
Why book with TRODLY
- Best Price Guarantee
- Verified customer reviews that help you make the right decision.
- Qualified operators. All partner operators selected after rigorous system of checks.
- Free Cancellation on Most Trips
- Only Best Trips - Our team of travel experts bring uniquely local, safe, and exciting experiences to the community.
- 100% Secured Payments
- Full refund if cancelled before* 48 hour
- 50% refund if cancelled before 24 hour
- No refund after that
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point
₹ 5500 Per Person
Get trip inspirations, offers and more.