Gangotri, Gaumukh & Tapovan Trek
The Gomukh glacier is the source of Bhagirathi (Ganges) and is held in high esteem by the devout who do not miss the opportunity to have a holy dip in the bone chilling icy water.Gomukh is where the water of Ganga trickles down from the glaciers. The sages called it 'Gomukh', because in the distant past, it probably appeared like a cow's mouth. Tapovan is an ideal location for the tourists looking for peace and adventure. Tapovan is located on an altitude of 4463m / 14640ft above sea level. Tapovan known for its beautiful meadows that encircle the base camp of the Shivling peak, Tapovan is a very pleasant surprised spot with a large meadow complete with bubbling streams, wildflowers and campsites. Herds of Bharal (blue mountain goats) is a common sight from here on mountain ridges. On the far side of the glacier the Bhagirathi I, II, III (6454mt), provide an equally impressive backdrop.Every year this place has been visited by thousands of tourist including foreigners for adventure activity like mountaineering & trekking.
Day 01 : DEHRADOON - HARSIL
Arrival at Dehradoon early morning by train or bus. On arrival drive to harsil via Uttarkashi. Overnight at guesthouse/camping in harsil.
Day 02 : HARSIL - GANGOTRI (3048mts /10000ft) - BHOJWASSA (3792mts/12440ft)
Morning after breakfast we commence our road journey further to gangotri and trek onwards to Bhojbasa via Chirbasa (3600mt). From Gangotri we move along the beaten track towards Chirbasa, which is on tree line. The entire trek today is along the roaring Bhagirathi River. Beyond Chirbasa the terrain becomes really desolate and barren. In fact, it has been referred to as Artic Tundra by many trekkers. From Chirbasa we trek further to Bhojwassa, the entire trail passes through dense forest, Arrive Bhojbasa, there is a small temple and a potential campsite near down the river. We make our camp near river side. Afternoon free to explore the area and to enjoy excellent sunset on Bhagirathi group of peaks. Dinner and overnight stay in tents.
Day 03 : BHOJWASSA - GOMUKH (3890mts /12760ft ) - TAPOVAN (4463mts / 14640ft)
Early in the Morning enjoy the panoramic view of Bhagirathi group of peaks. After breakfast trek to Gomukh (3890mt), the source of the Ganges. Explore the area and trek to Tapovan, one of the finest high altitude alpine meadows in the area. The trek from Gomukh to Tapovan is ascent steep, and as we climb, the view of the surrounding peaks becomes clearer. They appear to be just a stone's throw away. It is also the little wonder where Sadhus and saints choose this spot for extended meditation during the long summer month. Arrive Tapovan and camp. Dinner and overnight stay in camp.
Day 04 : TAPOVAN (4463mts/ 14640ft)
Free to acclimatize, relax and enjoy the magnificent snow clapped peaks, flora & Fauna and mountain landscape. Dinner and overnight stay at the camp.
Day 05 : TAPOVAN - BHOJWASSA
Early morning enjoy the sunrise on high peaks. After breakfast trek down to Bhojbasa. Arrive Bhojbasa and camp.
Day 06 : BHOJWASSA - GANGOTRI
Morning after breakfast trek down to Gangotri. Dinner and overnight stay at the guesthouse.
Day 07 : GANGOTRI - DEHRADOON (245kms /9hrs)
Morning after breakfast drive to Dehradoon. Arrive at Dehradoon by nightfall.
- Guide and cook fees
- Rent for camping equipment
- Gorest entry charges
- Porter and mule support to carry camping equiptment. Please note that personal luggage will not be carried by mules and porters.
- All veg meals starting from day 1 dinner to day 7 breakfast. We provide hot breakfast and hot dinner. On trekking days packed lunch will be provided.
- Tented accommodation throughout the trek. Accommodation in guesthouses in Harsil and Gangotri.
- Transport to reach Dehradun from hometown
- Personal expenses like tips, medicines, phone calls etc
- Any transport support during the trek apart from what is included above
- Personal porter support will be chargeable at 200 Rs per bag per day.Weight of 1 bag should not increase 12 kgs.
- Any meals during the travel journey to Gangotri and back to Dehradoon.
- Rent for trekking shoes is Rs 200 per trekking day. The charges are applicable irrespective if the shoes are worn or not during the trek. Availability of shoes need to be confirmed with us.
- Rent for walking stick is Rs 50 per trekking day. The charges are applicable irrespective if the stick is used or not.
- Accommodation in Dehradoon.
Why book with TRODLY
- Best Price Guarantee
- Verified customer reviews that help you make the right decision.
- Qualified operators. All partner operators selected after rigorous system of checks.
- Free Cancellation on Most Trips
- Only Best Trips - Our team of travel experts bring uniquely local, safe, and exciting experiences to the community.
- 100% Secured Payments
Best Season: May-Jun | Sep-Nov
Total Distance: 30 km
Maximum Elevation: 4463m Tapovan
Weather: The nights can be cold, day temperatures are
pleasant during the season
Restrictions: Permit needs to be pre arranged
Getting From/To:Gangotri is connected by road to haridwar/dehradoon and is a 10 hr drive.
- 7+ Days: Full refund (after deducting any expenses that have been incurred for hotel bookings, transport, etc.)
- 7 Day Or Less: No refund
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
We keep our groups small for better over all experience. Typically our group size is between 6 to 10 trekkers. On few long weekends and holidays could see a group size of upto 15.
14 travellers found this helpful
We serve delicious Indian vegetarian food and eggs during the trek.
8 travellers found this helpful
Yes all published dates are final and departures are guaranteed. Even if that its just you, we will proceed with the trek.
12 travellers found this helpful
Toilet tents are set-up at the campsites. These are dry-pit temporary toilets and most hygienic as well as convenient way to answer nature’s call in the wild.
10 travellers found this helpful
You will receive good network up to the towns of Mussoorie, Rishikesh. Beyond these network is intermittent and quite weak. Please inform anxious family members in advance that you will be out of coverage area during this trek. There will be no electric charging points anywhere on the trek.
9 travellers found this helpful
Ideally trekking shoes/boots with ankle support are needed for any trek in the Himalayan region. Quechua shoes available at Decathlon are a value for money option.
2 travellers found this helpful
Our tented accommodation is provided at twin sharing basis. The tents that we provide are best in class and are professional grade. You can read more about it here: http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/blog/15_vango-halo-300-technical-trekking-tent.html
10 travellers found this helpful
Meet-up Information/Reporting Point
Similar Exciting Activities
Manali, Lahaul & Spiti
Also viewed by other travellers
Get trip inspirations, offers and more.